1. Joined
    18 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 14:14
    of all time is muhahamed ali,with out doubt,with out question,surley no one can disgree with this???.
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 14:16
    Originally posted by jackjones
    of all time is muhahamed ali,with out doubt,with out question,surley no one can disgree with this???.
    I do.
    Maradona. Not only one of the greatest footballers ever, but he pissed the English off so much I still have wet dreams about it.
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 14:45
    Take it to the sports forum
  4. Joined
    18 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 15:52
    gggrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!1
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 16:00
    There are many sportsmen I prefer to Ali. Now, if you mean showman, then I might be willing to agree with you. Ali was great, to be sure, but he did not go undefeated. He was defeated for the title twice (should have been three times if Foreman hadn't been drugged in Manila).

Michael Jordan should get some consideration here.
    Bjorn Borg, Pete Smapras and Roger Federer
    Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods
    Too many from baseball and football that are worthy as well.
  6. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 16:26
    I think you mean Muhammad Ali. Define sportsman.
  7. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 07:58
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Take it to the sports forum
    It is the sports forum 🙂
  8. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 08:02
    Certainly this is one of the hardest decisions of all time, depending on sports there are so many greatest sportsman.

Like the few who have been named .

If its golf then you would choose between Nicklaus and Woods.
    Tennis you have Sampras or Federer
    Basketball ,then there is Jordan ,Shaquille O'Neal etc
    Cycling has Armstrong
    Motor Racing has Senna or Schumacher
    Cricket has Donald Bradman

The list could go on and on.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 08:04
    I disagree that Ali was even a sportsman. He was a prize fighter; prize fighting is not a sport.

Anyway, Don Bradman. 'nuff said.

Richard
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 12:22
    I think you really have to define sports because I am sure 99% of this country has no idea who Don Bradman is. Could the greatest sportsman on planet earth really be completely unknown to large groups of sports fans?
  11. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 14:20
    Originally posted by leepound
    I think you really have to define sports because I am sure 99% of this country has no idea who Don Bradman is. Could the greatest sportsman on planet earth really be completely unknown to large groups of sports fans?
    Don Bradman would be known amongst the cricket playing nations. He played in the 1930's and 1940's so he's no modern day great. He is the best batsman to have played cricket and he'll surely never be matched.

His average runs per innings is 99.94 and while I don't have any statistics handy, I think the next best is about 75. Most of the other great batsmen average around the 60's. So Sir Don's record is remarkable.

Having said that, I'd say Michael Jordan would stake a huge claim to being the greatest ever sportman. His sheer talent, mental toughness and iron will to win will surely match any of the other worlds greatest sportsmen.

It is difficult to compare different sports though.
  12. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 14:37
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I do.
    Maradona. Not only one of the greatest footballers ever, but he pissed the English off so much I still have wet dreams about it.
    You misspelled his name. It is spelled P - e - l - e'.
  13. Joined
    26 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Jul '08 19:20
    I don't even consider Ali the greatest boxer of all time so therefore I wouldn't consider him the greatest sportsmen. That being said, Jordan is worthy of consideration and I am shocked that no one has even mentioned Wayne Gretsky.
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    29 Jul '08 19:33
    Marciano was better than Ali.

Best sportsman: Jim Thorpe.
  15. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    30 Jul '08 19:40
    I think in this discussion you got to consider the most popular sport on earth: football (also known as soccer).

The best football player ever is Pelé, and also the most popular one till today.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree