the GREATEST sportsman............

the GREATEST sportsman............

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
30 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by monteirof
I think in this discussion you got to consider the most popular sport on earth: football (also known as soccer).

The best football player ever is Pelé, and also the most popular one till today.
I think soccer may be the most popular sport in Europe and possibly parts of Asia, and most of Central and South America. However, I don't think it's popularity is close to the top in the major population meccas of China, the countries that used to be a part of the USSR, India, United States, Canada and Japan. Each of those areas have other sports that are more dominant in those cultures. Since this grouping of countries together encompass more than half of the world's population, I would challenge your statement that soccer is the most popular sport on earth. I would agree that it is one of the most popular. I acually believe that golf may be about to become the most popular sport on the planet. While I do not have the figures at my disposal to prove this, I believe that more people play golf worldwide, than any other sport period. While I play golf and enjoy the sport, my personal favorite is baseball.

m

Moves
31 Jul 08
4 edits

Originally posted by shortcircuit
I think soccer may be the most popular sport in Europe and possibly parts of Asia, and most of Central and South America. However, I don't think it's popularity is close to the top in the major population meccas of China, the countries that used to be a part of the USSR, India, United States, Canada and Japan. Each of those areas have other sports that other sport period. While I play golf and enjoy the sport, my personal favorite is baseball.
In a quick internet search, it's consider by wikipedia the most popular sport in all four languages I can understand: portuguese, english, spanish and french.

It's the most popular sport in most of the countries. Could you name one country where golf is the most popular sport?

Besides Central and South America, Europe and Africa where it's by far the most popular sport, it's also very popular in Asia, Oceania and North America.Even where football is not the number one sport, it's usually widely played. It would be a very hard work to find a country that does not have a football league.

Football is one of the most popular sports of China. The game is played there since earlies 1900's. They have a professional league (yes, professional - Jia League). It's the sport most widely covered by the media and their national female team is one of the bests of the world. It's becoming very common to have european teams playing pre-season games in China. European leagues are broadcasted to China weekly, as well to India. India also has a professional league and guess what you find in their league site: "IndianFootball.Com - India's Premier Football Site offers all the latest information on the world's most popular game on the Indian sub-continent."

Here are the sources of wikipedia (english version) for that statement, all americans:

^ Guttman, Allen [1993]. "The Diffusion of Sports and the Problem of Cultural Imperialism", in Eric Dunning, Joseph A. Maguire, Robert E. Pearton: The Sports Process: A Comparative and Developmental Approach. Champaign: Human Kinetics, p129. ISBN 0880116242. Retrieved on 2008-01-26. “the game is complex enough not to be invented independently by many preliterate cultures and yet simple enough to become the world's most popular team sport”

Dunning, Eric [1999]. "The development of soccer as a world game", Sport Matters: Sociological Studies of Sport, Violence and Civilisation. London: Routledge, p103. ISBN 0415064139. Retrieved on 2008-01-26. “During the twentieth century, soccer emerged as the world's most popular team sport”

"Soccer Popularity In U.S.", Austin, Texas: KXAN (2006-06-12). Retrieved on 2008-01-26. "Soccer is easily the most popular sport worldwide, so popular that much of Europe practically shuts down during the World Cup."

Frederick O. Mueller, Robert C. Cantu, Steven P. Van Camp [1996]. "Team Sports", Catastrophic Injuries in High School and College Sports. Champaign: Human Kinetics, p57. ISBN 0873226747. Retrieved on 2008-01-26. “Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, and its popularity is growing in the United States"

I couldn't find any other sport claimed to be world's most popular anywhere on the web. But I haven't tried so deeply.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
31 Jul 08

Originally posted by monteirof
In a quick internet search, it's consider by wikipedia the most popular sport in all four languages I can understand: portuguese, english, spanish and french.

It's the most popular sport in most of the countries. Could you name one country where golf is the most popular sport?

Besides Central and South America, Europe and Africa where it's by far ...[text shortened]... d's most popular anywhere on the web. But I haven't tried so deeply.
You and I are not on the same page. I said I believe more people in the world "play" golf. They may enjoy "watching" soccer more than "watching" golf, but many more are "playing" golf than are "playing" soccer. Do you see the difference?

Oh, and wikipedia is not necessarily factual. There are a lot of inaccuracies posted in wiki. For what it is worth. It is not a bad resource, but it is not absolute.

Moves
31 Jul 08

golfs a sport for the middles classes, cant really see the poor masses of asia and africa spending a 5 months wages on a set of clubs and a round of golf. compare that to the cost of a football or basket ball. do kids grow up playing golf in the street, no. they kick a football around with all their mates.
even in the countries that football isnt number one, its usually number 2 or 3.

m

Moves
31 Jul 08

Whe are not in different pages. When people say "the most popular" they mean "played". They mean the amount of football players. I mentioned media coverage in China and India as an indicative. You can find resources variating between 200 and 300 millions of football practisings around the globe. This is not a good indication cause it only cover professional players, not amateurs or people who just play it for fun.

I totally agree wikipedia is not very trustful, but some articles are when they mention solid sources. I mentioned four american authors that study sports. What do you mentioned other than your personal thoughs?

Here is an interesting "map of football popularity": http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Football_world_popularity.png

Football is the number one played sport in most of the countries. I'll put in different words my question: Can you name one country where golf is the most played sport? Can you find one resource with this statement? I really doubt.

DS

Moves
03 Aug 08

The most popular sport in the world is football and it's greatest ever player was Zinédine Zidane. Behold the genius!

I thought we would all be saying Gazza anyways...

DS

Moves
03 Aug 08

Not that Gazza...get well soon.

Ro

Moves
13 Aug 08

Phil Taylor, surely. Has anyone else won 13 world titles, or anything approaching such long-term dominance? Golf, tennis is not directly comparable, as they have four majors a year.

The question is, how long will it take for someone to question whether darts is a sport?

d

Moves
13 Aug 08

Another name for the pot Phelps.

J

Moves
19 Aug 08

Originally posted by dan182
Another name for the pot Phelps.
I've also thought about this quite a bit and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Jim Thorpe? He pretty much dominated any sport he competed in. If only he hadn't gotten into trouble for taking money as an amateur.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
19 Aug 08

Originally posted by Rank outsider
Phil Taylor, surely. Has anyone else won 13 world titles, or anything approaching such long-term dominance? Golf, tennis is not directly comparable, as they have four majors a year.

The question is, how long will it take for someone to question whether darts is a sport?
This is my choice, nice to see I'm not alone. Otherwise I'll take Lance Armstrong.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
19 Aug 08

Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
I don't even consider Ali the greatest boxer of all time so therefore I wouldn't consider him the greatest sportsmen. That being said, Jordan is worthy of consideration and I am shocked that no one has even mentioned Wayne Gretsky.
Or Bobby Orr, the Greatest One

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
19 Aug 08

You and I are not on the same page. I said I believe more people in the world "play" golf. They may enjoy "watching" soccer more than "watching" golf, but many more are "playing" golf than are "playing" soccer. Do you see the difference?

Oh, and wikipedia is not necessarily factual. There are a lot of inaccuracies posted in wiki. For what it is worth. It is not a bad resource, but it is not absolute.
Have you utterly and completely lost your mind? 😕

Keeps

Shanghai

Moves
19 Aug 08

According to FIFA 264 million play football (soccer) worldwide. http://www.scotland.org/about/entertainment-and-sport/features/culture/golf.html
suggests that 64 million people play golf worldwide.

This doesn't suprise me as all you need is a couple of jumpers and a ball, or a melon to play football. Golf equipment is far too expensive for most of the world.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
19 Aug 08

Originally posted by deriver69
According to FIFA 264 million play football (soccer) worldwide. http://www.scotland.org/about/entertainment-and-sport/features/culture/golf.html
suggests that 64 million people play golf worldwide.

This doesn't suprise me as all you need is a couple of jumpers and a ball, or a melon to play football. Golf equipment is far too expensive for most of the world.
The biggest participant sport in the UK is supposed to be fishing. As I don't have the figures to hand I can't contest it, but what I can say is I know nobody who goes fishing, yet dozens of people who play football in one form or another. Let's not forget that a group of kids kicking a cheap ball around the streets counts as playing football. as it's such an easy and accessible thing to do, I find it hard to accept that more people fish, or play golf, or darts or what have you, than football (soccer).