Rating increase and banded tournaments

Rating increase and banded tournaments

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M
Dutch

Moves
08 Nov 07

ok.. so I entered a 1300-1400 banded tournament and now I am 1700+, so the next round I wont start moving in my new games and I will get out of the tournament.
I know there are no rules about this but what do you think? When should you step out of a banded tournament?
Should there be guidelines?

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
08 Nov 07

Originally posted by MetBierOp
ok.. so I entered a 1300-1400 banded tournament and now I am 1700+, so the next round I wont start moving in my new games and I will get out of the tournament.
I know there are no rules about this but what do you think? When should you step out of a banded tournament?
HELL NO! You should always finish a tournament that you entered, regardless of your rating. You're rating is what it is and you've been improving. Don't let your rating or other people make you drop out of a tournament you're in.

i

Moves
08 Nov 07
2 edits

In general I think it's OK to play on. But from your graph, it looks like you may have only been down in that rating range because of leaving the site for a while (timeouts or mass resignation). In that case, yeah, maybe you should drop out, but it's still a personal decision and it wouldn't really hold it against someone either way.

Actually it would be better to only enter banded tournaments when you think your current entry rating is fairly valid (e.g. not right after a bunch of timeouts--or 100 days after or however it works out). Then if you just improve I'd never consider that a problem.

Nearing 250000...!

Moves
08 Nov 07

Get out! Grrrrr!

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
12 Nov 07
1 edit

Originally posted by MetBierOp
I think it should be more of a case of I know my true rating is 1700+ is it ethical to enter a 1300/1400 tourney just because my rating bummed after a heap of timeouts.

You are denying a tournament win to a genuine player in that banding range.

The sooner entry to a banded tournament is based on your highest ever rating minus say 150/200 points the better.

M

Moves
13 Nov 07

Originally posted by adramforall
I think it should be more of a case of [b]I know my true rating is 1700+ is it ethical to enter a 1300/1400 tourney just because my rating bummed after a heap of timeouts.

The sooner entry to a banded tournament is based on your highest ever rating minus say 150/200 points the better.[/b]
Seconded.

a

Moves
10 Dec 07

There seems to be some sandbagging in the system. I'm in a sub-1100 tournament, and one of the other players is a 1500. Here's his profile:
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/197/profilehz4.gif

From his profile, the big ranking slide happened when he resigned a bunch of games. He was able to lower his ranking enough to get into the 0-1100 tournament. And now (surprise!) he's winning again and his ranking is back up to 1500.

Perhaps I'm just whining, but it seems like the ranking system should recognize that people don't get that bad that fast. Maybe instead of 100 days it should look back 200 days?

Moves
11 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Dutch Defense
[b]HELL NO! You should always finish a tournament that you entered, regardless of your rating. You're rating is what it is and you've been improving. Don't let your rating or other people make you drop out of a tournament you're in.[/b]
I agree, basically the person who wins a banded tourny is the person that has improved the most. Winning the tourny is basically a reward for improving faster then the opposition.

I have 3 coming tourny wins because of this. I was 1300 rated almost a year ago and now im winning all the tournaments that I enter at that time.

Tournament 1916
Tournament 1990
Tournament 2126

c

Moves
28 Dec 07

Originally posted by adramforall
I think it should be more of a case of [b]I know my true rating is 1700+ is it ethical to enter a 1300/1400 tourney just because my rating bummed after a heap of timeouts.

The sooner entry to a banded tournament is based on your highest ever rating minus say 150/200 points the better.[/b]
Howabout this guy, Adram ?

User 261696

prime example of why the banded tournaments ratings are flawed ...

guy enters low-rated tourney's and wins, and at same time enters others and times out loads of games, to enable him to enter new lower banded toutneys ... and so on ...

basically we have a guy who is highest rated at 1850, winning loads of 1200-1500 tourneys ....

The sooner the rules are changed to ensure that tournament rating can't drop to below, say, 100 below 'HIGHEST EVER' rating the better

SS

Moves
28 Dec 07
1 edit

P

Moves
28 Dec 07

I am now in the same position, I have about 4 or 5 tournaments from 1200-1400 that I made it into the second round a couple of months ago (2nd round still havent started in any of them) but my game has improved and my rating is now around 1400-1500 which of course looks quite bad, but when I entered these tournaments my rating was totally genuine,I was playing at the level my rating suggests so I shall continue my tournaments, besides, how many people go up and down a few hundred points regularly?

It may upset some but you shouldnt pull out if you did not deliberately lower your own rating to enter them, thats the only time people shouldnt be allowed really imo.

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
28 Dec 07

Originally posted by Pigface1
I am now in the same position, I have about 4 or 5 tournaments from 1200-1400 that I made it into the second round a couple of months ago (2nd round still havent started in any of them) but my game has improved and my rating is now around 1400-1500 which of course looks quite bad, but when I entered these tournaments my rating was totally genuine,I was play ...[text shortened]... lower your own rating to enter them, thats the only time people shouldnt be allowed really imo.
I'm in the same position as you Pigface, and my tournament win is in a band I'd not be able to enter again unless I deliberately lowered my rating. I've improved through practice and by switching my opening. I don't see any problem with this and I think there are few who would. It's a world away from deliberately scuppering the chances of players of lesser ability. Anyway I still lose more games than I'd like to admit to players rated 300 points below me and I've beaten someone rated 300 above so there's no guarantee that we will actually win these tournaments.

c

Moves
29 Dec 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Lukerik
I'm in the same position as you Pigface, and my tournament win is in a band I'd not be able to enter again unless I deliberately lowered my rating. I've improved through practice and by switching my opening. I don't see any problem with this and I think there are few who would. It's a world away from deliberately scuppering the chances of players of lesse one rated 300 above so there's no guarantee that we will actually win these tournaments.
Pigface1 & Lukerik ...

A quick look at your graphs tells me your not sandbagging to gain loads of cheap tourney wins

that this guy

User 261696

can abuse the tourney system so easily just re-inforces the fundamental flaw in the rating-entry process

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
30 Dec 07

Originally posted by cambridgeian
that this guy

User 261696

can abuse the tourney system so easily just re-inforces the fundamental flaw in the rating-entry process
In fairness, I think most of his abuse happened before the system changed.

Sandbagging might be an indication of engine use as well. I know the site admin don't do anything about sandbagging, but if somebody has the time to run games, then a more serious complaint could possibly be lodged.

D

c

100$ de l'heure.

Moves
30 Dec 07

Originally posted by MissOleum
Seconded.
Tripled