1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 14:49
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Disciplinarians tend to work well when they start, but discipline alone is not a substitute for lack of intelligence. As seasons come and go, the disciplinarian eventually gets caught out.

Sunderland did well to get Keano when they did and it's also not bad for them to let him go before tanking completely.
    Are you saying Keane isn't intelligent?

D
  2. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 14:54
    Personally, I think Keane is suited to manage in a lower division than the Prem. I think his discipline and motivational style is more suited to, say, the Championship or League One where the players are more likely to respond.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:02
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    Personally, I think Keane is suited to manage in a lower division than the Prem. I think his discipline and motivational style is more suited to, say, the Championship or League One where the players are more likely to respond.
    But Keaney has an ego the size of Mars, which is hinted at by the way he left the Ireland squad in 2002 after not getting his way, and leaving by mutual consent now, which means he was involved in a disagreement with his boss which his ego wouldn't let him compromise on.

So is he likely to want to work in the 2nd tier? I think the only reason he did first time was for the experience.
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:03
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    But Keaney has an ego the size of Mars, which is hinted at by the way he left the Ireland squad in 2002 after not getting his way, and leaving by mutual consent now, which means he was involved in a disagreement with his boss which his ego wouldn't let him compromise on.

So is he likely to want to work in the 2nd tier? I think the only reason he did first time was for the experience.
    Why did he leave the Ireland squad in 2002?

D
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:05
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Are you saying Keane isn't intelligent?

D
    As a manager, he was self-admittedly out of ideas. He might be very intelligent in other walks of life, but it certainly doesn't seem so as a manager.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:13
    Why did he leave the Ireland squad in 2002?

D
    Because he put himself before his country?
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:20
    Because he put himself before his country?
    I guess that would be one interpretation of it.

Totally wrong, BTW.

D
  8. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:24
    I guess that would be one interpretation of it.

Totally wrong, BTW.

D
    Care to explain your opinion?
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:31
    Care to explain your opinion?
    I believe he put his country before himself.

Surely, playing in the biggest tournament in the world is the ambition of every player. Keane denied himself 1 last chance to play at the highest level in order to expose how amateur the FAI was being run (terrible training pitch with no goal posts, no training gear, no energy drinks (which they had been recommended to take by the guys who weren't organised enough to get them to the island).

I admire him for it. McCarthy publically took Keane to task, and got what he wanted.. A reaction, which gave him the opportunity to SEND Keane home.

D
  10. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:38

I don't know well enough to say whether he would or not. If it's ego at play, perhaps it would be more important to him to be successful (even if that meant being so at a lowwer tier) than to struggle in the Prem. That's just speculating, of course.

If he were to do it, though, I think he could be very successful. I find it analgous to baseball here in the States where a manager can be fantastic in the minor leagues, but struggle in the majors because each level requires a different style to be successful in the long term.
  11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:40
    Careful, guys, gotta speak with more respect about St. Roy, a divine entity at the level of St. Patrick in the Irish collective heart.

I concur with Palynka's observation. There are managers suitable for "rescue" seasons, others suitable for small teams, other are brilliant for long runs, and other are simply geniuses. Other coaches grow and change with time and experience. Bottomline, this is a great experience for Keane, and if he's smart he'll move on and grow as a coach. We'll see.

Success can't be kept consistent for decades, though, unless you're Ferguson or Wenger, with a respectable budget and an amazing staff behind.

This, of course, it's just an opinion.
  12. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:45
    I believe he put his country before himself.

Surely, playing in the biggest tournament in the world is the ambition of every player. Keane denied himself 1 last chance to play at the highest level in order to expose how amateur the FAI was being run (terrible training pitch with no goal posts, no training gear, no energy drinks (which they had been reco ...[text shortened]... k, and got what he wanted.. A reaction, which gave him the opportunity to SEND Keane home.

D
    Those exact same events could be interpreted as a man with a big ego throwing a hissy fit because he didn't get the same quality of training gear he was used to at not-really-cash-strapped MU. Surely there are better forms of protest? What about bankrolling the training himself therefore embarrassing the FAI? What about organizing all players to boycott friendlies in protest?

The argument that he denied himself a world cup tourney for the greater good of Irish football is not at all convincing. I'm not sure Keano even has that much respect for world football - witness his comments to Jack Warner (who is, yes, another clown, but an important clown at that).
  13. England
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:50
    my thoughts on R. K. is he could have been like the rest got a contract and got sacked with a big pay out, [as sam did at Newcastle, he being one of many]. so i wish him well
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 15:51
    Those exact same events could be interpreted as a man with a big ego throwing a hissy fit because he didn't get the same quality of training gear he was used to at not-really-cash-strapped MU. Surely there are better forms of protest? What about bankrolling the training himself therefore embarrassing the FAI? What about organizing all players to boycott ...[text shortened]... ness his comments to Jack Warner (who is, yes, another clown, but an important clown at that).
    I don't see Keane doing too much wrong in that episode. Warner shouldn't be abusing his position of power.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/sunderland/2824202/Fifa-vice-president-Jack-Warner-is-a-clown-says-Sunderland-manager-Roy-Keane---Football.html

Money wasn't a problem. Lack of organisation was. The island was picked because it was a nice holiday resort for the FAI, who flew first class while the players were in with the proles. It was in the middle of the Pacific adding hours to their journey time. The training gear got lost in transit as did the energy drinks. It was a farce, in the build up to a huge tournament

You think organising a mutiny would have been a better way of handling things? What did he do after all? Tell the press that things were a shambles.

And then when McCarthy publically accused him of feigning injury in front of the other players, he probably called Mc a "clown". 😉 So McCarthy sent him home.

D
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 16:241 edit
    Those exact same events could be interpreted as a man with a big ego throwing a hissy fit because he didn't get the same quality of training gear he was used to at not-really-cash-strapped MU. Surely there are better forms of protest? What about bankrolling the training himself therefore embarrassing the FAI? What about organizing all players to boycott ness his comments to Jack Warner (who is, yes, another clown, but an important clown at that).
    i wouldn't argue with an irishman over the 2002 world cup saga.

the way that tournament worked out we can a real chance of doing well but the FAI made a balls of it.

they've also made a balls of hiring every coach since. shyt they might as well be the irish government.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree