1. 6yd box
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 23:32
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Keano worked wonders for Sunderland.

Remember, they had lost 4 on the trot when he took over and were bottom of the championship. He led them to the top that season, and had a fairly successful season last year.

This season, while not being great, with a couple of results, they could have been back around mid-table.

I reckon there's more to this than meets the eye. I'd say it's unusual and out of character for him to walk away.

D
    Ofcourse.. an ex-manchester united player..SO HE MUST BE GOOD AT EVERYTHING.

He was a nasty sheeet head on the pitch and he is a sheeet manager.
  2. 6yd box
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 23:38
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I believe he put his country before himself.

Surely, playing in the biggest tournament in the world is the ambition of every player. Keane denied himself 1 last chance to play at the highest level in order to expose how amateur the FAI was being run (terrible training pitch with no goal posts, no training gear, no energy drinks (which they had been reco ...[text shortened]... k, and got what he wanted.. A reaction, which gave him the opportunity to SEND Keane home.

D
    Utter popecock...He was a bad influence in the squad. Football is a team sport you cant have a lose cannon.

How.."amateur the FAI was..." of course they are, they dnt have the same financial back-up that countries like England and brizil have, nor for that matter can the FAI match the budget of manchester U.
  3. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    05 Dec '08 00:12
    I detest Man Utd, I am not Irish, I am not a Sunderland supporter - I say this to show no bias

Roy Keane was not the guilty party in 2002 but a man that stood up for the players and paid the price with an early exit.

Roy is at an early stage in his managerial career but has proven that he has potential. Sunderland will do well to afford a better manager.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '08 01:35
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Roy Keane was not the guilty party in 2002 but a man that stood up for the players and paid the price with an early exit.
    .....must resist temptation.......to rec mctayos post....😉
  5. LA
    Moves
    05 Dec '08 02:08
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    I detest Man Utd, I am not Irish, I am not a Sunderland supporter - I say this to show no bias

Roy is at an early stage in his managerial career but has proven that he has potential. Sunderland will do well to afford a better manager.
    You may be right about 2002 and as has been said in this thread Keane did a truely remarkable job in his 1st season at Sunderland.

When he took over they really looked like they may get relegated but he turned it around almost immediately and got them promoted over the course of the season.

I think he has a fatal character flaw though, he just can't control his emotions.
    - There's the 2002 Irish walkout
    - The prawn sandwich statement
    - The bustup at United with Queroz that led to his exit
    - The attack against the City player in the last few minutes where he deliberately tried to break the guys leg
    - Not being able to take stick from Sunderland fans
    - Questioning his position to the media

His intentions and position may have been right in some of the above cases but the way he handled each one was by his temper/emotions getting the better of him.

He seems to have great motivational abilities and looks to be a great prospect as a manager but can you trust him over the medium to long term?

If every year or so something is going to throw him over the edge and he goes spouting off to the media then he will lose the crowd, players and the media.

Its like Keegan, everyone knows he can't handle the bad times and will quit.

For about 6 or 8 years now Keane seems to be on an emotional rollercoaster and its just going to be a matter of time before something triggers him again.

Do you think club chairmen in the future are going to trust tens of millions in the hands of a man that could flip at any time?
  6. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 14:012 edits
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    For about 6 or 8 years now Keane seems to be on an emotional rollercoaster and its just going to be a matter of time before something triggers him again.

Do you think club chairmen in the future are going to trust tens of millions in the hands of a man that could flip at any time?
    Crikey! Intelligence found on the Sports Forum ... and in the most unlikely of places too.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    06 Dec '08 19:05

Well said!

Keane was SENT home in 2002 for standing up for what he believed in...the absolutely disgraceful shambles of the FAI, he was 100% right for doing so as their were many basic things the FAI were doing wrong that most amatures get right.

It's a pity he quit Sunderland as it's not like Keane to walk away but he has shown he has the potential to be an excellent manager in the future..I think he'll take a break from football for a couple of years and when he comes back he'll no longer struggle to switch off from football after a match day...he may of went to quickly into managment but he'll be definitely back again as a successful premiership manager!
  8. England
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 14:34
    Originally posted by stoker
    my thoughts on R. K. is he could have been like the rest got a contract and got sacked with a big pay out, [as sam did at Newcastle, he being one of many]. so i wish him well
    on no sams fav to get job!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Santiago
    Moves
    10 Dec '08 04:44
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue

Unfortunately you don´t seem to need intelligence to run a football club. Someon will employ him.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '08 15:12
    Originally posted by trev33
    if its anyone but paul ince we'll be seeing blackburn in the championship next year 😀
    what do i win?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree