1. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    30185
    04 Dec '08 13:38
    Sunderland and Keano have parted company (Keano wasn't sacked which means I'm still on for Tony Adams being the next man to get fired 😵), so what next for Roy? Was he a success at Sunderland? 70m quids spent in just over 2 years but is this really a lot? It should probably guarantee mid-tableness. The man obviously has trouble with authority, so can we possibly see him taking over the reigns again? Not me, and if he did I couldn't see it working out for too long. He doesn't strike me as someone who would go into punditry - doesn't quite fit the tanned, beefed-up, tight trousers and shirtedness stereotype for Match of the Day.
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    04 Dec '08 13:42
    Good riddance.

    So, when is Paul Gascoine coaching?
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    30185
    04 Dec '08 14:15
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Good riddance.

    So, when is Paul Gascoine coaching?
    If by 'coaching' you mean 'drinking' then I would say quite frequently. There's no way back for that poor soul.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10258
    04 Dec '08 14:19
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    If by 'coaching' you mean 'drinking' then I would say quite frequently. There's no way back for that poor soul.
    who's the coach of argentina?
  5. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    04 Dec '08 14:20
    Originally posted by trev33
    who's the coach of argentina?
    With all due respect, Trev, Maradona's playing abilities excuse any excessive use of coke 😛
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10258
    04 Dec '08 14:20
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    (Keano wasn't sacked which means I'm still on for Tony Adams being the next man to get fired 😵
    if its anyone but paul ince we'll be seeing blackburn in the championship next year 😀
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Joined
    16 Mar '04
    Moves
    15013
    04 Dec '08 14:30
    Originally posted by trev33
    if its anyone but paul ince we'll be seeing blackburn in the championship next year 😀
    FACT!

    D
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    30185
    04 Dec '08 14:33
    Originally posted by trev33
    who's the coach of argentina?
    Yes but after the antics of Gazza's career over the last few years I think it'll be a long time if at all before he's in a state to handle the long term intense pressures of management.
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    30185
    04 Dec '08 14:33
    Originally posted by Seitse
    With all due respect, Trev, Maradona's playing abilities excuse any excessive use of coke 😛
    Gazza was twice the player Maradona was! (in terms of size)
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Joined
    16 Mar '04
    Moves
    15013
    04 Dec '08 14:33
    Keano worked wonders for Sunderland.

    Remember, they had lost 4 on the trot when he took over and were bottom of the championship. He led them to the top that season, and had a fairly successful season last year.

    This season, while not being great, with a couple of results, they could have been back around mid-table.

    I reckon there's more to this than meets the eye. I'd say it's unusual and out of character for him to walk away.

    D
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    30185
    04 Dec '08 14:35
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I'd say it's unusual and out of character for him to walk away.

    D
    Mick McCarthy would disagree with you.
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Joined
    16 Mar '04
    Moves
    15013
    04 Dec '08 14:37
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    Mick McCarthy would disagree with you.
    Mick McCarthy is a clown. But I get your point.

    D
  13. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    30185
    04 Dec '08 14:39
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Keano worked wonders for Sunderland.

    Remember, they had lost 4 on the trot when he took over and were bottom of the championship. He led them to the top that season, and had a fairly successful season last year.

    This season, while not being great, with a couple of results, they could have been back around mid-table.

    I reckon there's more to this than meets the eye. I'd say it's unusual and out of character for him to walk away.

    D
    Sunderland were ragged and needed a disciplinarian to shout at the players lots and pull them together. Who better than the misery guts Keano? Okay he did pretty good in his first season but I think he's been found out in the Premiership. Fairly successful season last season? After spending all he did and only just missing relegation? I can't see how that can be classed as a success.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    04 Dec '08 14:431 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Keano worked wonders for Sunderland.

    Remember, they had lost 4 on the trot when he took over and were bottom of the championship. He led them to the top that season, and had a fairly successful season last year.

    This season, while not being great, with a couple of results, they could have been back around mid-table.

    I reckon there's more to this than meets the eye. I'd say it's unusual and out of character for him to walk away.

    D
    Disciplinarians tend to work well when they start, but discipline alone is not a substitute for lack of intelligence. As seasons come and go, the disciplinarian eventually gets caught out.

    Sunderland did well to get Keano when they did and it's also not bad for them to let him go before tanking completely.
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    30185
    04 Dec '08 14:45
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Mick McCarthy is a clown. But I get your point.

    D
    Classic McCarthyism:

    'No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets.'
Back to Top