1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 15:04
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Thanks for the tip on which game it was. Adter seeing what he already had used up, it appears he had no other choice but to pitch him and hope the Reds could score. Pitching 4 innings with that many K's might have stretched him out some, but I am sure his turn was pushed back after the outing in question. I also noticed who came in after Harang and ther ...[text shortened]... toll on manager's pitching options when a game like this one happens. Wouldn't you agree?
    I don't think you can blame the pitchers of today for how they are used. It was managers who decided on the five man rotation and that pitchers going into the 8th would be the exception, not the rule. Of course, if at every level you're pitching with four days rest and a pitch count, you're not going to develop the same stamina. And we all know that pitchers in general are throwing less fastballs and more speciality pitches like the splitter which increase the wear and tear on their arms. So, to the extent that pitchers don't pitch as much and seem to not be as durable as the "old timers", I think you have to look at a lot of different factors.

Yeah, if you're going to use a couple of pitchers to get one out only and you wind up in an 18 inning game, you're pretty likely to have to use a starter or a non-pitcher. Dusty looks like he caught some pretty bad breaks in this one; first, his #1 set up guy blows a lead in the 8th, then his closer blows a save in the 9th and then they have another blown save (with a 2 run lead) in the 12th! I mean, whaddya gonna do?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 15:13
    The biggest problem you have with Tavares, and I saw quite a lot of him, he hasn't figured out how to steal first base yet. Once he gets to first, he is hell on wheels. Can he ever learn to be a slap hitter and not try and be a line drive gap hitter, which he is not? This is the question that needs to be answered.
    I used to watch Vince Coleman never work the count and swing from the heels every time up and couldn't understand it. If Taveras is going to be the 100 run guy they need at the top of the lineup, he's got to be more selective.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 23:48
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I don't think you can blame the pitchers of today for how they are used. It was managers who decided on the five man rotation and that pitchers going into the 8th would be the exception, not the rule. Of course, if at every level you're pitching with four days rest and a pitch count, you're not going to develop the same stamina. And we all know that pitc ...[text shortened]... they have another blown save (with a 2 run lead) in the 12th! I mean, whaddya gonna do?
    You make some valid points but players of today have several advantages that the oldtimers never had such as improved travel modes, improved health and dietary training, improved gyms and workout equipment, personal trainers, and medical advancements which allow for injuries to heal faster, or to heal at all. I won't even get into the steroids arguement. Also, due to the big long term contracts and free agency, players no longer have to pitch when they are hurt just to keep their jobs as they used to do. Hell, they get a hangnail and they hit the 15 day DL.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 23:551 edit
    Vince Coleman is a perfect example for comparison. They all want to be Ricky Henderson, but there just aren't that many of them floating around. If Taveras would attempt to bunt his way on at least one AB per game, and then slap at the bal the other AB's I believe he could be something special. I doubt he is ever going to develop a selective batting eye though. He is too aggressive. When he was in Houston, I had suggested that management should fine him $1,000 every time he flew out and give him a $250 bonus everytime he hit the ball in fair territory on the ground. If they did that, by the end of the season, you would either have a dynamite leadoff hitter, or a broke kid looking for a side job outside of baseball. He roams the OF like a gazelle and his defense was excellent although his arm was mediocre. BUt man, could he track down those gappers.
  5. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    18 Feb '09 13:16
    [ That leaves the Pirates and the Reds, and the Pirates don't even attempt to win (they pocket the revenue sharing and immediately dump any of their decent players).
    Looking at the team, they look like they have significantly streng

They look like a team on the rise to me and I will be happy to push them to a winning season after 8 straight losing ones. The rest of the NL Central looks to be in trouble (except the Pirates who don't care).[/b]
    It's nice to know that people outside the Pittsburgh area understand the travesty that is now the Pirates, a team that I have loved and followed for over 50 years๐Ÿ˜ณ Until the present ownership ( the Nutting family ) is kicked out of baseball, this once proud franchise will continue to be the laughingstock of baseball. They pocket the revenue sharing and give the fans bobbleheads and fireworks nights instead of a competitive team. My fondest dream would be to see native son Mark Cuban buy the Pirates so they will be competitive again before I die!!! NO MORE NUTTINGS!!!!!!
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    18 Feb '09 14:53
    Originally posted by Chaswray
    It's nice to know that people outside the Pittsburgh area understand the travesty that is now the Pirates, a team that I have loved and followed for over 50 years๐Ÿ˜ณ Until the present ownership ( the Nutting family ) is kicked out of baseball, this once proud franchise will continue to be the laughingstock of baseball. They pocket the revenue sharing and giv ...[text shortened]... Cuban buy the Pirates so they will be competitive again before I die!!! NO MORE NUTTINGS!!!!!!
    Be careful what you wish for there. Marc Cuban would certainly rescue you from the abyss, but he would deliver to you eternal heartbreak in the form of play-off caliber teams who always seem to lose in the first round of the playoffs, even when they are favored to win. He will also be sitting in the owners box, throwing peanuts and cursing the umpires and sitting in the commissioner's office getting his hand slapped for being a bad boy.

You are right....that is still better than what you have now. ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜‰
  7. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    18 Feb '09 14:58
    Be careful what you wish for there. Marc Cuban would certainly rescue you from the abyss, but he would deliver to you eternal heartbreak in the form of play-off caliber teams who always seem to lose in the first round of the playoffs, even when they are favored to win. He will also be sitting in the owners box, throwing peanuts and cursing the umpires a ...[text shortened]... pped for being a bad boy.

LOL.....since we've had 15 straight, soon to be 16, losing seasons, I'll take the "heartbreak" of a playoff loss. Anything is better than what we have now. NO MORE NUTTINGS ๐Ÿ˜ 
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '09 06:21
    LOL.....since we've had 15 straight, soon to be 16, losing seasons, I'll take the "heartbreak" of a playoff loss. Anything is better than what we have now. NO MORE NUTTINGS ๐Ÿ˜ 
    I know how you feel. You see, I used to follow the Bengals. They are perhaps the worst professional sports franchise in the world.
  9. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    19 Feb '09 12:211 edit
    Be careful what you wish for there. Marc Cuban would certainly rescue you from the abyss, but he would deliver to you eternal heartbreak in the form of play-off caliber teams who always seem to lose in the first round of the playoffs, even when they are favored to win. He will also be sitting in the owners box, throwing peanuts and cursing the umpires a pped for being a bad boy.

Any truth to the "rumor" that as long as Bud Selig is commissioner, Cuban will never own a major league baseball team? I've heard different stories to that effect, apparently there's some bad blood between the two? NO MORE NUTTINGS๐Ÿ˜ 
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Feb '09 13:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    I know how you feel. You see, I used to follow the Bengals. They are perhaps the worst professional sports franchise in the world.
    Don't be ridiculous; they've at least made it to two Super Bowls (and almost won one). Have you ever heard of a team called the Detroit Lions?
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    19 Feb '09 14:24
    Don't be ridiculous; they've at least made it to two Super Bowls (and almost won one). Have you ever heard of a team called the Detroit Lions?
    Don't be ridiculous!! Didn't the Lions just record a perfect season?
    ๐Ÿ˜ณ Never mind!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '09 21:08
    What I mean is being a Bengal fan since Mike Brown took over the team. He took over in 1990 and the team has not been right since. Granted, he had one play off appearance and subsequent loss in 2005, but the rest of his reign has produced not one winning season!! In fact, the Bengals are the only NFL team to have gone 0-6 6 times and five of those 0-6 seasons were under Mike Brown. Not even the Lions can boast of such a dismal number of 0-6 seasons.
  13. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    19 Feb '09 23:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    What I mean is being a Bengal fan since Mike Brown took over the team. He took over in 1990 and the team has not been right since. Granted, he had one play off appearance and subsequent loss in 2005, but the rest of his reign has produced not one winning season!! In fact, the Bengals are the only NFL team to have gone 0-6 6 times and five of those 0-6 seasons were under Mike Brown. Not even the Lions can boast of such a dismal number of 0-6 seasons.
    Well there ya' go, the Bengals were 11-5 with a play off appearance in 2005, only 3 years ago๐Ÿ˜‰ The Pirates haven't even "sniffed" .500 since 1992:'(
    NO MORE NUTTINGS๐Ÿ˜ 
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 02:46
    Well there ya' go, the Bengals were 11-5 with a play off appearance in 2005, only 3 years ago๐Ÿ˜‰ The Pirates haven't even "sniffed" .500 since 1992:'(
    NO MORE NUTTINGS๐Ÿ˜ 
    Hey, you are in luck... This season hasn't started yet, but look there in the standings, plain as day...the Pirates are playing .500 ball!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
  15. Standard memberChaswray
    NUTTING BUSTER
    Baseball Purgatory
    Moves
    20 Feb '09 11:19
    Hey, you are in luck... This season hasn't started yet, but look there in the standings, plain as day...the Pirates are playing .500 ball!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Wise guy๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜› Check back with me on Memorial Day! NO MORE NUTTINGS๐Ÿ˜ 

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree