1. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    22 Oct '07 13:09
    Sox in six. Colorado has altitude, Boston has Beckett.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    45179
    22 Oct '07 13:43
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Sox in six. Colorado has altitude, Boston has Beckett.
    It's gonna be a close one! Great series coming up!
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    22 Oct '07 15:24
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Sox in six. Colorado has altitude, Boston has Beckett.
    Was it Boston or New York that got into the World Series this year? I stopped watching.
  4. Account suspended
    Joined
    14 Aug '04
    Moves
    23763
    22 Oct '07 15:35
    I hate the Red Sox but I think they are the much better team. Boston in 5.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    22 Oct '07 15:53
    Originally posted by uzless
    Was it Boston or New York that got into the World Series this year? I stopped watching.
    It wasn't your team, loser.

    P-
  6. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Joined
    20 May '05
    Moves
    11372
    22 Oct '07 16:24
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Sox in six. Colorado has altitude, Boston has Beckett.
    Colorado will sweep yet another series
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    22 Oct '07 16:31
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Colorado will sweep yet another series
    Someday... but not this season.

    P-
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    22 Oct '07 16:33
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    It wasn't your team, loser.

    P-
    For sure, the Jays are a pitcher, a 3rd baseman and a DH away from competing.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    22 Oct '07 16:35
    Originally posted by uzless
    For sure, the Jays are a pitcher, a 3rd baseman and a DH away from competing.
    I would love to see some teams here in the East do better... Yankees are ripe for a season long collapse, and Jays could be a big help.

    P-
  10. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    22 Oct '07 16:361 edit
    As an aside, for darv, here's a run down of the last 6 years of who made the playoffs..Yankees every year and Boston 4 times outta 6. And i'm only talking american league here...not up on the National league.

    02 NY
    03 NY & BOS
    04 NY & BOS
    05 NY & BOS
    06 NY
    07 NY & BOS

    Call me crazy but that seems a bit repetitive.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Joined
    28 Mar '06
    Moves
    9908
    22 Oct '07 16:423 edits
    And in 2006, of the top 15 payroll salaries it breaks down like this....

    6 finished in top 5 of their league
    5 finished in mid 5 of their league
    3 finished in bottom 5 of their league


    Of the bottom 15 salaries it breaks down like this....

    3 finished in top 5 of their league
    3 finished in mid 5 of their league
    9 finished in bottom 5 of their league.


    Payroll doesn't have an influence on your chances of getting to the playoffs?? 😛
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    22 Oct '07 16:50
    Originally posted by uzless
    As an aside, for darv, here's a run down of the last 6 years of who made the playoffs..Yankees every year and Boston 4 times outta 6.

    02 NY
    03 NY & BOS
    04 NY & BOS
    05 NY & BOS
    06 NY
    07 NY & BOS

    Call me crazy but that seems a bit repetitive.
    The problem is your only looking at NYY and Bos.

    Angels have been there several times, Cardinals, Braves... you're just frustrated seeing Sox and Yanks achieve excellence and it's giving you and some other people tunnel vision.

    Look who's won it all in your list of years:

    Last year was Cards over Tigers
    Year before that was White Sox over Astros
    2004 Was Red Sox over Cards
    2003 Yanks lost to Marlins
    2002 Angels over Giants

    There are lots of teams that can win it all, getting there doesn't mean your going to win it all.

    P-
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    22 Oct '07 16:511 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    And in 2006, of the top 15 payroll salaries it breaks down like this....

    6 finished in top 5 of their league
    5 finished in mid 5 of their league
    3 finished in bottom 5 of their league


    Of the bottom 15 salaries it breaks down like this....

    3 finished in top 5 of their league
    3 finished in mid 5 of their league
    9 finished in bottom 5 of their league.


    Payroll doesn't have an influence on your chances of getting to the playoffs?? 😛
    If someone wants to put a quality product out there, it will pay for itself. Complain about your team NOT spending money before you complain about who is trying to put a quality product on the field.

    I'd also like to know what The Jays do with their money they get for the luxury tax. Some owners pocket it content with what they have.

    P-
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    45179
    22 Oct '07 17:001 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    If someone wants to put a quality product out there, it will pay for itself. Complain about your team NOT spending money before you complain about who is trying to put a quality product on the field.

    P-
    What a load of HOOEY!

    Not every team is able to have a payroll the size the China for a plethora of reasons. Too many teams do not get enough media coverage and thus do not reap the benefits of merchandise sales of such "popular" teams like the Sox, Yanks, Cubs, Cards, Mets, and others whose bottom line varies quite a bit from the small market teams.

    It's one thing to have the money and be able to put a quality product on the field but you can't just expect teams to simply pay more for success! There has to be more of a level playing field and NO the luxury tax does not cut it!

    That being said, I don't disagree that the Blue Jays are not getting their money's worth. 😛

    And uzless, you have a point. I will give you that one. But I challenge you to watch the games and tell me that they don't interest you. I am greatly looking forward to this World Series. Should be a dandy...
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    22 Oct '07 17:05
    Originally posted by darvlay
    What a load of HOOEY!

    Not every team is able to have a payroll the size the China for a plethora of reasons. Too many teams do not get enough media coverage and thus do not reap the benefits of merchandise sales of such "popular" teams like the Sox, Yanks, Cubs, Cards, Mets, and others whose bottom line varies quite a bit from the small market teams.
    ...[text shortened]... t interest you. I am greatly looking forward to this World Series. Should be a dandy...
    I'm going to buy the Jays and turn them around. How much do you think I need? 300 bucks? 5?

    P-
Back to Top