Tri-Nations Rugby 2009

Tri-Nations Rugby 2009

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
12 Sep 09
1 edit

Half-time and SA lead 22-12. It's certainly not over yet, but looking good for the Boks so far. They need to show they're not a 60 minute team though.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
12 Sep 09

Originally posted by Crowley
Class. Nice video. I love how the wing and fullback run into each other, trying to lay a hand on The Prince.

These days he'd probably be nailed by the open side flanker. It shows how much defensive lines have changed. Notice how you don't see any of the loose 3 in the video?
Yes, there were no loosies in sight, but notice also how quick the ball went out to him. The flyhalf of course was Naas Botha (when he had hair). Danie Gerber BTW is still in the top ten of try scorers for SA - 19 tries in just 24 games. Gerber remains one of the greatest ever and big for his time - 6' 1" and 88kg.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
12 Sep 09

Hah hah. Panic in the ranks among the ABs - intercept try by Jean de Villiers. 29-12 after 52 minutes.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
12 Sep 09

Bah. The ABs hit back. SA 29-19 with 25 minutes to go.

Major Bone

On yer tail ...

Moves
12 Sep 09

Again the Boks run out of puff but hold out in the end to win 32-29. I must say that the cross kicks need to be better policed by the refs. McCaw was miles offside when he scored at the end and same with the last cross-kick that ended the match.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
13 Sep 09

Is it really just me could anyone see a game plan or an area of improvement from the all blacks. They're a mess, drop the ball and chuck the ball around in blind panic half the time. A half back that can't flat pass and wingers that can't find gaps or catch the ball. and it's been getting worse since early 07. Hanry's entire plan seems to be get fit and do everything at 99mph regardless of accuracy... almost worked as I agree the boks did start to run out of puff.

Agree the ref did seem to favour the boks a couple of times at least even in the way he spoke to SA seem condescending.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
13 Sep 09

Originally posted by buffalobill
Again the Boks run out of puff but hold out in the end to win 32-29. I must say that the cross kicks need to be better policed by the refs. McCaw was miles offside when he scored at the end and same with the last cross-kick that ended the match.
Didn't get to see the game, W, but I'm hearing grumbling about the refereeing. Again.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
13 Sep 09

Congrats to The Boks on a great mile stone:

The first time they have had three consecutive test victories over NZ since 1949 well done.

Your only opposition from down under for a while will come from the other side of the ditch where Deans seems to getting little improvements at every outing. Our lot have been going backwards since 2006

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
13 Sep 09

Originally posted by Tirau Dan
Congrats to The Boks on a great mile stone:

The first time they have had three consecutive test victories over NZ since 1949 well done.
That's not the only milestone.

We are also rated number 1 in the world, and are the world champs in union and sevens. I believe we are the first team to do this?
We have the Tri Nations, beat the Lions and are have the reigning Super 14 team in the Bulls.

Rugby fans here can be quite happy.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
14 Sep 09

That's not the only milestone.

We are also rated number 1 in the world, and are the world champs in union and sevens. I believe we are the first team to do this?
We have the Tri Nations, beat the Lions and are have the reigning Super 14 team in the Bulls.

Rugby fans here can be quite happy.
Heartily deserved too.

I really see no reason why SA will not retain the World Cup so long as they don't slack off. Some may worry that you've peaked too early but I'd say BS as you guys are currently the only team not utilising a rotational bench system which in my mind takes the fire out of guys wanting to retain their shirt.

Now Crowley would be the time to sigh and let the refs off the hook. haha ;p Though I do think that Silly sod on Sat was hopeless it was more of an attitude than application of the rules.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
14 Sep 09

Heartily deserved too.

I really see no reason why SA will not retain the World Cup so long as they don't slack off. Some may worry that you've peaked too early but I'd say BS as you guys are currently the only team not utilising a rotational bench system which in my mind takes the fire out of guys wanting to retain their shirt.

Now Crowley would be ...[text shortened]... that Silly sod on Sat was hopeless it was more of an attitude than application of the rules.
Hopefully this good form translates into more grassroots development and passion for the game.
We have LOTS of rugby talent hidden away in poor (especially black) communities and when we start tapping into that properly I don't see much competition for us in world rugby. Seriously.

We need a proper club system, and I believe you're also in favour of possibly scrapping the likes of the Super 14?
I don't just want to scrap it outright, but getting something like the Heineken Cup going would be great.
Money is the big problem, but if the boks keep performing like this, money might start to flow more freely into the game.

Dan, I will stop complaining about the refs and judiciary when they have one standard for all countries. At the moment the boks get blown up and cited more harshly than other teams. This is purely just a fact.
I don't understand why it's happening, but I hope we get to the bottom of it, sooner rather than later...

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
14 Sep 09

Hopefully this good form translates into more grassroots development and passion for the game.
We have LOTS of rugby talent hidden away in poor (especially black) communities and when we start tapping into that properly I don't see much competition for us in world rugby. Seriously.

We need a proper club system, and I believe you're also in favour of pos ...[text shortened]... tand why it's happening, but I hope we get to the bottom of it, sooner rather than later...
Aus beat you last time so you do have some competition. Most sides are rebuilding and the danger is SA have peaked too early. Henry is harping on that his men beat the boks all but twenty mins lol. He's is still rotating his playing forty and none of them can pass or catch. We are losing rugby fans every day the man continues only youngsters seem to be hanging in there behind him as they've never seen how rugby should be played.

No one will change you mind about the refs and that is your prerogative but in my view the boks are probably playing harder with more fire than anyone at the moment so attract attention. SA have done a good job in getting heads under control in the fire dept so the silly losses have stopped. Just a thought.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
14 Sep 09

Aus beat you last time so you do have some competition. Most sides are rebuilding and the danger is SA have peaked too early. Henry is harping on that his men beat the boks all but twenty mins lol. He's is still rotating his playing forty and none of them can pass or catch. We are losing rugby fans every day the man continues only youngsters seem to be han ...[text shortened]... getting heads under control in the fire dept so the silly losses have stopped. Just a thought.
No, I mean more like 10-20 years down the line. If we tap into all the talent we have here, we will be unstoppable.

So you don't think Fourie getting banned for 4 weeks for a high tackle is harsh? Or John Smit getting penalised for loosing his footing in a scrum?
I can list a hundred of these, but I won't, because everyone on this forum just thinks I'm utterly biased. There is a double standard on the field and off and the rugby public in SA is starting to get sick of it. The IRB better get their asses in gear, or else we'll shove their heads up there.

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
15 Sep 09

No, I mean more like 10-20 years down the line. If we tap into all the talent we have here, we will be unstoppable.

So you don't think Fourie getting banned for 4 weeks for a high tackle is harsh? Or John Smit getting penalised for loosing his footing in a scrum?
I can list a hundred of these, but I won't, because everyone on this forum just thinks I'm u ...[text shortened]... ick of it. The IRB better get their asses in gear, or else we'll shove their heads up there.
Your mind is made up Crowls... Nothing anyone says will appease you
As for total supremacy in 20yrs.. well that sounds like a fanciful thought but good luck. Lol in 20 years all the SA's will be in NZ ;p

A couple of weeks ago I saw a winning try for Hawkes Bay.. the ball was passed along the line out to the winger who side stepped two changed his line and scored a lovely try. It was joy. The first of it's type in a long time I did enjoy it...

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
15 Sep 09

Your mind is made up Crowls... Nothing anyone says will appease you
As for total supremacy in 20yrs.. well that sounds like a fanciful thought but good luck. Lol in 20 years all the SA's will be in NZ ;p

A couple of weeks ago I saw a winning try for Hawkes Bay.. the ball was passed along the line out to the winger who side stepped two changed his line and scored a lovely try. It was joy. The first of it's type in a long time I did enjoy it...
Having one's mind made up when one is correct is not a bad thing.

Anyway...

Yup. You do know only about 15-20% of SA youth plays or has access to rugby fields, training and gear, right? Once we start tapping seriously at grassroots we will surely be unstoppable.