why do americans find

why do americans find "soccer" boring?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
26 Jan 12

Originally posted by sh76
Not really. Games are independent of one another.

The Red Sox were down one run in the 9th, not 3 games and one run.
They are the only team ever to win the ALCS after being down three games to none.

Moves
26 Jan 12

I wish I could find a stat for the odds of overcoming a 2 goal deficit in a professional soccer game.

Pending the finding of this info, who wants to bet against my guess that it's significantly less than 1%?
at premier league level to come back from 2 down to draw is around 4% and to go on and win is around 0.5% of all games. thats what makes to so good when it does happen. a soccer fan gets his bread and butter excitement from the building of pressure on or by the opponent and you can feel a goal coming. like sex for a man one goal in the last minute after 20 minutes of build up will do for a soccer fan, american football like my missus wants a goal every few minutes and insists on wearing a helmet.

Moves
26 Jan 12

Originally posted by quackquack
But soccer only fans aren't going to watch a century of baseball to see that happen and baseball only fans aren't going to watch the soccer to see the rare but truly memorable moment.
There's a bit of a difference, don't you think, between once-a-century highly rare and a-couple-of-times-a-season somewhat unusual?

Mind you, that's not one of the points I find unappealing about baseball. The mere size of the end score just does not matter to me. What does matter is that it is apparently possible to sit on a two-point advantage and block the game, if you want to. That strategy is also possible in football - but there, at least, it isn't safe.

FYI, a drawing comeback from 2-0 happened yesterday in Turkey's top league. It's happened at least twice in my national league this season.

If I were a betting man I'd take sh76's offer. It wouldn't even be a gamble.

Richard

q

Moves
26 Jan 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
There's a bit of a difference, don't you think, between once-a-century highly rare and a-couple-of-times-a-season somewhat unusual?

Mind you, that's not one of the points I find unappealing about baseball. The mere size of the end score just does not matter to me. What does matter is that it is apparently possible to sit on a two-point advantage and ...[text shortened]... If I were a betting man I'd take sh76's offer. It wouldn't even be a gamble.

Richard
I'm pretty sure that a lead in soccer is a lot safer than a lead in baseball. But the statistical answer isn't going to change peoples preference. People simply enjoy what they enjoy.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
26 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
at premier league level to come back from 2 down to draw is around 4% and to go on and win is around 0.5% of all games. thats what makes to so good when it does happen. a soccer fan gets his bread and butter excitement from the building of pressure on or by the opponent and you can feel a goal coming. like sex for a man one goal in the last minute afte ...[text shortened]... american football like my missus wants a goal every few minutes and insists on wearing a helmet.
Sorry, dude, you lost me with that one. 😛

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
26 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Shallow Blue

Mind you, that's not one of the points I find unappealing about baseball. The mere size of the end score just does not matter to me. What does matter is that it is apparently possible to sit on a two-point advantage and If I were a betting man I'd take sh76's offer. It wouldn't even be a gamble.

Richard
Mind you, that's not one of the points I find unappealing about baseball. The mere size of the end score just does not matter to me. What does matter is that it is apparently possible to sit on a two-point advantage and block the game, if you want to.

What???

Baseball (and sports similar to it, such as cricket) is the only major team sport in existence where it is NOT possible to protect a lead and run out the clock... because there is no clock.

In soccer and hockey, with some good defense you can nurse a one goal lead through half the game (though in hockey this is a bit more difficult). That is a major problem with those sports.

In basketball, you can wind down the 24 second clock every possession and the nurse a big lead, but this doesn't work with a small lead and only works on the last few minutes.

In football, you can take a knee or run the ball, but again, this only works in the last few minutes and, more importantly, doesn't work unless you can get first downs.

In baseball, running out the game is completely impossible. You need to record the 27th out before you can win the game. No amount of delay or stalling can prevent this.

I remember when the Yankees were playing the Braves in the 9th inning in game 6 of the 1996 World Series and had a 3-2 lead. There were 2 outs and Lemke was up against Wetteland, IIRC, with a couple of men on (or maybe it was only one man on... whatever).

The great Vin Skully who was doing the game on the radio, as Wetteland was peering in for the sign, in his classic voice, said...

"And don't you loooove baseball? The Yankees can't tell the quarterback to kneel on the ball. They can't freeze the ball. Sooner of later, they've got to throw it."

Now, of course, baseball has other problems on the excitement front and I admit it can sometimes be long and boring. But for last minute suspense and drama, the lack of a clock gives it a huge advantage.

p

Moves
27 Jan 12

Originally posted by D4V
[b]why do americans find "soccer" boring?

Becouse it is boring.[/b]
The last clash between Liverpool and Manchester utd in a domestic ,mid season game in october of this year attracted five hundred million viewers in 211 different countries .
Boring eh !

t

Moves
27 Jan 12
3 edits

Originally posted by phil3000
The last clash between Liverpool and Manchester utd in a domestic ,mid season game in october of this year attracted five hundred million viewers in 211 different countries .
Boring eh !
I doubt that. These claims are always exagerated and I would bet that it actually attracted significantly less than 100 mil.

In your face

Moves
29 Jan 12

Football boring? Soccer boring? Has anyone noticed that this thread is really f***ing boring? zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
29 Jan 12

Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
Football boring? Soccer boring? Has anyone noticed that this thread is really f***ing boring? zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Here's the great thing about internet message board threads:

If you don't like 'em, you don't have to read 'em.

In your face

Moves
29 Jan 12
1 edit

Here's the great thing about internet message board threads:

If you don't like 'em, you don't have to read 'em.
Exactly. I am allowed to express my opinion though. Which is another really good thing about them.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
08 Mar 12

The answer is simple- no soccer (football) culture. Combine that we have a long standing sport culture in American Football, Baseball and Basketball and we pretty much cover an entire year.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Mar 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
i interested to know, what is it about soccer* american football fans hate so much? is it the low scorelines? what games have they watched to develop their opinions from? do american football fans generally like other team sports? is it just american sports they like? do they like rugby? i need to understand why the beautiful game is hated so much. i wa ...[text shortened]... ther sports around at the time that goes by the name of football. which of coarse is football.
When I was young soccer and track were my favorite sports with football my
least favorite mainly I did not like the pain of the crashes. Now that I am old
I enjoy watching those sports where other people get hurt, especially ultimate
fighting.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
10 Mar 12

Mind you, that's not one of the points I find unappealing about baseball. The mere size of the end score just does not matter to me. What does matter is that it is apparently possible to sit on a two-point advantage and block the game, if you want to.

What???

Baseball (and sports similar to it, such as cricket) is the only major team spo ...[text shortened]... But for last minute suspense and drama, the lack of a clock gives it a huge advantage.
Reminds me of a great bit by George Carlin

Moves
10 Mar 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
When I was young soccer and track were my favorite sports with football my
least favorite mainly I did not like the pain of the crashes. Now that I am old
I enjoy watching those sports where other people get hurt, especially ultimate
fighting.
if you are ever in the UK you should go and watch what we call "sunday league football (soccer)" try to find what we also call a "pub team" and witness what happens when you cross ultimate fighting with soccer, fat men, beer, mud and the bitter cold of a sunday morning.