The Peace On Earth Challenge

The Peace On Earth Challenge

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blunted

Hawaii

Moves
17 Feb 06

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
Roll on up for the "Peace on Earth" Challenge.

Open to all, even members of the Peace on Earth clan can enter (although I won't enter myself!).

3 day timeout. 21 day timebank. Groups of 6. No excuses for not entering!

2 nice prizes on offer. One to the winner. One awarded on merit.

Have Fun!
how is the elimination working? Is it one or two players (or more) from each grouping that advance?

Blunted

Hawaii

Moves
17 Feb 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
That's important. Write that down.
Writes down "that."

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
17 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Hawaiianhomegrown
how is the elimination working? Is it one or two players (or more) from each grouping that advance?
Top player advances. So 216 drops to 36 in the second round, which is 6 groups of 6, which should give 6 players for the final. Now that I think of it, it's all quite devillish, Really!

Of course there is likely to be several groups where 2 or more players advance to the next round if they finish joint first, scoring the same number of points in the group.

The winner of the merit prize doesn't necessarily have to advance to round two or be in the final. So just do your very best!

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
17 Feb 06
1 edit

Are the prizes a choice between the latest editions of the single processor versions or are the multiprocessors versions options too?

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
17 Feb 06

Are the prizes a choice between the latest editions of the single processor versions or are the multiprocessors versions options too?
What am I? Rockafella? Latest editions of the standard versions, which is +-$50 per prize.

I guess if the winner(s) could find a way to reimburse me the difference, I could get them the deep versions. If not, it may be possible to upgrade from the standard to deep versions after they've received the prize.

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
17 Feb 06

What am I? Rockafella? Latest editions of the standard versions, which is +-$50 per prize.

I guess if the winner(s) could find a way to reimburse me the difference, I could get them the deep versions. If not, it may be possible to upgrade from the standard to deep versions after they've received the prize.
What's the difference between them?

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
17 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Freddie2006
What's the difference between them?
I hope I've got all this right...

Some PC's have more than one processor. For example, I have an AMD64x2 which has two processors. Some have only one processor but use hyper-threading to split the processor into two or more virtual processors. The standard editions will compute using one of the processors only, while the deep versions will use all processors simultaneously. Also, some of the deep versions are cable of running in 64 bit mode, which gives a further computing boost over the standard 32 bit versions.

So provided you have some serious hardware to complement it, the multi-processor vesions will analyze far deeper than the standard versions in the same amount of time.

Oh, and the price difference is plus minus another $50.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
19 Feb 06

Fair enough. There is no way to upgrade between the single and multiprocessor versions however.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
19 Feb 06

Fair enough. There is no way to upgrade between the single and multiprocessor versions however.
You can on Shredder, but only if you buy directly from ShredderChess. Anyway, I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

I've been mad busy this week and haven't had to time to comment on the tournament so far. I'll do that in the next few days.

If anyone has completed a game they are proud of, give a link, and tell us about it...

F
9 Edits

London

Moves
20 Feb 06

You can on Shredder, but only if you buy directly from ShredderChess. Anyway, I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

I've been mad busy this week and haven't had to time to comment on the tournament so far. I'll do that in the next few days.

If anyone has completed a game they are proud of, give a link, and tell us about it...
I suppose I better start it off 😛

Game 1810769

I'm not sure this would be a game everyone would be proud of but I certainly enjoyed it. My opponent and I were closely matched and this led to a close game which I think both sides found to be good fun and somewhat of a learning curve.

By move 9 I felt confidant in my position; I had already developed all of my pieces whereas my opponent had only developed one as well as having an isolated pawn; which I think is a bad thing?

Anyway between 9 and 17 we exchanged some of our pieces but I still felt I had a good grip on the game; I had now developed both of my rooks and queen and had by king protected by castling whereas white had done none of these. My queen was also in a strong position and had the choice of taking one of whites pawns.

Move 21: white failed to notice that he couldn't take my rook if I put him in check with 21...Rxd5. I felt I capitalised well on his mistake and proceeded to thoughourly toughen him up 😛

The rest was relativly elementary and he resigned because he thought it was mate and didn't realise he could take my pawn.

I guess I'm quite proud of how I exploited weaknesses etc... then again, I guess if I had a new version of Fritz I could analyse where I went wrong better 😉

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
22 Feb 06
1 edit

Not too much to report yet. No major upsets, but there have been several minor ones:

In Group 4, both Daemon Sin (1351) and CK (1445) beat Jansax (1561) Game 1810124 and Game 1810131

In Group 8 Pantazi (1432) beat steppenwolf (1675) Game 1810254

In Group 10 macca (1242) twice beat Loose Screw (1333) Game 1810294 and Game 1810311

In Group 24 inukjuak (1427) beat Sicillian Smaug (1629) Game 1810722

In an upset of sorts: The chance of tladd progressing to the next round was given a major boost in Group 2 with meman being banned for engine abuse.

The most active player so far is dsarge30 who has virtually wrapped up Group 20 with 8 wins, no losses.

Any comments (on completed games) most welcome.

z

Moves
23 Feb 06

In group 11 Galaxyshield drew Klaus Behrmann - Less of an upset since Galaxy just went through a rash of timeouts...

In group 20 sardodos defeated Chavvie

In group 26 gianfrancolevati defeated Bobski

In group 29 both deeply satisfied and zukez defeated Marko Krale

In group 30 caissa100 defeated Pauline Calf

In group 33 TimmyToilet drew EddyH

In group 34 Tukumnieks drew ouroboros

In group 35 rpines defeated cantspell

SPS CLAN

Wales

Moves
24 Feb 06

Game 1811069

Also thought this would be a good game aswell

z

Moves
24 Feb 06

Originally posted by smiffy
Game 1811069

Also thought this would be a good game aswell
Wow someone should figure out what percentage of the first 20 moves were made by knights. congrats.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
25 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by zebano
Wow someone should figure out what percentage of the first 20 moves were made by knights. congrats.
18/40 = 0,45 which means 45% or roughly half of moves....if you count a pair of moves

otherwise

10/20 or exactly 50% if you count each move of each colour, which is less customary but has a more logic look to it 🙂