World Champions?  Really?

World Champions? Really?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
10 Nov 08

What a bunch of a**holes.

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
10 Nov 08

It's rather simple really. The answer to the original post is "YES."

NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL champions ARE world champions, and any real sports fan knows it. And there are real fans of these sports all over the world.

F

Moves
10 Nov 08

Originally posted by no1marauder
The clearest point you've manged to make on this thread. But, wrong again, I'm afraid.

i

Moves
10 Nov 08

The Celtics would have kicked the s**t out of ANY team in ANY league in the world. The All Star teams cobbled together for international competition don't count.

All the other Celtic championship banners say "World Champions"; why should they change such a tradition because it offends some Canuck (they can't play ball anyway)? Go play with a puck, Darv.
Although I'm more of a football and hockey fan I'd dispute the invincibility of the NBA champions. Certainly, they'd be a strong contender to win a real World Club Championships but they'd do it let's say 3 out of 5 times. Isn't that what we've learned from the Dream Teams performances in the recent past? And for those two years when they'd lose, someone else could be legitimately called World Champions. (CSKA Moscow the winner and runner-up of the last few Euro league seasons comes to mind).
If you always call yourself the World Champion how could you ever lose this title?

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
10 Nov 08
1 edit

from No1

There is no World Cup or World Championship tournament for professional basketball teams. At the present level the leagues are at, it would be a foregone conclusion that the NBA Champions would easily win such a hypothetical competition.[/b]
This answers the thread admirably but doesn't go in your favour.

Make the hypothetic a reality. I'm sure a once every four year tournament for Clubs would be great. But it would only prove who is the best club team.
The USA "national team" (you don't need names like "all stars" thats an Americanism) should be the best from your best and very few in the world doubt USA's superacy at Basketball.. but other national teams like to and need to have the opportunity to play them before you can expect anyone to allow a championship title.

If I believed your argument then Munster Rugby Club side who beat the '78 New Zealand All Blacks Grand Slam team must have been the world champions at that time.. (That was a long story and a good one in history too).. The abs are playing Munster (European Club Champions) again this week.. NZ are not world chamions but many consider them the best in the world. If Munster beat them this week are Munster the best team in the world can they assume themselves champion.

We just had our general election in NZ and ousted our married prime minister who was married to Keith Davis for years but called herself Miss Helen Clark. He said it was so but it doesn't make it so.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
10 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by PocketKings
It's rather simple really. The answer to the original post is "YES."

NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL champions ARE world champions, and any real sports fan knows it. And there are real fans of these sports all over the world.
I'm a 'real sports fan' and I know that a World Champion competed in a competition that included teams from around the world, governed by an international affiliation body.
Unfortunately, no matter how many times you guys use this "Well, EVERYONE knows the [insert american league] champions are the World Champiions!" idiotic argument, will not change the fact that it's not proven until you actually do it...

- Crowley "World Fart Champion After Consuming Two Egg Salad Sandwiches"

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
10 Nov 08

Originally posted by Crowley
I'm a 'real sports fan' and I know that a World Champion competed in a competition that included teams from around the world, governed by an international affiliation body.
Unfortunately, no matter how many times you guys use this "Well, EVERYONE knows the [insert american league] champions are the World Champiions!" idiotic argument, will not change the fa ...[text shortened]... ly do it...

- Crowley "World Fart Champion After Consuming Two Egg Salad Sandwiches"
Then why aren't Olympic Champions referred to as World Champions? They meet all of your criteria.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
10 Nov 08

Great argument numb1! You truly are the Debate King!

- Crowley "World Champion Nail Clipping Shooting From His Toenail"

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
10 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by shortcircuit
Then why aren't Olympic Champions referred to as World Champions? They meet all of your criteria.
The IOC doesn't govern specific sports - they govern the Olympics.
Olympic 'champions' get gold medals. That's the way it works.

A World Championship should be an event sanctioned by a specific world sport governing body that enforces global rules and fair play throughout the global affiliations and all these affiliates should be allowed to have a chance to compete in the World championship of the specific sport.

- Crowley "World Champion Fast Talker Who Gets To The Point In A Cellphone Conversation To Make Full Use Of Per Second Billing"

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
10 Nov 08

Originally posted by PocketKings
Where are these non-American 'real sports fans' that think those teams are World Champions?

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
10 Nov 08
3 edits

Originally posted by Palynka
Where are these non-American 'real sports fans' that think those teams are World Champions?
Why do "non-Americans" care so much?

no1moronder made some points, but why does everyone care? it's just in the media that this happens.. does it really affect anyone's lives?

85 posts in this thread? COME ON!

Drama wins the world over sometimes.. ratings when watching makes money.. don't you guys see that building something up more than it's worth will win that?

The Canadiens have won a lot of Stanley Cups.. WOW.

If you talk about it enough, it must be something BIG!! right? 😕

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
10 Nov 08

Originally posted by SmookieP

no1moronder made some points, but why does everyone care? it's just in the media that this happens.. does it really affect anyone's lives?

Drama wins the world over sometimes.. ratings when watching makes money.. don't you guys see that building something up more than it's wort ...[text shortened]... Stanley Cups.. WOW.

Why do you care so much that people want to discuss about something you don't think they should care about?

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
10 Nov 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
Why do you care so much that people want to discuss about something you don't think they should care about?
Because my team sucks? 😲

What do you want me to say?

I just thought it was a little trifling about the fact that Americans call it world champions or whatever..

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
10 Nov 08

it's just in the media that this happens.. does it really affect anyone's lives?
Really, because it seems that numb1 BELIEVES it.
Is he just another mindless victim of clever advertising?

This topic (kinda) has been discussed here before, regarding the MLB "World Series".

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
10 Nov 08
1 edit

Drama wins the world over sometimes.. ratings when watching makes money.. don't you guys see that building something up more than it's wort ...[text shortened]... Stanley Cups.. WOW.

Um, I guess because we don't like having it rammed down our throats that such and such an American team is "World Champions" when there is no way of quantifying such a thing based on the lack of World competition. It's not anti-american not to accept this practice, it's just that I don't know of any other country in the world where the domestic league winner (in all sports) is declared World Champion.

Are you in favour of every domestic league/sport around the world declaring their winning team "World Champions" based on absolutely nothing?

Why have competition if these kinds of things can be declared? Why run the final furlong going into the final fence when a horse has got an unassailable lead? Why not just call the race as it is, as 2Bit seems to think is reasonable. The probability is that the leading horse won't fall, but unlike what 2Bit thinks, the long shot does occasionally pay out.

Also, the main reason why this thread has gotten so many posts is because everybody enjoys watching somebody fumble weakly through an argument.

D