1. Rossville, Georgia
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 03:431 edit
    Originally posted by pawnofthedead
    In response to: A player rated 1200 is either lazy or doesn't want to improve their game.
    I coached recreational sports year round for 9+ years. I had a son who played and was mostly mediocre. I kept driving him to excel I understand the comments re: unequally matched players in tournaments. Please don't insult me as being under 1200 if I choose to ' ...[text shortened]... a subscriber and if I choose to play for fun,I would be glad to match resumes with you anytime,

I confess that Ihave NOT read ALL your posts.I quickly understood where you were at.The tournament 'system' is skewed. I belong to many interactive online sites that engage my eclectic interests. I participate in each of
    them to the degree where I feel comfortable and 'served' in terms of what I want from that site. There are individuals on each and EVERY site that detect and complain about some problem with the admin of the site. Many of them have canned their membership, wrote harsh posts, got involved in arguments with other members, etc. I usually don't prescribe to being involved in something that sucks the enjoyment and a large chunk of time out of what I go to a site to do. I understand your point about the tourneys. Isn't there some sort of international rating for chess play (yes there is) that could be formatted to RHP? The primary problem with many people who begin with chess is that they don't realize that it can be a 'lifetime' game, just like any other 'serious' endeavor in games, sports, hobbys, professions, etc. We have the 'drive-thru' mentality where we want to advance without due work/process. I would consider it an honor to play any rank player on this site. Would you consider playing me a game? Not just for fun--for real.Please? Meanwhile, good luck with your battle for justice.It will be difficult.-----Ted
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 06:10
    As soon as I reduce my games I would be happy to play you.
    Angela
  3. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 17:222 edits
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I hereby apoligise that most 1200 players either don't care about or are too lazy to work hard to improve their chess ability,
    World Chess Champion Emmanuel Lasker was quoted as saying that anyone of normal intelligence could become a master at chess.
    I can't believe that is true (not that he said it but that the statement itself is true), perhaps someone of normal intelligence but with a special gift for chess maybe? I have absolutely no chance of becoming a Master, I'm not saying I am a genuis or anything but I do have a 1st class honours degree and have usually been one of the best in my chosen profession, so I can't believe that I am below average intelligence. By the way I have tried hard at chess too, although I am fairly newish to otb but that's where I judge myself (because I put a lot of time in here and for all I know my opponent could be moving quickly). On here I have always dreamed of getting to 2000 but I may not make it because I have had a 'dream run' (including drawing against you, but then your rating seems to have taken a dive recently and I may have actually lost a point or two with that draw) to get to my current rating (that I just can't see happening again) but have recently blundered to someone in a current game which will probably cost me the 2000 milestone (although I know it's cheating slightly I am going to try and drag that game out and finish others first)
  4. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 19:51
    I believe Emanuel Lasker actually said that he could take a person of average intelligence and turn them into a chess master by the end of six months.

That sounds right. If an ordinary player in any sport or game is coached for 6 months by a World Champion, then it would be surprising if they didn't become very good at it.
  5. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 08:57
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    I believe Emanuel Lasker actually said that he could take a person of average intelligence and turn them into a chess master by the end of six months.

That sounds right. If an ordinary player in any sport or game is coached for 6 months by a World Champion, then it would be surprising if they didn't become very good at it.
    Ahh thanks David that makes much more sense, now the tricky part to find someone like him lol
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Nov '06 10:26
    Originally posted by Mr Sardiwal
    I think people who enter a banded tournament when their true rating dictates that they should be entering a banded tournament of lets say at least 200 points higher should be threatened with the prospect of them being removed from the site. Just like with people using engines, it is a form of cheating. Could this be possible to implement?

I will be th ...[text shortened]... es to spare so thought I would start this threat. It would be interesting to hear your comments.
    i completely agree, and theres one other thing that annoys me in tournamnets. When you're in a banded tournament and one of the players leave the site (just walks off) and everyone else picks up points from timeouts (but people who may have played this person before they left may have lost). I know there's nothing anyone can do about it but it just annoys me (and i know it happens regulary)

But then i like to moan 🙂
  7. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 06:06
    I don't understand what is meant by a person's "true rating"

Is that a cosmic thing?
  8. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    05 Nov '06 10:29
    Originally posted by Mr Sardiwal
    I think people who enter a banded tournament when their true rating dictates that they should be entering a banded tournament of lets say at least 200 points higher should be threatened with the prospect of them being removed from the site. Just like with people using engines, it is a form of cheating. Could this be possible to implement?

I will be th ...[text shortened]... es to spare so thought I would start this threat. It would be interesting to hear your comments.
    But what time period do you (and everyone else) feel is acceptable to enter a tournamnet when your rating was previously higher? of course if someone's rating crashes dramatically and they enter a tournament when their rating was say 300 points higher only 6 weeks earlier is not acceptable. But what about say 9 months? I am asking this because I can see this happening to me, to explain I am not really enjoying my cc anymore, it has become too serious, in my quest to get to a rating of 2000 I have started spending far too long on each game, it has taken the fun out of it (I still bloody blundered a knight away for 2 pawns in a current game though). I am currently thinking I should lighten up and start playing with an otb attitude and approach, which will of course bring my rating down, I reckon to about 1700 (as I will no longer be using databases or spending literally hours analysing one game). I have fallen into the trap of being a ratings junkie, which I think is a bit pathetic and need to get out of this rut.
  9. Rossville, Georgia
    Moves
    07 Nov '06 08:421 edit
  10. Standard memberdundee24
    Day Dreamer
    Grace Idaho
    Moves
    08 Nov '06 22:18
    PLASE CHECK OUT... MY POST... "CHECK IT OUT". BY THE WAY SOME PLAYER'S ARE JUST PLAYER'S HAVE NO NEED TO GET BETTER. THEY SEE THEM SELFS AS GRATE NO MATER WHERE THEY STAND IN LIFE, IN SPORT OR OTHERWISE. I'M SORRY TO SEE THAT HAPPEN, WHAT A BETTER PLACE WE COULD ALL LIVE IN IF WE JUST APPLIDE OUR SELVES TO BEING BETTER.

"Greed of the taken ground can land one in troubled times of desperation"
    By; Skip Sabin; 04
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 00:37
    Originally posted by dundee24
    PLASE CHECK OUT... MY POST... "CHECK IT OUT". BY THE WAY SOME PLAYER'S ARE JUST PLAYER'S HAVE NO NEED TO GET BETTER. THEY SEE THEM SELFS AS GRATE NO MATER WHERE THEY STAND IN LIFE, IN SPORT OR OTHERWISE. I'M SORRY TO SEE THAT HAPPEN, WHAT A BETTER PLACE WE COULD ALL LIVE IN IF WE JUST APPLIDE OUR SELVES TO BEING BETTER.

"Greed of the taken ground can land one in troubled times of desperation"
    By; Skip Sabin; 04
    Perhaps you should have applide yourself in English class so you could be a grate speller, perhaps even as good as myself's.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Nov '06 17:15
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    You've been beating this horse for months now. You've been hyper critical of admin, and you've provided links to CC chess websites which are absolute jokes. Why haven't you tried to do something constructive? Thread 52938
    Talk about beating the horse. How many *more* threads are you going to pimp out your thread to? You are obviously doing it because you don't think your "fantastic" idea is being given the audience it deserves. Apparently it never entered your head that people don't agree. If they did, your "fantastic" idea would be getting more support even if you only posted it in Site Ideas and didn't pollute the other forums with links back to it. Geeez, let it die a natural death, please. Not a week goes by that I don't see you still performing CPR on it.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Nov '06 20:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Talk about beating the horse. How many *more* threads are you going to pimp out your thread to? You are obviously doing it because you don't think your "fantastic" idea is being given the audience it deserves. Apparently it never entered your head that people don't agree. If they did, your "fantastic" idea would be getting more support even if you only ...[text shortened]... ural death, please. Not a week goes by that I don't see you still performing CPR on it.
    Why are you suddenly digging up month old posts to have a pop at me?

Why do you think that a link to a site idea regarding a solution for people entering the wrong banded tournaments is on topic in a thread in the tournaments forum entitled Banded Tournaments & Unfair Behaviour is polluting the tournament's forum? 😕

You really shouldn't be dredging up old posts and making out as though they are current, for the sole purpose of flaming. Especially considering you've just entered a Ladies tournament, avatars-female-sexy-100x100-240.jpg. 🙄

Like your good self, I'm not an unreasonable man. I shall allow you a free shot at me with this quoted post, and wish that you enjoyed the flaming attempt. I shall even go so far as to offer an apology if you post links to these "weekly CPR posts" that I have made in November.

And having reread the site idea thread, I must apologise to you for spending the time working on a solution which the admin are looking to solve. I must also apologise to the 11 people who wasted their valuable nu-recs on my pollution. I shall in future try to be more like you (See my profile), and I will refrain from any kind of positivity in the forums, preferring, like you, to use them for flaming others.

Thanks,

D
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 00:15
    You really shouldn't be dredging up old posts and making out as though they are current, for the sole purpose of flaming. Especially considering you've just entered a Ladies tournament, avatars-female-sexy-100x100-240.jpg. 🙄
    LOL
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Nov '06 01:13
    Sorry, I didn't realize that posts that are not even one month old yet are "old posts" and as such are off-limits. I must have missed that somewhere. All I know is that, like I said in my post, you've been pushing this thread of yours like a used-car salesman, and I guess I snapped when I saw you post a link to the thread *yet again*. And like a politician, you are always pushing ideas of yours that you perceive people "don't understand" (see the very thread you are always pushing for examples). If there's one thing I rail against, it is rabid self-promotion. I just finally had my limit of it, that's all.

And WTF are you going on about an avatar for? Can you possibly say anything more non-sequiter? What in the world does this have to do with anything, especially the Ladies' Tournament? Obviously it was just a weak attempt at a comeback, even though you go on to claim to allow me a "free shot". Oh well... better than your "cheap shot".

You coulda just shrugged my comments off, like so many shrug your comments off... like I did for a long time. Certainly, both of our comments are opinions, and as such, aren't really that important. If you want to make this about my gender, then you are really looking to be made a fool, even more so than your posts do already.

Bah, I'm ending this now. I'm done, I said my piece. If you're just looking for the adoration of your peers, go ahead and open fire. Have fun. I don't care, and I doubt if anyone else does either.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree