1. Standard memberDOlivier2004
    A Lost Bobby
    The Bermuda Triangle
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 12:15
    Originally posted by DOlivier2004
    This tourney still hasn't reached the 2nd round because meman and Northern Lad are having a dogfight to end all dogfights to see who goes through.

No comments on games in progress, please.
    Northern Lad has stuck it out long enough to see meman get banned! We can finally have a second round in this tourney!
  2. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 15:09
    Northern Lad has stuck it out long enough to see meman get banned! We can finally have a second round in this tourney!
    The annoying thing is that I resigned my game as black a couple of days before he was banned. My game as white was 124 moves old and still going strong. The engine Meman was using voluntarily went from Q+R v Q+N+2P to Q v Q+2P presumably because it "knew" that if the two pawns are a+b (or g+h) and his king covers the queening squares, it's a draw. I hadn't known this; it had long been considered a simple win until very recently when the silicon monsters lent a hand. I think John Nunn had an article in New in Chess not long ago outlining the endgames that chess machines had reevaluated.
    In my case, it didn't make any difference, since all I needed was a draw to progress. Sorry for holding things up, but I couldn't in all conscience not try to win when two pawns up even though I suspected I was playing against an engine.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 18:36
    The Final Round:

David Tebb 2283
    Northern Lad 2261
    Gatecrasher 2250
    XanthosNZ 1966
    Breslaw 1515 (Who appears to no longer be on the site)

Looks like I'll be getting some challenging games.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Feb '06 19:171 edit
    Bresalw has moved yesterday, so if he had been away he has returned (and will have some time to gain back all the rating points...)

EDIT: grammar and still not sure if I giot it right this time 🙁
  5. Standard memberDOlivier2004
    A Lost Bobby
    The Bermuda Triangle
    Moves
    01 Mar '06 09:26
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    The Final Round:

David Tebb 2283
    Northern Lad 2261
    Gatecrasher 2250
    XanthosNZ 1966
    Breslaw 1515 (Who appears to no longer be on the site)

Looks like I'll be getting some challenging games.
    The round has now ended as of March 1st, 2006. Good luck in the final, guys.
  6. Standard memberDOlivier2004
    A Lost Bobby
    The Bermuda Triangle
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 15:06
    The round has now ended as of March 1st, 2006. Good luck in the final, guys.
    ......aaaaand the final round has started.
  7. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 11:111 edit
    .....Breslaw 1515 (Who appears to no longer be on the site)....
    you wish .... Last Moved 12 hours and 40 minutes ago

unluckily for you you might just lose ALL your games here ... do not get me wrong ... i wish you luck and hope you get a draw or two ... and maybe even a win! 😉
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    08 Mar '06 23:33
    Originally posted by flexmore
    you wish .... Last Moved 12 hours and 40 minutes ago

unluckily for you you might just lose ALL your games here ... do not get me wrong ... i wish you luck and hope you get a draw or two ... and maybe even a win! 😉
    Nothing wrong with losing all my games against 2200+ opposition. In fact it's expected. However I will be devoting lots of time to these games because even if I don't win them I will still (I'm sure) learn a lot. Many people would love to be a position to face such opponents.
  9. Standard memberHegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    London
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 08:13
    The Lost Bobbys 2005 Tourney series is progressing well and the Searching for Bobby Fisher DVD prize certainly made for an interesting tournament.

Tourney 533 : 1800 - 2500
    Still in progress this is a fascinating tourney with some big players such as David Tebb, Northern Lad, Gatecrasher and of course XanthosNZ. Of course I won't comment on the games but I think this could be anyone's still.

Tourney 532 : 1500 - 1799
    Alik66 won this and has recieved the DVD

Tourney 531 : 1200 - 1499
    With only one game to go, Pateman will win this tourney. We will be in touch to send DVD.

Tourney 530 : < 1200
    Rambo71 won the tourney but since he was a Lost Bobby the prize was instead offered to second place winner Adamforall. He gratiously declined the prize and requested Rambo got the DVD anyway.
  10. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 10:31
    Many people would love to be a position to face such opponents.
    I'm amazed Skeeter never spotted this error...

Anyway - big well done to Pateman for winning the DVD in my band - I almost had my hands on it! Well done to Mike O'Connor too for a strong final round.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree