1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:051 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have lived in various places around the world for 18 years and I am a keen armchair sportsman and a person who ends up with sports fans friends wherever I go. I have never met a non-American sports fan who uses your World Champion terminology, except perhaps with a dose of wistful sarcasm. I would have expected you to have applied a similar dose of wistful sar . But instead, you've just kind of made a carping jingoistic fool of yourself on this thread.
    Blah blah blah. Jingoism has absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

Answer me this:

Is the NBA recognized as the premier professional basketball league, with the best players and teams in the world, by non-American sports fans? Yes or no?
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:08
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Blah blah blah. Jingoism has absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

Answer me this:

Is the NBA recognized as the premier professional basketball league, with the best players and teams in the world, by non-American sports fans? Yes or no?
    Yes.

Are its champions recognized as world champions? Nope.

Now squirm a little more for us.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:15
    Is the NBA recognized as the premier professional basketball league, with the best players and teams in the world, by non-American sports fans?
    Nobody's disputing this you numbskull!

A World Champion is the winner of a World Championship or World Cup. Even Olympic Champions are not World Champions, nor do they claim to be - unless perhaps you are going to claim that American Olympic Champions are also the World Champions, even when they don't win the World Championship. Words have meanings. These titles have meanings. You can't just redefine them because of your nationalistic zeal. No wonder people are just scoffing at you on this thread.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:19
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Yes.

Are its champions recognized as world champions? Nope.

Now squirm a little more for us.
    Squirm on this.

Given that there is no dispute that the NBA is the premier basketball league in the world, and given that the NBA Champion have won a competition whereby they have earned the Championship, it simply stands to reason that they are rightfully the "World Champions". Your "holding your breath till you turn blue" style of argument doesn't change that.

As for the rest, it's just a bunch of juvenile, anti-Americanism where such claims are singularly inappropriate given that no one is making the argument that the Celtics are the World Champs because they are an "American" team; instead the argument is simply that by winning the championship of what is universally recognized as the premier basketball league they deserve the title of "World Champions". Dispute that if you can.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:28
    ...the argument is simply that by winning the championship of what is universally recognized as the premier basketball league they deserve the title of "World Champions".
    What you feel they 'deserve' is immaterial. They are not World Champions and it is only Americans who assert that they are. I sense that you will just simply go on asserting that they are, over and over and over and over again, until no one bothers to reply. If they are your puerile Terms Of Victory, I'm sure then please, by all means refer to yourself as The World Champion. This is after all an international forum. And when it boild right down to it, I am sure very few of us out here care too much about your obstinence and 'need to "win"'.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:281 edit
    Squirm on this.

Given that there is no dispute that the NBA is the premier basketball league in the world, and given that the NBA Champion have won a competition whereby they have earned the Championship, it simply stands to reason that they are rightfully the "World Champions". Your "holding your breath till you turn blue" style of ar asketball league they deserve the title of "World Champions". Dispute that if you can.
    As usual, you are the one 'holding your breath'.

Your sad assertion that 'best' = 'champion' has been contested from the start in this thread. Not just by me. To everyone, the only answer that you could muster was repeating over and over the same mantra that being the 'best' entitles them to being 'champions'. Aren't you becoming a bit blue from it?

Sad, really.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    Nobody's disputing this you numbskull!

A World Champion is the winner of a World Championship or World Cup. Even Olympic Champions are not World Champions, nor do they claim to be - unless perhaps you are going to claim that American Olympic Champions are also the World Champions, even when they don't win the World Championship. Words have meanings. Th ...[text shortened]... because of your nationalistic zeal. No wonder people are just scoffing at you on this thread.
    It's laughable for you idiots to claim I have some type of "nationalistic" zeal. It seems your kneejerk hatred is getting in the way of actually considering what my claim is (it certainly has nothing to do with "America"😉.

Lacking a professional competition with teams from other leagues, it is perfectly just that the champions of the NBA, which is universally recognized as the premier league by far, be considered "World Champions". That you guys would expand so much vitriol on such a trivial matter shows how truly warped your "thinking" is.

Until 1946, there was no international organization in chess that set rules as to how the World Championship was decided. But that did not stop a "World Champion" from being recognized. The recognized best players played a match and the winner was recognized as the World Champion. The situation is little different in this case; everyone knows that the NBA Champion has proven itself to be the best team in the world, so to harp and complain about the proven superior team being called "World Champions" is childish. They have been so designated for over 60 years with good reason.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:38
    It's laughable for you idiots to claim I have some type of "nationalistic" zeal. It seems your kneejerk hatred is getting in the way of actually considering what my claim is (it certainly has nothing to do with "America"😉.Lacking a professional competition with teams from other leagues, it is perfectly just that the champions of the NBA, which is univers ...[text shortened]... ions" is childish. They have been so designated for over 60 years with good reason.
    You're saying the same thing over and over again. It's already been refuted, by several people, from several different parts of the World. NBA Champions are NBA Champions and undisputably the best basketball club in the wolrd. But they are not World Champions. Only Americans assert this. The World does not recognize it. It's just a bit of American eccentricity. Probably harmless enough. Youpersonally probably do more harm to your country's image than the daft harmless World Champion claims you and your compatriots make about your domestic leagues.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:38
    Originally posted by Palynka
    As usual, you are the one 'holding your breath'.

Your sad assertion that 'best' = 'champion' has been contested from the start in this thread. Not just by me. To everyone, the only answer that you could muster was repeating over and over the same mantra that being the 'best' entitles them to being 'champions'. Aren't you becoming a bit blue from it?

Sad, really.
    The only claim seems to be is that because there is no mechanism for the NBA Champion to do what everybody knows they would do and thoroughly drub the champions of other weaker leagues that they cannot be considered World Champions. As I said, this claim is no more intellectually defensible than a claim that even if they did, they still couldn't call themselves World Champions because they didn't play five guys from Tibet who say they are really good.

Unless there is some reasonable evidence to believe that any other professional team anywhere else in the world (including the US BTW) could defeat the NBA Champions, the NBA Champions are the World Champions.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:41
    the NBA Champions are the World Champions.
    No. You're wrong.

But I have to go to bed now. Does that mean you win?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    You're saying the same thing over and over again. It's already been refuted, by several people, from several different parts of the World. NBA Champions are NBA Champions and undisputably the best basketball club in the wolrd. But they are not World Champions. Only Americans assert this. The World does not recognize it. It's just a bit of American eccentricity. ...[text shortened]... ft harmless World Champion claims you and your compatriots make about your domestic leagues.
    If a bunch of whiners can't accept reality than that's their problem. As already stated, the NBA is hardly a "domestic league". The palpable ignorance dripping from some posters in this thread is mind boggling.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. You're wrong.

But I have to go to bed now. Does that mean you win?
    Maybe you should respond to the whole sentence.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:43
    The palpable ignorance dripping from some posters in this thread is mind boggling.
    It's a pity that. Especially when you yourself are coming across so well.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:48
    The only claim seems to be is that because there is no mechanism for the NBA Champion to do what everybody knows they would do and thoroughly drub the champions of other weaker leagues that they cannot be considered World Champions. As I said, this claim is no more intellectually defensible than a claim that even if they did, they still couldn't call the ...[text shortened]... cluding the US BTW) could defeat the NBA Champions, the NBA Champions are the World Champions.
    No. You're wrong.
  15. where angels play
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 19:07
    If a bunch of whiners can't accept reality than that's their problem. As already stated, the NBA is hardly a "domestic league".
    Please enlighten me into what it is then?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree