1. london
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 16:55
    I think people who enter a banded tournament when their true rating dictates that they should be entering a banded tournament of lets say at least 200 points higher should be threatened with the prospect of them being removed from the site. Just like with people using engines, it is a form of cheating. Could this be possible to implement?

I will be the first to admit that I have entered banded tournaments (that I have won) in the past that I no way should have done. Those being the mini banded V and VI 1-1099 tournaments and the Autumn 2005 Face Off Banded < 999. In retrospect it was a big mistake and unfair to the other people that entered the tournament. I know that at the time they were the only tournaments I could have entered, but that is no justification (if there can possibly be one). This brings me onto my second point. Could tournament wins be taken away from players that have entered easy banded tournaments AND as a result have easily won the tournament. I had 10 minutes to spare so thought I would start this threat. It would be interesting to hear your comments.
  2. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 22:17
    Maybe you should have spent your 10 minutes to trawl through older threads which discuss this issue in depth (and then some).

Apparently the admins are presently doing something about this, goodness knows what it is though, they're not very good at communicating back to their customers.

Removal from the site is a litte harsh, especially when it's not in the 'usage agreement' that you sign when you start.
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 22:21
    Give it a rest.

It is much more unfair to have a 1700 player play a 2100 rated player than for a 1400 to play in a banded for under 1200.

A player rated 1200 is either lazy or doesn't want to improve their game.
    A player rated 1700 actually has actually studied chess to play at this level.
    All these lazy, don't care 1200 players do is cry and cry about how horribly unfair these tournaments are.

WELL BOO HOO

Of course no one cares that the system has been rigged to favor those lazy, don't care 1200 players.

Reward the lazy, don't care 1200 players and penalize the 1700 players who actually have studied the game which we claim to love.

Stop complaining about trivial matters like a 1400 playing in an under 1200 section and try studying chess to improve your game.

Weak players are weak players because they choose NOT to study.

Angela
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 00:25
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Give it a rest.

It is much more unfair to have a 1700 player play a 2100 rated player than for a 1400 to play in a banded for under 1200.

All these lazy, don't care 1200 players do is cry and cry ab ...[text shortened]... rove your game.

Angela
    Poor people are poor because they are lazy.
  5. london
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 15:55
    Saying 'poor people are poor because they are lazy' is an incredibly ignorant, pathetic and stupid comment. And additionally some people don't want to study chess and therefore improve, as their sole intention of playing chess is to enjoy themselves regardless of whether that means losing.
  6. Standard memberDraxus
    Mr. Bombastic
    Ogden, Ut
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 17:52
    Give it a rest.

All these lazy, don't care 1200 players do is cry and cry ab ...[text shortened]... rove your game.

Angela
    Wow, that was incredibly presumptuous. You are saying that the only people who should ask for a solution for this problem are only those people of 1700+ status. I completely disagree.

Of course, your argument the 1200-1400 rated players being poor chess players becuase they are lazy doesn't help at all. Are you saying then that they shouldn't ask for help because in your all-seeing eye they are lazy? What about the people who just want to casually play chess? They pay for the site too and therefore can ask for help, whether or not they are as competitive or interested in chess as you.

Like I said, presumptuous.
  7. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 18:21
    Originally posted by Mr Sardiwal
    Saying 'poor people are poor because they are lazy' is an incredibly ignorant, pathetic and stupid comment. And additionally some people don't want to study chess and therefore improve, as their sole intention of playing chess is to enjoy themselves regardless of whether that means losing.
    Really? How perceptive! I'm sure the poster didn't intend to give that horrible impression. 😲
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 21:43
    Originally posted by Draxus
    Of course, your argument the 1200-1400 rated players being poor chess players becuase they are lazy doesn't help at all. Are you saying then that they shouldn't ask for help ? What about the people who just want to casually play chess? They pay for the site too and therefore can ask for help.
    I also used the phrase "don't care". Is the help they seek altering the terms of competition ? If they are "casual" players then why are they so concerned with winning tournaments?? I have known and played many casual players of OTB chess and they know that in a competition they usually lose to players who study chess intensely. Not like the internet crybabies I see here.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 22:14
    I also used the phrase "don't care". Is the help they seek altering the terms of competition ? If they are "casual" players then why are they so concerned with winning tournaments?? I have known and played many casual players of OTB chess and they know that in a competition they usually lose to players who study chess intensely. Not like the internet crybabies I see here.
    the majority of the paying customers of this site are -1400 so its in the interests of the owners to keep these people happy. the whole point of banded tournament is allowing a bunch of players of about the same level play in a tournament - competitive games, chance of winning a tournament etc. a 1700+ layer entering a 1200-1400 band makes a mockery of this concept and shouldn't be allowed.
  10. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 00:241 edit
    Who are you? The chess Vice Principle? I play because I like the game and enjoy the competition. Study this.
  11. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 04:281 edit
    Originally posted by trevor33
    the majority of the paying customers of this site are -1400 so its in the interests of the owners to keep these people happy. - competitive games, chance of winning a tournament etc. a 1700+ layer entering a 1200-1400 band makes a mockery of this concept and shouldn't be allowed.
    Exactly my point.
    If you desire mediocrity then you are in the right place.
    Perhaps you are just not aware that in ALL competitions, regardless of the sport, the majority are of lesser ability.
    A 1700 player who is continually forced to play 2200 players is also a mockery.
    And shouldn't be allowed.
  12. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 09:48
    Give it a rest.

Angela
    good points. but not everyone plays to study and be the grandmaster you are.
  13. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 09:59
    actually good point.. have to agree.
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 10:03
    Perhaps you are just not aware that in ALL competitions, regardless of the sport, the majority are of lesser ability.
    So what you're saying is that the Special Olympics should be done away with, and women should have to compete with men in all sports?

D
  15. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    29 Oct '06 12:34
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    So what you're saying is that the Special Olympics should be done away with, and women should have to compete with men in all sports?

D
    touche'

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree