2011 Championship

2011 Championship

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i

Moves
03 Oct 11

Originally posted by adramforall
So you envisage penalising subscribers who do not want to enter the annual championships?

How is that fair when non subs are not to be penalised as they CANNOT enter?

The only people who should be dictating how many games they want to play is the member themselves.
So, the subs will have a choice: either enter and get some extra points, or not enter and lose some points. Actually, you can say it's unfair to non-subs since they can't increase their points cheaply. Alternatively, drop the sticks and retain the carrots just to add points for participation. Don't forget it's only for 2000+ players with the aim to bring the best of the site into the premier tourney.

They do something similar in pro tennis where the top players have to play in the Grand Slam events unless injured.

p

Moves
03 Oct 11
2 edits

The initial point raised by Bebop5 was that he felt his quality of play would suffer,having only a few minutes for each move against very strong competition in 30 games(He has since resigned all his games,the 2nd player to do so).

Other highly rated players have voiced their displeasure with so many games.Were we to ask the other contestants in the 3rd round and I'm sure they would all say the same thing: too many games. It any case it is indisputable that CC/RHP chess should not have such a time constraint when the timebank is 60 days, a contradiction in terms.

The reasons for this situation are known: a)the Championship started only in February; b)it is supposed to be concluded by 31 December; c)the high number of contestants makes it impossible to reduce the number of contestants in the 3rd round,the toughest of all rounds.

Accepting the above as facts, and that 60 days per round is a good time limit, it is clear then that:
1)The Championship must start on the 1st of January;
2)Since it should finish by 31st December then the number of contestants has to be reduced.

The controversy arises with the last point, opinions being divided between "open to all" and "some kind of restriction/selection".

Against the "open to all" stands the fact that the World Chess Championship is restricted to the highest rated players (or something to that effect) and that any championship in any sport has divisions/levels. Personally I don't see the advantage/pleasure/benefit for a 1600 player to be crushed by a 2000 player. If he wants to learn that way, he can play in any other tournament where he will face those 2000 players.

It seems to me the obvious answer is to have 2 divisions: Division A from 1801, for instance, and Division B up to 1800 ratings,as suggested in this thread. Each of these divisions would have a more balanced competition than we have now,and each would give a truer reflection of the ability of each winner.

Wouldn't everybody be happier this way?

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
04 Oct 11

Simplest answer is to only allow the top player in each group to advance.

Doing this in the current championships would have meant with 104 groups that only 104 players advanced to the 2nd round, rather than the 118 that did.

With 104 players you could have 6 groups of 10 and 4 groups of 11 meaning that only 10 players advance to the final group (rathjer than the 16 that did) meaning a maximum of 18 games.

Obviously the groups where two or more players have the same points would have to be recalculated along the following lines until a winner is found :

Their records against each other
Their records against the highest rated player down to lowest rated player
Where this was unable to differentiate then the amount of moves taken to win/draw the matches in the aforementioned order is used.

Moves
04 Oct 11

Simplest answer is to only allow the top player in each group to advance.

Doing this in the current championships would have meant with 104 groups that only 104 players advanced to the 2nd round, rather than the 118 that did.

With 104 players you could have 6 groups of 10 and 4 groups of 11 meaning that only 10 players advance to the final group ( ...[text shortened]... iate then the amount of moves taken to win/draw the matches in the aforementioned order is used.
Could someone explain what the problem is, that is being worked on?

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
05 Oct 11

Originally posted by JS357
Could someone explain what the problem is, that is being worked on?
Some of the big guns are not happy with such a big final round.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
05 Oct 11

While not ideal (I would much rather play mini matches where I could focus on one player) it's fair. I have blundered already in two games and have a third that will be long drawn out suffering. I imagine that *most* players are in similar situations.

Moves
06 Oct 11
1 edit

Some of the big guns are not happy with such a big final round.
Then they should have played better.😀

Houston, Texas

Moves
10 Oct 11

Originally posted by JS357
Then they should have played better.😀
That generally has nothing to do with it. The final round would have been just as big, especially if all players earlier had equally played better and still had the advancing ties in the earlier rounds.

Australia

Moves
11 Oct 11

Tournament 10998

Russ, it would be great if the tourney ID could be inserted in the same way into the forum thread title, to save us the bother of looking it up over and over. How about it?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
26 Oct 11

The tournament is in full swing as far as I can see a lot of moves ahve been made.
David Tebb is finishing off his game fastest and hasn't lost a single one, but drew a lot.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
11 Nov 11

Originally posted by Ponderable
The tournament is in full swing as far as I can see a lot of moves ahve been made.
David Tebb is finishing off his game fastest and hasn't lost a single one, but drew a lot.
Dramatic developments. David Tebb long leading contender has been eliminated. Now there are five who battle it out.

a
Frustrate the Bad

Liverpool

Moves
11 Nov 11

Not so dramatic, in truth - although DT can speak for himself.

RHP is changing - and not in a good way. Indeed it may already have changed. One can safely predict that Cohonas will win the tournament. Anyone who plays c. 600 games in here @2400, drawing only 11 and losing only 5, is going to win the tournament. Definitely.

And Cohonas, given the way things have gone in RHP, may not only win the tournament - he may even become Champion 😲

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
12 Nov 11

Originally posted by atticus2

RHP is changing - and not in a good way. Indeed it may already have changed. One can safely predict that Cohonas will win the tournament. Anyone who plays c. 600 games in here @2400, drawing only 11 and losing only 5, is going to win the tournament. Definitely.

And Cohonas, given the way things have gone in RHP, may not only win the tournament - he may even become Champion 😲
Clud I be right in what I think?

Nah he wouldn't have the cohonas to do that, would he? 😛

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
20 Nov 11

Originally posted by atticus2

I never noticed his losses minus timeouts- but that makes sense. He belongs in the top ten with Kingshill, K&P, and Kaos etc..

Conductor

Zwolle

Moves
20 Nov 11

To me the Fritz Brothers are favourite 😛😀