1. Joined
    13 Sep '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 01:43
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    in your opinion, what is the toughest sport to master..?

in other words, if i trained in this sport, what one would take the longest to get to professional level..?

a few spring to mind, gymnastics, boxing and highboard diving; i would probably have to say golf as well
    How about fencing?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 11:47
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    in your opinion, what is the toughest sport to master..?

in other words, if i trained in this sport, what one would take the longest to get to professional level..?

a few spring to mind, gymnastics, boxing and highboard diving; i would probably have to say golf as well
    this is a ridiculous thread.

if you're not born with a talent in your sport its going to be pretty much impossible to get to professional level no matter now hard you train. some people are going to be born with more talent than others and have to work less to achieve a professional level and some are going to have to work their asses of to get to professional level with the talent which they where born with.
  3. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 17:01
    Originally posted by trevor33
    this is a ridiculous thread.

if you're not born with a talent in your sport its going to be pretty much impossible to get to professional level no matter now hard you train. some people are going to be born with more talent than others and have to work less to achieve a professional level and some are going to have to work their asses of to get to professional level with the talent which they where born with.
    that is such a naive reply... it's actually a well known fact people who are born with a natural talent have to work just as hard as someone who is not, this is due to the fact you cannot be born with technique, that has to be taught... i've been teaching football for over ten years now and have seen a lot of naturally good players, if they don't put the work in, how quickly the non-gifted players catch them up; your post is so far from the mark its incredible, you're implying someone born with a gift has less work to do...
  4. Joined
    28 Apr '04
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 17:38
    Gotta be table tennis you see the Chinese GOD HOW GREAT ARE THEY?? and possibly Wrestling (amatuer) that is!
  5. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 19:26
    Chain smoking. That and bowling. If you really apply yourself you can do them both at the same time, while drunk...
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 20:10
    Originally posted by ExpressiveOutburst
    I wouldn't say that snooker is that hard to master, I'm a pretty good player and I don't play that much really. Just every few months or so 🙂
    LOL. There's always a dumbass reply like this. I'd like to see you play Stephen Henry or the like and see if you spend more than a minute on the cue ball. In a 11 frame game.

I think golf too. I've played it all my life and still I'm only a hacker who jumps around when I get a birdie.
  7. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    23 Mar '07 22:47
    definitely darts
    To have that smoke in your mouth ,the beer in your hand ,to concentrate on your target and to then throw the dart through a smoke haze and not spill a drop takes some mastering.
  8. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 08:04
    Originally posted by boarman
    definitely darts
    To have that smoke in your mouth ,the beer in your hand ,to concentrate on your target and to then throw the dart through a smoke haze and not spill a drop takes some mastering.
    not darts.. i ve had a few 180s and play well at pub level .. darts is easy to get good at with practise and enough beer but getting just one 147 in snooker for me would be a not in a million life times.. like hitting a par round of golf.. no chance not if I practised full time with pro help for ages.

I like the choice of golf as the hardest of all games.. it can be played by virtually any one. Millions and millions of people play it.. Hundreds of thousands get to scratch but only a few go further.

Its just one of those hard games to get good at.. I can;t think of a harder one that doesn;t involve super fitness or a certain body type. etc.
  9. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 11:19
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    not darts.. i ve had a few 180s and play well at pub level .. darts is easy to get good at with practise and enough beer but getting just one 147 in snooker for me would be a not in a million life times.. like hitting a par round of golf.. no chance not if I practised full time with pro help for ages.

I like the choice of golf as the hardest of all game ...[text shortened]... I can;t think of a harder one that doesn;t involve super fitness or a certain body type. etc.
    You missed the humour in my post ,by reading it you would know i wasnt serious.
  10. Swansea
    Moves
    24 Mar '07 12:58
    Originally posted by Crowley
    LOL. There's always a dumbass reply like this. I'd like to see you play Stephen Henry or the like and see if you spend more than a minute on the cue ball. In a 11 frame game.

I think golf too. I've played it all my life and still I'm only a hacker who jumps around when I get a birdie.
    I would play him if I ever got the chance, Mark Williams and Matthew Stephens practice near me so I may try and see if I can get a game with them sometime 🙂

I'd kick your ass anyday...
  11. Rashly unpredictable
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 13:36
    um... chess
  12. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 20:17
    You missed the humour in my post ,by reading it you would know i wasnt serious.
    Lol I did too!! I'm with you now.. gotta love arrows.

though don't worry I gave up serious for lent.. then gave up lent religion etc cos it was all too serious...
  13. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 23:25
    definitely darts
    Not to mention checking out the barmaids ass at the same time also.
  14. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 08:45
    Originally posted by slimjim
    Not to mention checking out the barmaids ass at the same time also.
    Yes it all takes a lot of mastering i say
  15. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 01:45
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    Snooker IMO. Potting a ball is straightforward, positional play takes years to master.
    I agree with that. Snooker is a very, very difficult game. You could argue that nobody has ever truly mastered it as well, I mean, do even the top pros make a maximum break every time they get a chance to?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree