Two black coaches in superbowl

Two black coaches in superbowl

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
23 Jan 07

Originally posted by PocketKings
How am I being naive?

Its beating a dead horse over and over and over again. People need to understand that segregation is over and equal rights exist.
Perhaps ignorant was the appropriate term.

Of the hundreds of places you could look to stem the tide of ignorance in your thinking, might I recommend http://www.civilrightsproject.harvard.edu/ for starters.

w

Moves
23 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by SALADIN
Twenty years after Doug Williams become the first black QB to win the Super Bowl, we have two black coaches leading teams out in this year’s game.

One hopes, the white American’s myth of the lack of intellect in the black man can finally be put to rest.
Big deal. Now if we had two midget coaches sqaure off in the Super Bowl I think you would have something. Perhaps the loosing coach could be prone to a midget throwing constest of some kind at the end of the game. Now hat would be entertainment!

w

Moves
23 Jan 07

Originally posted by kirksey957
And never forget the perrenial clan favorite, the BWA. Yo, I'm workin ova time to get a fashion show goin to compliment the Prince half-time show for the Super-bowl. I'm lining up models and apparell. I'm workin a tight deadline. It'll be worth it I promise you.

If I pull this off right, you gonna forget Janet Jackskon's tittie.
Wait a second, we are going to have two black coaches and a black entertainer at half time! I say just for fun the white guys on both teams should dye their skin black and wear Afro's. Then you will have the first all African American Super Bowl!

H

Chi-Town:Windy City

Moves
23 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Of course, in an ideal world, the race of the coaches does not matter. But, in terms of American society as it is, it matters a great deal. Perhaps it should be irrelevant that two black coaches will be leading Superbowl teams, but it is not irrelevant.

Did you even read my previous post? The sorts of statements (bt good ol's boys) I ...[text shortened]... of American life, then, and only then, it will not matter that the coaches are black or white.
I do see the other guys point. it shouldn't matter that they are black or white.

But by the fact that so many people are getting "sick" of hearing about it shows, that they need to keep hearing about it.

I think it's crazy that NOW is the first time a black coach is even IN a SuperBowl. Why in 2007?

The day that you do know that there is true equality and fairness, then the black coaches won't be making news for being the first.

Hopefully, Lovie will be the first black coach to win a Super Bowl ;D

And in a country where Blacks make up 10% of the country, and have to wait decades to even get to that position shows there is still a lot of work to be done.

Anyways, in 100 years it won't even matter. Everyone will be a caramel brown color, like me, 😀

s
Death from Above

El Paso, TX

Moves
24 Jan 07

Doesn't Tony Dungee have a German mother? That would make him the first half-black/half-white coach in Super Bowl history right. That sounds about as stupid as two Black head coaches coaching the Super Bowl for the first time. Who cares what color they are? I sure as hell don't. I only care whats on the inside of a person not whats on the outside.

DC
The Mighty

Rocky Mountains

Moves
24 Jan 07

I'm so tired of seeing irrelevant stats like this on TV.

FB
Great Big Stees

In Check

Moves
24 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
Having read the thread wouldn't we be better off getting more minorities in places of education, social work, medicine, government etc?

Head coaches, bah!

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
24 Jan 07

Originally posted by Frank Burns
Having read the thread wouldn't we be better off getting more minorities in places of education, social work, medicine, government etc?

Head coaches, bah!
Why would be better off? The most qualified person who best fits the job is who should get the job.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
24 Jan 07

Head coaches, bah!
Maybe, but then again head coaches get paid a lot more than all the people in nearly all the sectors on that list.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
24 Jan 07

Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
Yeah. Irrelevant.

Here are some more... they should be erased from history for sure. Who cares!

African-American Firsts: Sports

* Major league baseball player: Jackie Robinson, 1947, Brooklyn Dodgers.

* Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame: Jackie Robinson, 1962; first black woman, Effa Manley, co-owner of the Negro Leagues team Newark Eagles, 2006.

* NFL quarterback: Willie Thrower, 1953.

* NFL football coach: Fritz Pollard, 1922–1937.

* Golf champion: Tiger Woods, 1997, won the Masters golf tournament.

* NHL hockey player: Willie O'Ree, 1958, Boston Bruins.

* Tennis champion: Althea Gibson became the first black person to play in and win Wimbledon and the United States national tennis championship. She won both tournaments twice, in 1957 and 1958. In all, Gibson won 56 tournaments, including five Grand Slam singles events. The first black male champion was Arthur Ashe who won the 1968 U.S. Open, the 1970 Australian Open, and the 1975 Wimbledon championship.

* Heavyweight boxing champion: Jack Johnson, 1908.

* Olympic medalist (Summer games): George Poage, 1904, won two bronze medals in the 200 m hurdles and 400 m hurdles.

* Olympic gold medalist (Summer games): John Baxter "Doc" Taylor, 1908, won a gold medal as part of the 4 x 400 m relay team.

* Olympic gold medalist (Summer games; individual): DeHart Hubbard, 1924, for the long jump; the first woman was Alice Coachman, who won the high jump in 1948.

* Olympic medalist (Winter games): Debi Thomas, 1988, won the bronze in figure skating.

* Olympic gold medalist (Winter games): Vonetta Flowers, 2002, bobsled.

* Olympic gold medalist (Winter games; individual): Shani Davis, 2006, 1,000 m speedskating.

(from http://www.infoplease.com/spot/bhmfirsts.html)

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
24 Jan 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Yeah. Irrelevant.

Here are some more... they should be erased from history for sure. Who cares!

African-American Firsts: Sports

* Major league baseball player: Jackie Robinson, 1947, Brooklyn Dodgers.

* Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame: Jackie Robinson, 1962; first black woman, Effa Manley, co-owner of the Negro Leagues team ni Davis, 2006, 1,000 m speedskating.

(from http://www.infoplease.com/spot/bhmfirsts.html)
I respect that you cited your source.

However, I still say "so what" to the black coaches in the super bowl.

Who was the first white baseball player?

Who was the first white guy to win a golf championship?

Who was the first white NFL coach?

Who was the first white hockey player?

They are people, plain and simple. I have respect for everyone. Having a black coach in the superbowl does not make me feel any more repect for blacks, it makes me respect the man.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
24 Jan 07

Of course, but black coaches in the Superbowl (the key leadership position in America's leading obsession) are part of this struggle. It's not either/or: doctors or coaches; rather both: doctors and coaches.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
24 Jan 07

Originally posted by PocketKings
I respect that you cited your source.

However, I still say "so what" to the black coaches in the super bowl.

Who was the first white baseball player?

Who was the first white guy to win a golf championship?

Who was the first white NFL coach?

Who was the first white hockey player?

They are people, plain and simple. I have respect for ever ...[text shortened]... the superbowl does not make me feel any more repect for blacks, it makes me respect the man.
Who was the first white baseball player? You think there was one white guy who played all alone and the rest saw him having so much fun they learned his sport?

The first NFL coaches were ALL WHITE. That's a tie.

Also, when we finally get a black president here in the US, are you going to say, "So what, who cares!"?

Whatever. The head of the Black Coaches Association was on my radio the other day doing an interview and he was very excited and proud about this historic first.

P-

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
24 Jan 07

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Of course, but black coaches in the Superbowl (the key leadership position in America's leading obsession) are part of this struggle. It's not either/or: doctors or coaches; rather both: doctors and coaches.
ugh, you again. Why do I get the feeling you are organizing another black million man march?

The best person for a job should get a job. There is no need to give jobs to minorities just to get them into the field. If they are the best for the job then they will get the job.

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
24 Jan 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Who was the first white baseball player? You think there was one white guy who played all alone and the rest saw him having so much fun they learned his sport?

The first NFL coaches were ALL WHITE. That's a tie.

Also, when we finally get a black president here in the US, are you going to say, "So what, who cares!"?

Whatever. The head of the Bla ...[text shortened]... her day doing an interview and he was very excited and proud about this historic first.

P-
All this is showing is seperation. First black president? I won't care, not a big deal. They will probably march and parade up and down the streets. If the next president is white, should white people march and parade up and down the streets? maybe they should