why do americans find

why do americans find "soccer" boring?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by stellspalfie
if you are ever in the UK you should go and watch what we call "sunday league football (soccer)" try to find what we also call a "pub team" and witness what happens when you cross ultimate fighting with soccer, fat men, beer, mud and the bitter cold of a sunday morning.
That I'd love to see! I don't think soccer is boring at all, but more scoring might inject some oomph! Widen the goals, tie one of goalie's hands behind back, institute illegal "d" like in basketball with too many in paint. That might do the trick!

w

Moves
11 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
i interested to know, what is it about soccer* american football fans hate so much? is it the low scorelines? what games have they watched to develop their opinions from? do american football fans generally like other team sports? is it just american sports they like? do they like rugby? i need to understand why the beautiful game is hated so much. i wa ther sports around at the time that goes by the name of football. which of coarse is football.
I think the most exiting point in soccer is when that guy yells, "Goal"!!! Of course, I find it more startling than exiting, cause it usually wakes me out of a sound sleep.

Just to share a story, I once was watching soccer at a friends house and I was feeling a bit tired. I did my best to get into the game, but just could not. I then propped up my head with my hand and then fell off to sleep. When I awoke to him yelling, "Goal"!!, I had a puddle of drool that had run down my arm to the table. 😳

p

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by whodey
I think the most exiting point in soccer is when that guy yells, "Goal"!!! Of course, I find it more startling than exiting, cause it usually wakes me out of a sound sleep.

Just to share a story, I once was watching soccer at a friends house and I was feeling a bit tired. I did my best to get into the game, but just could not. I then propped up my head ...[text shortened]... o him yelling, "Goal"!!, I had a puddle of drool that had run down my arm to the table. 😳
Lets cut to the chase here , the reason Americans find football boring is because Americans are strange people ! there you go ,sorted ...

w

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by phil3000
Lets cut to the chase here , the reason Americans find football boring is because Americans are strange people ! there you go ,sorted ...
I say it might be genetic. Americans are just born to hate soccer. Of course, add to the fact that the sport is gay and there ya go!!! πŸ˜›

p

Moves
11 Mar 12

I say it might be genetic. Americans are just born to hate soccer. Of course, add to the fact that the sport is gay and there ya go!!! πŸ˜›
Well whodey , i always thought tights and padding was strickly for women untill i saw your American footballers wearing them !

w

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by phil3000
Well whodey , i always thought tights and padding was strickly for women untill i saw your American footballers wearing them !
I never noticed......but you seem to have noticed.

Hmm?

p

Moves
11 Mar 12

I never noticed......but you seem to have noticed.

Hmm?
You live nearer to San Franscico than i do ,sweatieπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
12 Mar 12

I prefer cricket. All other sports suck in varying degrees.

rc

Moves
12 Mar 12

Originally posted by Crowley
cricket is for statisticians, I am surprised Americans dont like it more, they seem to be
quite big on statistics themselves, cricket would therefore be an American sports fans
dream. Pakistan Zindabad!

w

Moves
13 Mar 12

Originally posted by Crowley
I take it all back, there are worse things than socker!!

Although soccer may be gay, it beats watching grass grow.

t

Moves
13 Mar 12

I take it all back, there are worse things than socker!!

Although soccer may be gay, it beats watching grass grow.
Cricket is the rare sport where it is much more fun to watch people play who have no clue what they are doing rather than watching the professionals.

rc

Moves
13 Mar 12
2 edits

Originally posted by tomtom232
Cricket is the rare sport where it is much more fun to watch people play who have no clue what they are doing rather than watching the professionals.
its actually much more fun to play than to watch, like chess i guess.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
13 Mar 12

Originally posted by sh76
It's more than that.

In baseball and football, there's ebb and flow. There's strategy. There's analysis. There are statistics.

etc. etc. etc.

In soccer, either the ball goes into the net or it doesn't. It's a dichotomy. A play works to the nth degree or it's a failure. Nothing in between.

I'm sorry, but you just don't have that level of excitement ...[text shortened]... n your spine, you either have no soul, know nothing about football or are a Pats' fan.
So U.S sports does involve thinking but at a slower pace. Perhaps if you persevered with association football or rugby union which are fast free flowing games you would see the build up of moves and the strategies involved.

Likewise Europeans and the rest of the world should maybe learn to appreciate the slower moving more defined strategies of American Football and baseball. What about basketball does that have a different fan base, that's about as fast as a team sport gets.

I like test cricket which takes up to five days(unless England is playing Pakistan somewhere dry and hot) so I should be able to chill out long enough to enjoy the 'war of attrition' that is American football.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
13 Mar 12

"I had a puddle of drool that had run down my arm to the table."

Just an average American football fan then.

rc

Moves
13 Mar 12

Originally posted by kevcvs57
So U.S sports does involve thinking but at a slower pace. Perhaps if you persevered with association football or rugby union which are fast free flowing games you would see the build up of moves and the strategies involved.

Likewise Europeans and the rest of the world should maybe learn to appreciate the slower moving more defined strategies of American ...[text shortened]... d be able to chill out long enough to enjoy the 'war of attrition' that is American football.
Pakistan will be avenged!