1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 14:56
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Ok, well said also. Thanks for understanding my point of view, I understand yours too. You have brought peace and harmony back to the thread 😉😛
    Cool beans!

Now, where is the "First Female NFL Coach Thread"?

😉

P-
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 14:561 edit
    I ask again, was your previous post referring to me as a racist? Thats how it looked.
    No. But as a history teacher whe is educated in all aspects of this issue, you well know that your words are exactly the ones most often uttered by people claiming to be non-racist after it has just been pointed out that their thinking reflects deep rooted patterns of racism (as yours has in this thread).

I don't know you, and if I did, I still would not call you a racist. Such labels aggravate the problems.

Your rhetoric, on the other hand, is precisely that of the consciously non-racist, or even anti-racist, who unknowingly (or unconsciously) reinforces and even advances racial discrimination in institutions of power (political, cultural, economic, etc.). But, you know all this as one so well educated in these matters.

Edit:

As one so well educated, you also are aware (no doubt) how the conversation you allude to below reflects what African Americans have always said to Mr. Charlie:

I'm not prejudice at all, I have black friends and black co-workers and all that stuff. In speaking to them, they are not upset and the status in the country, they realize that the oppurtunity is there for all blacks and other minorities to take advantage of. They just need to do a better job of taking advantage of it. The country can only give them the oppurtunities, they can't just give them the degrees or the jobs, they have to be earned. I think that has more to do with socio-economic class than anything else, how you going to fix that, genius?
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 15:061 edit
    Finally, someone who makes good sense in a debate in this sports thread 😉 Well said, I can agree with most of that. However, I still think the most qualified person should get the job. Think about it personally: If you (i don't know you, so lets just say hypothetically that you are a white male in America) interviewed for your dream job and found out a ...[text shortened]... to have a higher number of minorities in their work force. Tell me that wouldn't pi$$ you off.
    Yes, it would piss me off. Just like the Seahawks getting robbed in the SB last year pissed me off or screwing up two easy plays in a row from 10 yards outside of Josh Brown's range for a game-winning FG in Chicago pissed me off.

In discussions of what's good for society as a whole, sometimes I have to divorce myself from my own personal well-being in order to give a more objective view.

For example, would I like a $100,000 check in the mail every year from the US govt. Yes. Do I think that the US govt should make it a poicy to give all white American males (yes, i am one) a check for $100,000? No way.

Do I support some sort of affirmative action toward African-Americans? Yes.
    Do I want to lose out on a job because of it?
    No.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 15:11
    Think about it personally: If you (i don't know you, so lets just say hypothetically that you are a white male in America) interviewed for your dream job and found out a less qualified minority (not implying that minorities are all less qualified) got the job just to have a higher number of minorities in their work force. Tell me that wouldn't pi$$ you off.
    As an Anglo-American male that teaches the history of race and civil rights in the U.S., I can assure you that this has happened to me not once, but many times. OTOH, race is an element of one's qualifications in my field, and there are arguments that no white male is fully qualified (I reject these arguments, of course).
  5. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 16:192 edits
    edit- 😠
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 16:44
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    No. But as a history teacher whe is educated in all aspects of this issue, you well know that your words are exactly the ones most often uttered by people claiming to be non-racist after it has just been pointed out that their thinking reflects deep rooted patterns of racism (as yours has in this thread).

I don't know you, and if I did, I still would not ...[text shortened]... re to do with socio-economic class than anything else, how you going to fix that, genius?
    [/b]
    I agree. The truth doesn't help in this instance. The proper thing to have said was,

"You don't know me, MAN!".

P-
  7. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 20:05
    I still think the fact that my dentist is a smurf is funny. And be sure to vote for Cory (my dog) in the next election 😉
  8. Chi-Town:Windy City
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 22:45
    Originally posted by telerion
    Yes, it would piss me off. Just like the Seahawks getting robbed in the SB last year pissed me off or screwing up two easy plays in a row from 10 yards outside of Josh Brown's range for a game-winning FG in Chicago pissed me off.

In discussions of what's good for society as a whole, sometimes I have to divorce myself from my own personal well-being in ...[text shortened]... ve action toward African-Americans? Yes.
    Do I want to lose out on a job because of it?
    No.
    I actually agree with telerion for some reason.

And this was brought up in my African-American history class last year. There was a black girl who didn't get into a black college because a lesser qualified(White or Asian, don't remember), got in.

Do I support it, yes.
    Do I want to be screwed in it? No.

It's like airplane searches.
    Do you want them to do anything possible to protect people from terrorism? Yes. Do you want to be the one pulled for a random search? No.

Either way, a black coach is important, and if whites didn't ruin the economy for blacks from the 1900's to 1960's, then maybe all this would have happened sooner, there'd be much less racial tension, and then people wouldn't need to say things like "It shouldn't matter, what color he is", when in a way, that's subtle racism. It's a way to make it seem, like you are color blind and a great person, even though some people who say it are actually thinking, "Got damn I'm tired of this being news, I don't give a damn about this black power and all this nonsense. I thought we were over this, they aren't slaves anymore, gosh! If the coaches were white this wouldn't even be discussed!"

I don't think any of you are thinking this, but still, a lot of the people saying that it doesn't matter, are really thinking this 😉
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 00:07
    I still think the fact that my dentist is a smurf is funny. And be sure to vote for Cory (my dog) in the next election 😉
    If Ms. Clinton gets the nomination, I'll consider your dog (it would save me from voting Republican, which I find repugnant).
  10. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 01:06
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    If Ms. Clinton gets the nomination, I'll consider your dog (it would save me from voting Republican, which I find repugnant).
    Well, we've got the dog vote for sure... damn, they can't vote yet!

P-
  11. Chi-Town:Windy City
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 04:36
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Well, we've got the dog vote for sure... damn, they can't vote yet!

P-
    If Hilary Clinton wins over Obama, it's proof that this whole country is racist.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 12:18
    Originally posted by Hypa
    If Hilary Clinton wins over Obama, it's proof that this whole country is racist.
    Not true, but it reflects poor judgement.

If Hilary wins, her successor will be worse than the current President, if you can imagine that. Can the US afford a President worse than Bush?
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 13:51
    So if She gets 55% dem and Obama gets 45%... everyone is now racist? You're not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, are you.

P-
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 15:21
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    So if She gets 55% dem and Obama gets 45%... everyone is now racist? You're not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, are you.

P-
    sharper knives
    elevator cables
    bulb wattage
    missing tacos
    partial deck

Choose your metaphor; many comments on these forums reveal minds hard at work, but failing dramatically.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 22:43
    Just for the fact of the Colts coach being black, and manning never getting his due against those punk ass Patriots, I was rooting for them. And of course my Bears.

Now instead of one, their are two black coaches. That's how it should be every year
    LOL....Funny Statement 🙄 🙄 🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree