1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 17:07
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I'm going to buy the Jays and turn them around. How much do you think I need? 300 bucks? 5?

P-
    Anybody would be better than our garbage GM. 🙁
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 18:21
    There are lots of teams that can win it all, getting there doesn't mean your going to win it all.

P-
    NOT getting there Garauntees you won't win.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 18:231 edit

I'd also like to know what The Jays do with their money they get for the luxury tax. Some owners pocket it content with what they have.

P-
    In 2006 the yankees total payroll was $194,700,000.

In 2006 the Jays total payroll was $71,900,000.

I don't think the Jays owners are pocketing the extra $120,000,000 .😞
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 18:32
    Originally posted by uzless
    In 2006 the yankees total payroll was $194,700,000.

In 2006 the Jays total payroll was $71,900,000.

I don't think the Jays owners are pocketing the extra $120,000,000 .😞
    Luxury tax is extra money divided to the other teams in the league when a team surpasses a certain number. I wonder what the Jays do with that extra money.

It certainly isn't the difference between what 2 teams paid... look it up.

P-
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 18:441 edit
    Luxury tax is extra money divided to the other teams in the league when a team surpasses a certain number. I wonder what the Jays do with that extra money.

It certainly isn't the difference between what 2 teams paid... look it up.

P-
    maybe I wasn't clear.

There is a 120 Million dollar gap between the Jays and yankees. You asked if Jays management were pocketing the luxury tax money they got. I was saying that no matter how much the luxury tax distribution is, it's no where near 120 million bux.

In other words, its hard to compete with the yanks and sox in the east division when you are spending 3 times less money.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 18:48
    Originally posted by uzless
    maybe I wasn't clear.

There is a 120 Million dollar gap between the Jays and yankees. You asked if Jays management were pocketing the luxury tax money they got. I was saying that no matter how much the luxury tax distribution is, it's no where near 120 million bux.
    Ah, got ya! Either way, you don't get something for nothing... they need to invest to compete. Call Bill Gates, tell him to buy the Jays so they can compete!

P-
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 18:51
    Ah, got ya! Either way, you don't get something for nothing... they need to invest to compete. Call Bill Gates, tell him to buy the Jays so they can compete!

P-
    Ted Rogers already added $30 mil in the payroll in the last couple years. I think Ricciardi used it to wipe his arse.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 18:59
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Ted Rogers already added $30 mil in the payroll in the last couple years. I think Ricciardi used it to wipe his arse.
    True... you get money, doesn't mean you know how to spend money.

P-
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 19:04
    True... you get money, doesn't mean you know how to spend money.

P-
    If I had $120 million, I bet I could put together a World Series team.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 21:26
    There is no bigger sour grapes than teams who try to diminish other teams accomplishments by talking about payroll. While I do admit the Blue Jays are in a tough situation, they spent a lot of money poorly. The Blue Jays overpaid for a closer who got hurt. Overpaid for a centerfielder who had an awful year. Overpaid for a third baseball whose stats are inflated by HGH. It is also hard to make trades when your GM is a whiney jerk.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    22 Oct '07 22:47
    Originally posted by poundlee
    There is no bigger sour grapes than teams who try to diminish other teams accomplishments by talking about payroll. While I do admit the Blue Jays are in a tough situation, they spent a lot of money poorly. The Blue Jays overpaid for a closer who got hurt. Overpaid for a centerfielder who had an awful year. Overpaid for a third baseball whose stats are inflated by HGH. It is also hard to make trades when your GM is a whiney jerk.
    I think it's safe to compare them to homeless people who spend their 20 bucks on booze and cigs rather than getting a good meal and a warm place to spend the night.

Great point.

P-
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '07 02:51
    Boston in 5. Boston has $$$$ and Colorado has......well.......lets see.....oh forget it, Boston in 4!!!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Oct '07 15:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    Boston in 5. Boston has $$$$ and Colorado has......well.......lets see.....oh forget it, Boston in 4!!!
    It ain't about money. Are you guys fans of players or accounting numbers. Boston has better players so I expect them to win, but I do hope the rockies win.
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 Oct '07 15:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    The series will go 6 or seven, and the team that WINS will win, not the team that is paid more.

P-
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    23 Oct '07 16:29
    Originally posted by poundlee
    Biggest load of male cow excrement I've heard in a decade.

With an extra 120 Million bux, the Jays could have went out and BOUGHT additional guys when their current players went in the tank or got injured!

Hmm, the Yankees wouldn't do this now would they? How many midseason/trade deadline players have they picked up over the last 5 years....

The extra cash allows the team to fix their mistakes mid season rather than after the contract has run out.

Use your tete.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree