1. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 22:31
    Originally posted by Hegemon
    The Lost Bobby's first sponsored tourneys are accepting entries.
    Just because I am curious, who actually pays for the prizes? The clan probably is not generating any prize money. Are the individual members paying, or have you found a sponsor that will pay the prizes for you?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    05 Apr '05 23:55
    Originally posted by gumbie
    Why has the first banded sponsored tournament got such a ridiculously small max player limit the majority of players on the site are between 1200 and 1499 and only 30 can play?!?!? 🙁
    You think you are hard done by? I just recently creasted 1800 thanks to some games finishing in a bunch. That puts me into the 1800-2500 bracket with pretty much no realistic hope (I'm still entering) instead of the 1500-1799 bracket which I would have a chance in (and would get to play more games against equal rated people). Of course this also means as there aren't very many 1800+ players it'll be a while before it starts.

But oh well. Gift horse, mouth and all that rot.

Good on you Lost Bobby's and I look forward to the tourney.
  3. Standard memberDOlivier2004
    A Lost Bobby
    The Bermuda Triangle
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 08:11
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Just because I am curious, who actually pays for the prizes? The clan probably is not generating any prize money. Are the individual members paying, or have you found a sponsor that will pay the prizes for you?
    All the members are chipping in for the cost of the DVDs. It's pretty easy for me to collect money because most of us are on the same floor at work!
  4. Standard memberHegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    London
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 08:19
    Originally posted by Aiko
    The current Lost Bobby's members have volunteered to donate. Don't worry they are reliable. At least, my goon squad will help them to be reliable 🙂

5. Canada
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 08:50
    What a wonderful tourney, really strong groupings, i think ill win mine since im winning the tourney lol 😛😛😲😀😛🙂🙂🙂
  6. Standard memberDOlivier2004
    A Lost Bobby
    The Bermuda Triangle
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 13:24
    The current Lost Bobby's members have volunteered to donate. Don't worry they are reliable. At least, my goon squad will help them to be reliable 🙂

Ah yes. The goon squad. That will be me. Pay up, or I'll kick you out of the clan! ;-)
  7. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 13:491 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    You think you are hard done by? I just recently creasted 1800 thanks to some games finishing in a bunch. That puts me into the 1800-2500 bracket with pretty much no realistic hope (I'm still entering) instead of the 1500-1799 bracket whi ...[text shortened]... t.

if you dont want to get owned, you shouldnt join the tourney. 😉

you should try to hack someone who plays in the <1200.
  8. Internet
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 15:31
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    You think you are hard done by? I just recently creasted 1800 thanks to some games finishing in a bunch. That puts me into the 1800-2500 bracket with pretty much no realistic hope (I'm still entering) instead of the 1500-1799 bracket which I would have a chance in (and would get to play more games against equal rated people). Of course this also means as ...[text shortened]... t horse, mouth and all that rot.

Well, Jira entered the 1500-1799 (just like the Beta Banded 8x8 1400-1599) so not much chance there either. God I hope that some sort of rating-floor will be implemented to prevent these people from entering banded tourneys.
  9. Standard memberHegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    London
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 16:30
    All,

Are there any others besides Jira that are recovering from a bad series of timeouts to enable them to enter a low banded tourney?
  10. Standard memberHegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    London
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 16:35
    To clarify, I mean in this Lost Bobby's tourney. As i know it happens a lot.

This thread is not for discussion of the moral issues around this, I would just like to know if anyone has noticed any other player in THIS tourney.

The moral issues can be discussed on "neight's" thread
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=21481&page=1
  11. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    06 Apr '05 18:18
    Heg & co, thanks for the tournies. I've just entered.

But don't worry, since Ironman's in it, you won't have to cough up the shipping to South Africa... :'(
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 09:31
    To clarify, I mean in this Lost Bobby's tourney. As i know it happens a lot.

This thread is not for discussion of the moral issues around this, I would just like to know if anyone has noticed any other player in THIS tourney.

The moral issues can be discussed on "neight's" thread
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=21481&page=1
    In the <1200 tourney:

NicolaiS 1300-1400 until January.
    marcof2 1600 in November.

Those two stand out the most to me.
    Oh and the 4 provisionals (one of whom hasn't even played 5 games and who knows how good he is...).
  13. Standard memberHegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    London
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 10:35
    All,

I have politely requested that the relavent people withdraw from the tourney. Where the tourney has already started, I have requested the relavent people to at the least get the feedback of those that they are playing, and resign from the games if so requested.

I will not take it any further (even if I could), and I leave it up to their conscience.
  14. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 10:52
    Before anybody falls completly over me for entering a banded tournament <1200. My rating is indeed <1200 due to timeouts. before anybody makes asumptions about why that happened ... well ... its none of your business.

My rating in Januari was indeed about 1300-1400 ... and now its 935. My current level of play isn't 1300-1400 if you take the time to look at my most recent match: http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=1033612

Thats the reason why I joined a tournament <1200 ... my level of play isn't 1300-1400 but I hope that I will be able to play again at that level after a slow return to chess.

15. Standard memberHegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    London
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 12:02
    No more on this subject please.

Lets get to the tourney at hand

Good luck everyone.

cheers

hege

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree