why do americans find

why do americans find "soccer" boring?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
20 Jan 12

I bet soccer would be more interesting if the goalies couldn't use their hands - that would increase the scoring for sure.

Moves
21 Jan 12

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
Mere dumb force? You are absoltey clueless about football.

By high scoring I was more referring to scores more often. I'm sure even soccer fans would rather see a high scoring game than both teams getting shut out.
I am as clueless about American Football as you are about rugby and real football.

Your second remark is only more proof of that.

Richard

U

Moves
21 Jan 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
I am as clueless about American Football as you are about rugby and real football.

Your second remark is only more proof of that.

Richard
You are full nothing but generalizations and hyperbole. Well, you're full of one other thing but the site filters won't let me say it. You're just a blowhard who's more interested in chest thumping than having a real conversation.

My second remark pertains to sports in general. People (generally) want to see great offensive games. That's not to say they don't appreciate great performances, but the crowds go nuts when someone scores, in any sport.

You can agree disagree but it has absolutely nothing to do with having knowledge (or lack thereof) any particular sport.

Moves
22 Jan 12

There's little difference in the number of scores in a rugby and football game. Both can end up low scoring 9-6 games and both can be blowout 47-30 games.

U

Moves
22 Jan 12

Originally posted by Trev33
There's little difference in the number of scores in a rugby and football game. Both can end up low scoring 9-6 games and both can be blowout 47-30 games.
I never said American Football is higher scoring than rugby.

p

Moves
22 Jan 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I bet soccer would be more interesting if the goalies couldn't use their hands - that would increase the scoring for sure.
Why does football (or soccer as you call it ) have to be more interesting ?
Its a game watched by millions globely on every continent on earth .
I personally hope it never takes off in the USA ,any influence from there would make it a circus like all the other American sports ,silly crash hats ,breaks every two minutes its no wonder your games have never taken off in any other countries like football has ! (no disrespect meant ) .
Where do you get the "football "bit from as in American football ?, Footballers use their heads about the same as your American footballers use their feet but we dont call our game "head ball "🙄🙄🙄

U

Moves
22 Jan 12
2 edits

Originally posted by phil3000
I personally hope it never takes off in the USA ,any influence from there would make it a circus like all the other American sports ,silly crash hats ,breaks every two minutes its no wonder your games have never ame as your American footballers use their feet but we dont call our game "head ball "🙄🙄🙄
Phil, the level of ignorance, stupidity and bigotry in your post is astounding and the world would be a better place if people like you weren't in it (no disrespect meant).

The pads are necessary in American football because individual hits are much harder and at higher velocity than rugby.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
22 Jan 12

I personally hope it never takes off in the USA ,any influence from there would make it a circus like all the other American sports ,silly crash hats ,breaks every two minutes its no wonder your games have never ...[text shortened]... ame as your American footballers use their feet but we dont call our game "head ball "🙄🙄🙄
🙄

Why do the soccer fans on this thread (except for the OP) have such a chip on their shoulders?

The OP asked a simple and good question. We've been trying to answer it. This is not about USA vs. the world or any type of assertion that either sport "has to" be more interesting.

The question was asked by football is more popular than soccer in the US. The answers are there. You don't like them? Fine. You want to dispute them? Also fine. But where does all this knee-jerk anti-Americanism come it? Geez. Discuss the issue and give the bigotry a rest. Will ya, fellas?

U

Moves
22 Jan 12

Originally posted by sh76
🙄

Why do the soccer fans on this thread (except for the OP) have such a chip on their shoulders?

The OP asked a simple and good question. We've been trying to answer it. This is not about USA vs. the world or any type of assertion that either sport "has to" be more interesting.

The question was asked by football is more popular than soccer in the US. ...[text shortened]... i-Americanism come it? Geez. Discuss the issue and give the bigotry a rest. Will ya, fellas?
You know those dumb, toothless redneck bigots you used to see on Jerry Springer all the time? Apparently we're not the only one who has them. European countries have them as well.

p

Moves
22 Jan 12
1 edit

Phil, the level of ignorance, stupidity and bigotry in your post is astounding and the world would be a better place if people like you weren't in it (no disrespect meant).

The pads are necessary in American football because individual hits are much harder and at higher velocity than rugby.
I can't knock you on the "ignorance "bit because i have never watched a baseball ,American football . basketball or ice hockey game in my life .
Dont quite understand the "bigot"bit ,but your welcome to your opinions .
Stupid ,dont think so ,and do you think the world would miss some one who thinks he's "johnny action man " Mr USArmy paratrooper ?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
22 Jan 12
1 edit

One thing I will agree; that soccer deserves the name "football" much more so than football does.

Other than kickoffs, punts and field goals, "feet" are almost irrelevant in football (Rex Ryan notwithstanding).

Maybe it should be called "ovalball" or "runball" or "throwball."

However, as Shakespeare might say, a great game by any other name would smell as sweet.

U

Moves
22 Jan 12

I can't knock you on the "ignorance "bit because i have never watched a baseball ,American football . basketball or ice hockey game in my life .
Dont quite understand the "bigot"bit ,but your welcome to your opinions .
Stupid ,dont think so ,and do you think the world would miss some one who thinks he's "johnny action man " Mr USArmy paratrooper ?
This is a two-fer.

The fact that you don't see the bigotry in your post is evidence of your stupidity.

U

Moves
22 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by sh76
One thing I will agree; that soccer deserves the name "football" much more so than football does.

Other than kickoffs, punts and field goals, "feet" are almost irrelevant in football (Rex Ryan notwithstanding).

Maybe it should be called "ovalball" or "runball" or "throwball."

However, as Shakespeare might say, a great game by any other name would smell as sweet.
Because it was came from Rugby (aka "Rugby Football" ), a name I don't hear Phil whining about.

p

Moves
22 Jan 12

This is a two-fer.

The fact that you don't see the bigotry in your post is evidence of your stupidity.
Def -Bigot ....

"A person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own ,esp on religion ,politics,or race ".

Some people see some sports as a religion ,football being one and i dare say you might have the same for American football in the Us ,i dont know ?
Replying to a suggestion of "goalkeepers not being able to use their hands in football could make the game more exciting " with a tounge in cheek dig at his national sport/s could be a bit political i suppose .
(Best stay of the race thing with FMF lurking around ,eh )

Bigotry ,still can't see it i must be stupid ? Thanks for letting me know , i have been roaming around for the last 50yrs thinking i was ok .

U

Moves
22 Jan 12
1 edit

Def -Bigot ....

"A person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own ,esp on religion ,politics,or race ".

Some people see some sports as a religion ,football being one and i dare say you might have the same for American football in the Us ,i dont know ?
Replying to a suggestion of "goalkeepers not being able to use their hands in f nks for letting me know , i have been roaming around for the last 50yrs thinking i was ok .
It's not your fault. Most stupid people aren't actually aware of their own stupidity. It's also not an insult, since being stupid isn't really something you can help. Intelligence is in large part genetic.