1. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 12:40
    Maureen has been found out by RA and it seems he's instructed Kenyon not to free up the money to back him (staggering considering it's a drop in the ocean to release £50-£100m for RA).

Now, the worrying thing for the rest of the EPL is Chelsea getting in a decent coach, the title could be going to SB for the foreseeable future with a quality manager in charge 😞
  2. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 12:41
    Originally posted by Palynka
    99/00, 00/01 the coach was Fernando Santos and in 01/02 the coach was Octavio Machado. Mourinho came about after around 2/3rds of that season were already gone. In that final third, he managed to lift us from 5th and playing woefully to 3rd and playing reasonably well. He declared at the end of that season that Porto would be Champions in 02/03. And they were.

So no, he didn't take over after 5 championship wins in 6 years.
    It appears we're both wrong.

He took over in season 01-02 (5 titles, 2 second places in 7 years) - My mistake! So they hadn't won it for 2 seasons.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 12:45
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    "You guys" - I'm Welsh not English. I was wearing my Portugese football shirt (that I bought on my annual holiday to the Algarve) for the England matches in '04 and '06. So if there's any bias from me then it's in your (Portugals) favour!

There are only problems off the pitch with the board because there are "problems" on the pitch. i.e Chelsea are not ...[text shortened]... URRENTLY he doesn't have 2 WORLD CLASS players fit and available in each position.
    Is it in Portugal's favour or simply in England's disfavour?

It's Kenyon's fault that he's spending the money disregarding Mourinho's opinions. I'm not talking about the recent rants, I'm talking about the start of the season and the team planning that is too un-Mourinho like to believe the problems began now. No, the problems surfaced now, that's the difference.

The British press bangs on and on about the foreigners which are ruining the game because it sells. And people are fed the same information so many times they begin to buy into that crap. Look at Drogba. Last year, everybody was already hailing him as overrated crap and he wasn't fit to tie Shevchenko's boots. This year, Sheva comes to Chelsea and Drogba is now one the best strikers in England and Shevchenko isn't fit to tie Rooney's boots. Come on, such analysis of players are fickle and irrelevant in the long run and are mostly driven by the popular press (not just the British one, our sports press is the same, but we're talking about the Premiership here) so they can sell people what they want to read.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 12:461 edit
    It appears we're both wrong.

He took over in season 01-02 (5 titles, 2 second places in 7 years) - My mistake! So they hadn't won it for 2 seasons.
    He took over in 01-02 (like I said) but the season was already over for Porto at that time. He did excellently to get us to the UEFA cup, as we were in danger of skipping it.
  5. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 12:471 edit
    Is it in Portugal's favour or simply in England's disfavour?
    Well I don't holiday there JUST SO I can buy a football shirt IN CASE they happen to play England in the next tournament.

Edit - Watford v LFC has started. Back later
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Jan '07 12:51
    Well I don't holiday there JUST SO I can buy a football shirt IN CASE they happen to play England in the next tournament.
    I'm not saying you're xenophobic, AB, I'm sorry if you understood that, I'm saying that, in general, opinions are biased by the press which has an interest in slagging anybody who beats England. Argentinians (also for non-football reasons, though) and Italians already went through such phases and nowadays it's us.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 10:51
    I love it how Jose has already changed the focus of Chelsea's bad form onto himself. Now everybody's talking about what he said regarding not being backed up by the board or if he's going to leave at the end of the season. Genius!
    Absolute genius.

He's managed to unsettle the players even more, and now they;re even talking about revolting against the board.
    "We don't want Jose to go and if it takes five or six of the senior players to tell them so, then that's what we're prepared to do," said Terry.

"We are all loyal to Jose but this is putting pressure on everyone."

Yup, just what you want your players to be thinking about, when you're floundering in a rough patch.

Well done Palonka for putting a silver lining on every eff up of Mourinhos. 🙄

D
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 12:192 edits
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Absolute genius.

He's managed to unsettle the players even more, and now they;re even talking about revolting against the board.
    "We don't want Jose to go and if it takes five or six of the senior players to tell them so, then that's what we're prepared to do," said Terry.

"We are all loyal to Jose but this is putting pressure on everyone."

Yup, ...[text shortened]...

Well done Palonka for putting a silver lining on every eff up of Mourinhos. 🙄

D
    Do you think it would be better for a manager to have their players against him and back the board instead?

Evidently, Mourinho knows how to have the players on his side. How is that a problem for him? Sheesh... Think a bit before you type next time.

Yup, just what you want your players to be thinking about, when you're floundering in a rough patch.
    Damn right. Another reason to fight for.
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 12:21

Players can be so naive 🙄. RA's The Boss at Chelsea and if players think little things like loyalty to a manager can get in the way of his dictatorship they are sadly deluded.
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 17:42
    Do you think it would be better for a manager to have their players against him and back the board instead?

Evidently, Mourinho knows how to have the players on his side. How is that a problem for him? Sheesh... Think a bit before you type next time.

[b]Yup, just what you want your players to be thinking about, when you're floundering in a rough patch.

Damn right. Another reason to fight for.[/b]
    For a member of the football intelligentsia, as you claim to be, 🙄 you don't seem to know much about football.

Do you remember when Sir Alex Ferguson announced his retirement for the end of the season? United went on to have their worst season in years. Uncertainty helps nobody in a team. However, feel free to argue otherwise. I enjoy watching you make a fool out of yourself.

D
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 18:501 edit
    For a member of the football intelligentsia, as you claim to be, 🙄 you don't seem to know much about football.

Do you remember when Sir Alex Ferguson announced his retirement for the end of the season? United went on to have their worst season in years. Uncertainty helps nobody in a team. However, feel free to argue otherwise. I enjoy watching you make a fool out of yourself.

D
    We'll see how Chelsea plays, now won't we? It seems to me it's the board that wants the coach out, not necessarily the coach that wants out. That means your analogy with Ferguson is utter crap.

Edit - So far, so good it seems. But we'll see...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree