1. Standard memberMrJohn
    A Chess Friend :-)
    Texas :-)
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 22:32
    Hi :-)

I'm interested in the Long Haul Split Tournements with the 21 day timeout and the 21 day timebank. If I join one of these tourneys the next time one opens up, how many tournement games would I be playing at any one time? Is it only one game at a time, or more than one?

Thx! John :-)
  2. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    19 Mar '07 23:31
    Originally posted by MrJohn

I'm interested in the Long Haul Split Tournements with the 21 day timeout and the 21 day timebank. If I join one of these tourneys the next time one opens up, how many tournement games would I be playing at any one time? Is it only one game at a time, or more than one?

It depends. If its a duel you will have 2 games but more often you will have 6 games (3 opponents).

Be prepared to take 10 years to finish a duel.
  3. Joined
    23 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 19:56
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Be prepared to take 10 years to finish a duel.
    Except for sprint duels, which you may finish in 3 - 4 years

🙂
  4. OC
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 01:00

Mr. John,

How are you doing?

I am currently playing in a tournament with 21 days per move and a 21 day timebank. This tournament started in December before Christmas (to be honest, I believe that the tournament started in late November, but I can't remember).

Each tournament has a different number of games that you play. Some group the players randomly. Some have all the players playing one another. You can learn more about the different types of tournaments by going to the Help section regarding tournaments.

The tournament that I am in is a knockout with sixty-four competitors. We each play two games against a single opponent (one as white and one as black, of course) with the winner of the games advancing to the next round (there is a point system but that is irrelevant to the point that I am about to make).

(My point) - We have not finished the first round. There are currently three of the thirty-two groups still playing and none of them are anywhere near ending in the near future. Each of the remaining games/groups can safely wait until May before any timeouts will occur.

In fact, I don't expect that there will be any timeouts. I am certain that those who are not moving will move long before a timeout can occur. Since they have three weeks per move, even without the timebank, they have plenty of time to spare. In fact, there is one group that who has only moved eight or nine times in their games.

I, therefore, do not expect the second round to begin until June or July at the earliest.

Once the second round begins, this process will repeat.

This tournament will not end until November 2007 if then. If I had to fathom a guess, I would estimate that this tournament may not end until Summer 2008.

So, if you don't mind a tournament that could take this amount of time, go ahead and sign up. If you prefer something quicker, I strongly suggest that you not join such a tournament.

Good luck,

Goofball
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 11:28

You play everyone twice. Normally Split tournaments have 24 entrants. These are split in half to give two groups of 12. You would have 11 opponents which you play twice so you recieve 22 games. 🙂

Splits are the best, you don't get surprised by extra games months after you entered a tournie. IMO they are the most fun. Enjoy 😀
  6. OC
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 11:53
    There are three basic types of tournaments:

Knockout

Entrants are paired, and each player plays one game as black and white. The victor advances to the next round. In the event of a draw, both players advance.

In a knockout, in each round, you will play a total of two games per round as I described in my previous post.

Grouped

Entrants are arranged in groups of 3 or more. Each player in a group plays a game as both black and white against every other player in their group. The winner of each group advances – or in the case of a draw, all players on equal points in a group advance.

In a grouped tournament, you will play between six to two times the number of players in each group. Any group tournament will indicate how many players are in each group on the page at sign up. Each round, a new group of games starts. Once again, the size of each group is determined by the tournament rules.

Single Group

Each player plays a game as both black and white against every other player.

So, in a single group, if there are twenty-four total players, one would play forty-six games at the same time. Though the total number of games at a single time would be high, there is no repeats. You win or lose based upon the games that you are playing.

MrJohn, you need to check the type of tournament that you are interested in playing. If you prefer fewer games, you should play in a knockout (just remember that this will take a while and you might be surprised when the first round of the tournament ends and you suddenly find yourself in two new games).

If you prefer more games or a quicker outcome, you should enter the single group.

Groups are simply in between these two. A group tournament won't overwhelm you with games - since you will know how many are in each group.

Does this answer your question?
  7. OC
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 11:591 edit
    As I went and checked the two Long Haul Split Tournaments that are currently in progress, I see that each of these has twenty-four competitors split into two groups of twelve players.

This would mean that in the first round a competitor would play twenty-two games. Then, in the second round, each competitor woulc play twenty-two games.
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 13:121 edit
    Originally posted by goofball343
    As I went and checked the two Long Haul Split Tournaments that are currently in progress, I see that each of these has twenty-four competitors split into two groups of twelve players.

This would mean that in the first round a competitor would play twenty-two games. Then, in the second round, each competitor woulc play twenty-two games.
    Why don't you look at the tournament you are considering joining. If yo uclick on it, there will be many statistics regarding the tournament on the left. One of those is group size. Since you play two games against everyone else in your group, the number of games you will play in the first round is...

(group size - 1) * 2

-1 because you don't play yourself

You can safely assume that latter rounds will have group size equal to or (in the case of splits and grands) smaller than the size in the first round.

Edit: The only exception I can think of is in duels when there are an odd number of people moving on, you will have one group of three.
  9. Standard memberMrJohn
    A Chess Friend :-)
    Texas :-)
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 11:18
    Originally posted by goofball343
    Does this answer your question?
    Yes. Thanks, all! I think I've got it! :-)

It looks to me like, for someone like me who prefers a few, heavily analyzed, slow, chatty games, individual challenges are realy better than the tourneys. Once you find an opponent who is your sort, he can refer you on to other, like-minded opponents, and you can quickly build up as many games as you want. I'm up to three games in progress, currently, and that's really all I need. :-)

Thanks so much for clueing me in on how the tourneys work!

:-)
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 11:43
    Yes. Thanks, all! I think I've got it! :-)

It looks to me like, for someone like me who prefers a few, heavily analyzed, slow, chatty games, individual challenges are realy better than the tourneys. Once you find an opponent who is your sort, he can refer you on to other, like-minded opponents, and you can quickly build up as many games as you want. I ...[text shortened]... really all I need. :-)

Thanks so much for clueing me in on how the tourneys work!

:-)
    If you like to keep your games low, play in dual tournaments. You only have one opponent (two games). Beware though, long timeouts in duals are bad. There can be 10 rounds in a dual (depending on number of entrants and the results duaring the tournie) so if you choose a 21/21 dual, you'll probably wait about 5-8 years for the final. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree