The end for Roy Keane

The end for Roy Keane

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E
YNWA

Moves
04 Dec 08

Sunderland and Keano have parted company (Keano wasn't sacked which means I'm still on for Tony Adams being the next man to get fired 😵), so what next for Roy? Was he a success at Sunderland? 70m quids spent in just over 2 years but is this really a lot? It should probably guarantee mid-tableness. The man obviously has trouble with authority, so can we possibly see him taking over the reigns again? Not me, and if he did I couldn't see it working out for too long. He doesn't strike me as someone who would go into punditry - doesn't quite fit the tanned, beefed-up, tight trousers and shirtedness stereotype for Match of the Day.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
04 Dec 08

Good riddance.

So, when is Paul Gascoine coaching?

E
YNWA

Moves
04 Dec 08

Originally posted by Seitse
Good riddance.

So, when is Paul Gascoine coaching?
If by 'coaching' you mean 'drinking' then I would say quite frequently. There's no way back for that poor soul.

Moves
04 Dec 08

Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
If by 'coaching' you mean 'drinking' then I would say quite frequently. There's no way back for that poor soul.
who's the coach of argentina?

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
04 Dec 08

Originally posted by trev33
With all due respect, Trev, Maradona's playing abilities excuse any excessive use of coke 😛

Moves
04 Dec 08

(Keano wasn't sacked which means I'm still on for Tony Adams being the next man to get fired 😵
if its anyone but paul ince we'll be seeing blackburn in the championship next year 😀

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
04 Dec 08

if its anyone but paul ince we'll be seeing blackburn in the championship next year 😀
FACT!

D

E
YNWA

Moves
04 Dec 08

Yes but after the antics of Gazza's career over the last few years I think it'll be a long time if at all before he's in a state to handle the long term intense pressures of management.

E
YNWA

Moves
04 Dec 08

Originally posted by Seitse
With all due respect, Trev, Maradona's playing abilities excuse any excessive use of coke 😛
Gazza was twice the player Maradona was! (in terms of size)

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
04 Dec 08

Keano worked wonders for Sunderland.

Remember, they had lost 4 on the trot when he took over and were bottom of the championship. He led them to the top that season, and had a fairly successful season last year.

This season, while not being great, with a couple of results, they could have been back around mid-table.

I reckon there's more to this than meets the eye. I'd say it's unusual and out of character for him to walk away.

D

E
YNWA

Moves
04 Dec 08

Originally posted by Ragnorak
I'd say it's unusual and out of character for him to walk away.

D
Mick McCarthy would disagree with you.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
04 Dec 08

Mick McCarthy would disagree with you.
Mick McCarthy is a clown. But I get your point.

D

E
YNWA

Moves
04 Dec 08

Remember, they had lost 4 on the trot when he took over and were bottom of the championship. He led them to the top that season, and had a fairly successful season last year.

This season, while not being great, with a couple of results, they could have been back around mid-table.

I reckon there's more to this than meets the eye. I'd say it's unusual and out of character for him to walk away.

D
Sunderland were ragged and needed a disciplinarian to shout at the players lots and pull them together. Who better than the misery guts Keano? Okay he did pretty good in his first season but I think he's been found out in the Premiership. Fairly successful season last season? After spending all he did and only just missing relegation? I can't see how that can be classed as a success.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
04 Dec 08
1 edit

D
Disciplinarians tend to work well when they start, but discipline alone is not a substitute for lack of intelligence. As seasons come and go, the disciplinarian eventually gets caught out.

Sunderland did well to get Keano when they did and it's also not bad for them to let him go before tanking completely.

E
YNWA

Moves
04 Dec 08

Mick McCarthy is a clown. But I get your point.

D
Classic McCarthyism:

'No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets.'