16 Dec '06 19:431 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Yeah I was just kidding
  2. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 06:50
    The grob tourney has attracted more players more quickly than any other opening .....

this must be a sign that this is really the best opening ( and that kasparov, kramnik and akizy don't really know anything about good chessπŸ˜‰ )
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Dec '06 21:332 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 10:15
    125 players entered already, just 3 more and its off.

and yes, its great for surprise wins OTB against higher rated players although you do need to prepare more to catch them out but most just don't bother with the opening.

I haven't played it OTB for 20 years although back then got some good wins. My games here were in fact the first since 1986 but I do have 3 books on the opening and that is probably all that have ever been published. Against EveRyDay do I win with white, or black. If the Grob is good I win with white and if bad I win with black.

I am preparing some surprises as black and expect the sharper lines as white is all I can say.
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 11:31

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 11:361 edit
    Pity. I have had to withdraw from the Muzio for the same reason.

but there is still 125 entrants so off any day now.

Didn't want to enter any more with all the round 2s coming up but feel the grob is a must enter for me.
  7. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 17:191 edit
    Starting soon. Now 127 entrants!

Only 1 space to go. Take it while you can.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 18:57
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Starting soon. Now 127 entrants!

Only 1 space to go. Take it while you can.
    just did πŸ™‚

anyone know of a site that gives the theory behind the opening? i couldn't find anything i found that useful.
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 19:135 edits
    Originally posted by trevor33
    just did πŸ™‚

anyone know of a site that gives the theory behind the opening? i couldn't find anything i found that useful.
    I don't know about any online resources but I'm sure someone does.

I have 3 books on the opening

The Tactical Grob - Bloodgood;
    The Killer Grob - Basman; and
    Grobs Attack - Wall

I believe all are IMs.

Victims who have lost to the Grob include GM John Nunn Oxford, 1978, Speelman British Championship, 1980, Plaskett Cambridge Open 1981, Hebden Borehamwood, 1981, Arkell British Championship, 1986, Pritchett British Championship, 1986. GM Tony Miles faced it Manchester, 1981 but won in 22 moves whereas Keene won in 23 moves in the same tournament.

The main line is perhaps 1. g4 .. d5; 2. Bg2 .. BXP accepting the gambit but 2. .. e5 and 2. .. c6 are also common alternatives. Black also does not need to play 1. .. d5 and virtually any pawn or knight move is playable.

Bloodgood is a major player with a number of victories against strong opposition. See http://www.chessville.com/misc/History/PastPawns/LifeandLegendofClaudeFBloodgood.htm

Bloodgood, Claude (1937- )
    Author of The Tactical Grob. Once the 29th highest USCF ranked OTB player in the country, he was sentenced to death for killing his mother. While on death row, he played over 1200 postal games. The postage was paid by the State of Virginia. He was scheduled for execution 6 times, but received a reprieve on all occasions. His death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment and the state stopped paying postage. He was allowed to play in OTB chess tournaments, accompanied by a guard. In one event, he escaped for several weeks after he and another chessplayer overpowered the guard. When he was recaptured after several weeks at large, his correspondence privelege was taken away from him at Virginia State Penitentiary.

Henry Grob whilst not the first person to play this opening is the Swiss IM after whom it is now named
    see http://www.angelfire.com/nf/chess/Grob.html

although earlier Ahlhausen (1835-1892) had played it and Tartakower (1887-1956) played it in simultaneous games calling it the Genoa or San Pier D'Arena. In the Czech Republic it is known as Frics Opening whereas in some parts of the world it is known as Kolibris Opening.

More recently Basman (ELO 2350-2400), Skembris (ELO 2400-2450) and Welling (ELO 2350-2400) (All ELOs quoted from late 1980s when they actively played this opening) had considerable success with it.

Some people here on RHP mock it but this has been one of the fastest themed tournaments to fill up and I am certain there will be some interesting games and a few will come away with a new weapon in their armoury.

Finally a few more resources I just found
    Part 1
    http://chesscoach1977.blogspot.com/2006/06/chess-understanding-grobs-attack-part.html; and
    Part 2
    http://chesscoach1977.blogspot.com/2006/08/chess-understanding-grobs-attack-part.html
  10. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 20:49
    There doesnt seem to be any commentary with those links, did I miss something?
  11. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 21:21
    Generally the best way to defeat the grob is use the Keene Defense:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1026281
  12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 23:021 edit
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    There doesnt seem to be any commentary with those links, did I miss something?
    I hope not. I copied and pasted them but I am sure there is plenty more out there.

Keene (as stated in my previous post) did beat the Grob, but we all need to play this as black and white and I'm not certain it will prove to be totally busted.

Edit: Whilst we've all been chatting and doing our research someone withdrew so you lucky fellows theres a spare slot. Don't miss this chance!
  13. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 10:52
    Losing players as it took so long to start. Down to 126 now but still only 2 slots so get in there for a really "fun" tournament.
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 12:09
    I'm in for a giggle.
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 12:28
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    I'm in for a giggle.
    Thats graet. Its back to 128 now so hopefully will kick off soon.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree