1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 18:081 edit
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    ...should white people march and parade up and down the streets? maybe they should
    Why parade? It's been done. That's why it's not a big deal anymore.

When dogs finally get the vote about 10,000 years from now... they're going to parade also. Firsts are first... you don't ignore them.

Also, a black president won't be a big deal? That's ignorant. It will be a big deal and a great stride towards equality.

P-
  2. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 18:10
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Why parade? It's been done. That's why it's not a big deal anymore.

When dogs finally get the vote about 10,000 years from now... they're going to parade also. Firsts are first... you don't ignore them.

P-
    I'm tired of black firsts, its been going on to long. maybe I should start voting for dogs, a dog parade would be fun 😉
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 18:12
    I'm tired of black firsts, its been going on to long. maybe I should start voting for dogs, a dog parade would be fun 😉
    be sure to catch my last edit... didn't realize you read so fast!

I hope were both around in 10000 years!

P-
  4. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 18:26
    be sure to catch my last edit... didn't realize you read so fast!

I hope were both around in 10000 years!

P-
    I'm going to a new dentist tomorrow. I've never seen the guy. Lets just say he turns out to be black. I've never had a black dentist. Am I supposed to walk in, see that he is black and say "WOW, a black dentist!"

I don't care if he is black, white, smurf blue or simpsons yellow. he is still just my dentist.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 19:141 edit
    I'm going to a new dentist tomorrow. I've never seen the guy. Lets just say he turns out to be black. I've never had a black dentist. Am I supposed to walk in, see that he is black and say "WOW, a black dentist!"

I don't care if he is black, white, smurf blue or simpsons yellow. he is still just my dentist.
    That's right... just a dentist. However, other firsts are note-worthy, like presidents and superbowl coaches.

Actually, now I wonder who the first licensed black doctor or dentist was.

P-
  6. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 20:56
    That's right... just a dentist. However, other firsts [b]are note-worthy, like presidents and superbowl coaches.

Actually, now I wonder who the first licensed black doctor or dentist was.

P-[/b]
    David Palmer was the first black president
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 21:08
    I doubt he was the first fictional black president.

P-
  8. Chi-Town:Windy City
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 21:46
    Who?

Lol, at whoever asked who the first white coaches and whatnot were.

EVERYONE was white, it wasn't special.

On BET there are all black people. When Eminem and Justin Timberlake have videos on there, it's special.

Saying you won't care about the first black president, HA!

If we were in a country where everything was fair in the first place(Which it wasn't), and Whites to economically rape Native American's and African's society, then this wouldn't even be a thread.

I'm not saying any of you are racist, but the things some of you have typed sound like subtle prejudice.
  9. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 22:20
    Why would be better off? The most qualified person who best fits the job is who should get the job.
    You are right about the most qualified person statement.

But if we can include more of all of the different ethnic groups that make up the US it would expand our talent pool noticeably. It would help all of society rather than a small portion of it i.e. football or sports fans.

You really didn't get the message did you?
  10. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 22:211 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Of course, but black coaches in the Superbowl (the key leadership position in America's leading obsession) are part of this struggle. It's not either/or: doctors or coaches; rather both: doctors and coaches.
    But like I said to PocketKings, it increases the talent pool and better serves all of society.

How long will society benefit from two black head coaches in one Superbowl?
  11. Joined
    18 Apr '04
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 22:25
    Hmmm... we have now created a situation in which the Super Bowl will provide us with two firsts, one positive and one negative: the first black coach to win a Super Bowl, and the first black coach to lose a Super Bowl.

I got tired of talk about color years ago and dialed the color out of my TV, then I dialed the contrast to the point to where everything is a uniform grey. It's sort of like watching radio.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    24 Jan '07 23:57
    Originally posted by Frank Burns

How long will society benefit from two black head coaches in one Superbowl?
    From 'this day' forward.

P-
  13. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 00:13
    From 'this day' forward.

P-
    Yeah, boy howdy! Football do make the world go roun' an' roun'...
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 01:22

Smurfs? Dogs?

The more you say about this topic, the more you revel in your ignorance. Your comparisons show that you have not the faintest glimmer of an idea based on social, economic, pschological, or historical knowledge.

As for your dentist, the odds are significantly in favor of yours being white, but less so than thirty years ago. See http://jada.ada.org/cgi/content/full/131/12/1750 if you really care about the issue.
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 01:27
    Originally posted by Frank Burns
    Yeah, boy howdy! Football do make the world go roun' an' roun'...
    Unfortunately. But its fun to argue Colts vs. Bears, and Seahawks fans will be able to discuss last year's egregious officiating until we ski in Hades.

In terms of the central issues of race and inequality in the United States today, two black football coaches in the Superbowl is relatively unimportant. It will not alter patterns of inequality. Nevertheless, it is one more in a string of symbolic moments that reflect larger patterns of change: if these patterns continue at their current pace, we may see racial equality in the U.S. some time around 2250. If these changes were put back on the pace we saw from the two decades beginning in the mid-1950s, we might see true and full equality of opportunity by 2040.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree