The BCS Is A Joke

The BCS Is A Joke

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Don't Like It Leave

Walking the earth.

Moves
09 Jan 09
1 edit

Sitting here watching this boring-ass BCS title game and wondering how, other than greed, a team that went undefeated is not playing, while two teams that are not undefeated get to play for the national championship. It's not as if Utah didn't play anybody; they dropped Alabama like a bad habit. Alabama was ranked first in the country for five weeks this year. Bad enough that our government doesn't represent our collective will; how we get this travesty foisted upon us instead of a real championship is beyond me. The BCS needs to go in the can and Division I college football should have a true national championship.

Going to bed with 11:33 left in this joke of a game because the true national champion has already been decided. Here's hoping that the AP finds the stones to do the right thing tomorrow.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
09 Jan 09

Originally posted by sasquatch672
Sitting here watching this boring-ass BCS title game and wondering how, other than greed, a team that went undefeated is not playing, while two teams that are not undefeated get to play for the national championship. It's not as if Utah didn't play anybody; they dropped Alabama like a bad habit. Alabama was ranked first in the country for five weeks t ...[text shortened]... ds to go in the can and Division I college football should have a true national championship.
If you bothered watching this game, I don't see Utah beating EITHER of these teams. They are both playing like titans. You have two Heisman winning QB's and two very tough defenses going against each other. Both of these teams have beaten better teams than Utah did. Look it up. I am so tired of listening to this undefeated underdog cries. Utah is closer to a champion that Boise State was. They are closer to a champion that BYU was, but they aren't as good as Florida or Oklahoma or Texas period!!

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
09 Jan 09

Sitting here watching this boring-ass BCS title game and wondering how, other than greed, a team that went undefeated is not playing, while two teams that are not undefeated get to play for the national championship. It's not as if Utah didn't play anybody; they dropped Alabama like a bad habit. Alabama was ranked first in the country for five weeks t ...[text shortened]... dy been decided. Here's hoping that the AP finds the stones to do the right thing tomorrow.
They won't change it. So a team like Utah, or Boise State will never have a chance to even be considered for a National Champioship because of who they play (despite dropping Bama!). The mystery of it all that needs to be solved is what would happen if they did play the supposed "best."

Anyway, I'm going to bed also. I already took off work March 19th and 20th, when the real NCAA tourney starts 😀

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
09 Jan 09

Originally posted by shortcircuit
If you bothered watching this game, I don't see Utah beating EITHER of these teams. They are both playing like titans. You have two Heisman winning QB's and two very tough defenses going against each other. Both of these teams have beaten better teams than Utah did. Look it up. I am so tired of listening to this undefeated underdog cries. Utah is closer ...[text shortened]... to a champion that BYU was, but they aren't as good as Florida or Oklahoma or Texas period!!
Eh, they still deserve a chance though, opinion and computer projections of who should be in this game is not good enough. There needs to be a playoff, even if just a four team one.

Moves
09 Jan 09

Yes, the BCS is a joke. The national champion should be decided on the field, not in the opinion(s) of those who think they know better.

Utah deserves a shot this year, and since Texas beat Oklahoma I think Texas should have been there. Oh well, the BCS has been stupid since its inception.

w

Moves
09 Jan 09

Sitting here watching this boring-ass BCS title game and wondering how, other than greed, a team that went undefeated is not playing, while two teams that are not undefeated get to play for the national championship. It's not as if Utah didn't play anybody; they dropped Alabama like a bad habit. Alabama was ranked first in the country for five weeks t ...[text shortened]... dy been decided. Here's hoping that the AP finds the stones to do the right thing tomorrow.
Sitting here watching the game, I couldn't help wonder if USC could whip up on both these teams as well as Utah.

Congrats to the #2 Florida Gators!!

E

Moves
09 Jan 09

BCS is a complete joke. Bowls are exhibition games, they are terrible way of trying to determine a national champion.

w

Moves
09 Jan 09

Originally posted by Eladar
BCS is a complete joke. Bowls are exhibition games, they are terrible way of trying to determine a national champion.
I thought they did a pretty good job of giving the national title to Utah myself. 😛

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
09 Jan 09

Originally posted by whodey
I thought they did a pretty good job of giving the national title to Utah myself. 😛
You are turning out to be a bigger joke than the Big 10.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
09 Jan 09

The final AP poll is out: http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/poll?poll=AP

Florida, Utah, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, etc.

Seems reasonable.

q

Moves
09 Jan 09

Originally posted by Badwater
Yes, the BCS is a joke. The national champion should be decided on the field, not in the opinion(s) of those who think they know better.

Utah deserves a shot this year, and since Texas beat Oklahoma I think Texas should have been there. Oh well, the BCS has been stupid since its inception.
Just because you think different team deserve a shot does not make it so. A playoff model would ruin the entire season (see college basketball) I like the fact that in football every game could cost a team their whole season. Even if you had a plus one system you could easily argue that Florida should play USC, Utah or Texas. No one is ever happy. The playoff advocates want a huge playoff.
I am not willing to toss out all the great games that would have been irrelevant. The SEC championship, the Big 12 championship, the whole round robin with Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech, Ohio State - Penn State would have been wholy irrelevant. In addition Florida, Oklahoma and others could have lost one more game and still made a top eight. You would make more games meaningless than the number of meaningful games you add. Then you might a team that was clearly infererior to other teams get hot for three games and be crowned a champion. It just isn't worth it to me.

Moves
09 Jan 09

Originally posted by quackquack
Just because you think different team deserve a shot does not make it so. A playoff model would ruin the entire season (see college basketball) I like the fact that in football every game could cost a team their whole season. Even if you had a plus one system you could easily argue that Florida should play USC, Utah or Texas. No one is ever happy. Th ...[text shortened]... o other teams get hot for three games and be crowned a champion. It just isn't worth it to me.
I disagree. The champion should be decided on the field, and not in esteemed opinions of experts like yourself. Period.

q

Moves
09 Jan 09

Originally posted by Badwater
I disagree. The champion should be decided on the field, and not in esteemed opinions of experts like yourself. Period.
You make it sound liek the games were not played and we just picked a winner. We have a season, we have conference champions and we have bowl games. Games are played. Good teams formed major conferences and they play each other each week. I am not a Big 12 or SEC conference fan but certainly they were the best conference this year. The winners of their conferences played in a bowl game. I am OK with calling the winner of that game the champion.

E

Moves
09 Jan 09

We have a season. So what more could Utah's players have done to win the National Championship?

Letting teams decide who will play for the national championship by deciding it on the field is the right way to go. It would be an easy enough system to put in place, even using the present BCS system.

I put this idea in another thread, but I'll post it again:

The top 8 BCS teams go through a true BCS series. No conference can put more than two teams into the series. If a team gets eliminated due to this, you just work your way down the rankings until the slots are filled.

This year could have looked like this:

Dec 20:

Home vs Visit

OU vs Boise State

Alabama vs USC

Texas vs Penn State

Florida vs Utah

(Tech gets the boot because no conference can send more than 2 teams to the Championship Series)

New Years Day

Winners of the first two games meet in the Fiesta Bowl
Winners of the second two games meet in the Rose Bowl

Loser in first two play in the Orange
Losers in the second play in the Sugar

Winners of the Fiesta and Rose meet in the National Championship game Jan 10.

The idea is to preserve the New Year's Bowl games while giving at least one week's prep between games and playing on Saturdays when possible.

Moves
10 Jan 09
1 edit

Utah beat what was the #1 team for many weeks - and from the SEC - soundly. The Utah defense was very impressive. I am certain that defense would have given Florida and OK fits as well. Alas, we'll never know because the BCS is a flawed system, as it demonstrates year after year after year. The BCS will fail us again next year, and the year after that. It's time to move past the 19th century and into the 21st century, where sports champions are decided in playoff rounds. NCAA Div I football needs to catch up and stop the excremental charade.