1. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 17:52
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    What would you suggest to sort it out?
    That is the problem, unscrupulous leaders will always win out as the lax leaders do not research the challenge on offer and the site can't impose limits on matchups.
    If 2 leaders are willing to set up a lopsided challenge then the site should not stop the match.
    This in effect makes it impossible to police and leaves the door open to the unscrupulous leaders with fair minded leaders suffering as a consequence.

Reality dictates that fair challenges overall give a 50/50 result therefore if the entire tables were fair we would have all clans tied for first place 🙁
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 22:09
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    What would you suggest to sort it out?
    Thread 134791

Page 2 post 12 by myself is a possible idea to sort the dodgy challenges
  3. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    14 Oct '10 02:54
    I also must say that not having the all time stats with win/loss/draws takes away alot of good work I and our clan have done over the last five years.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Oct '10 01:37
    Originally posted by Russ

The other significant change is that games must be played beyond move 8 if a draw is to result in any points being allocated.
    So 9 moves and the draw is legit, for points?

I don't think that is high enough. Lets get at least up into the 20's with that one.

I would prefer over 30 moves, which would cut down on pre-arranged draws.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 19:33
    I am a relative newcomer to the site so I may be talking rubbish, or repeating things which have been done over the years but here goes:
    1.Surely the most important part of a clan challenge is to win it? The stats can be displayed in order of "games won" which is the one I would use.
    2.Could not the "draw" issue be resolved by changing the scoring system? I.e a 6 all draw resulting in 3 points for each clan (not 6)?I realise this would introduce half points, but that is how chess works in the actual world.
    Sorry to waffle on,but none of my opponents are online at the moment, And the missus is watching the silly "x" factor!!- Think I'll go to the pub
  6. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    19 Oct '10 06:07
    Originally posted by venda
    I am a relative newcomer to the site so I may be talking rubbish, or repeating things which have been done over the years but here goes:
    1.Surely the most important part of a clan challenge is to win it? The stats can be displayed in order of "games won" which is the one I would use.
    2.Could not the "draw" issue be resolved by changing the scoring system? I. ...[text shortened]... t the moment, And the missus is watching the silly "x" factor!!- Think I'll go to the pub
    you made a lot of sense. be forwarned that this type of behavior is not tolerated and makes you subject to a warning and possibly removal
  7. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    20 Oct '10 15:11
    Originally posted by Russ
    The series of consultation votes last month illustrated how closely opinion was divided on some of the proposed changes to the clan tables, so we are not expecting everyone to warm to the updates.

What we do have now is a table focusing on annual position using net points as the default table view, rather than the gross wins from the start of time we had b ...[text shortened]... is that games must be played beyond move 8 if a draw is to result in any points being allocated.
    This sucks. I agreed to have clans listed by yearly net points on the clan pages but all the other changes stink. This site needs to quit making all these changes, and most are for the worse.
  8. Standard memberKJCavalier
    Happier Now!!
    Home!!
    Moves
    20 Oct '10 16:591 edit
    Since I was a BIG player in helping make changes, here goes my thoughts on it. I have said from the onset that I believe that the current ranking system should at the very least have a link to go back to show all time points. With that being said, What has been arranged is an improvement over what was simply due to the fact that all clans will have a shot at taking first each and every year.

The draw situation: simply put, to create "preplanned" draws at 8 moves, would cost each participant its own rating, since all ratings are effected after only 3 moves. While there may be some who want to effect their personal rating for this, there are not enough to make cheating the system a viable move. 8 moves should be more than enough.

I have yet to see an oversight team developed (yes another MOD team). It may be still prove to be necessary.

As for challenges, well we could force them down to only match like rated players, but this really takes away from those who want to do creative challenges. It will also eliminate the ability to set up full clan challenges, as these were fun for a number of clans. (The original mega challenge). It is very difficult to find 2 clans with the same amount of players, all with the same ratings, but rather easy to find clans with similar average ratings but many players inside it with very different ratings.

As these are the big changes that were really looked for, I'd say it was a good job for what has been implemented, and hope to see the tweaks go in soon. The only thing that should have been effected are the all time points, and was shown won easily.
  9. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    20 Oct '10 22:36
    Originally posted by KJCavalier
    Since I was a BIG player in helping make changes, here goes my thoughts on it. I have said from the onset that I believe that the current ranking system should at the very least have a link to go back to show all time points. With that being said, What has been arranged is an improvement over what was simply due to the fact that all clans will have a shot ...[text shortened]... only thing that should have been effected are the all time points, and was shown won easily.
    Any of these changes made or proposed do not take into account the deliberate reduction in rating by means of resigning games within a challenge as the outcome has already been determined.
    This in effect permenantly keeps players in these clans at a rating far below their ability thereby giving an elusion of fair challenges.
  10. Bristol, UK
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 08:22
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Any of these changes made or proposed do not take into account the deliberate reduction in rating by means of resigning games within a challenge as the outcome has already been determined.
    Even if it was possible to fix that for clan games then those same players would enter tournaments and resign those games early. The effect on their rating for clan match-ups is the same.

It doesn't matter how many moves have to be played out. If a player resigns a winning position you'll only pick that up by having human eyes look at the game (the winner is hardly likely to raise the alert). But who's to judge why a player resigns? Maybe they are struggling with their gameload...pressure at work means they know they won't be able to play a game out and so resign as a courtesy...who's to say?

We know it happens but it's impossible to police.
  11. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 11:44
    Originally posted by Gixxer
    Even if it was possible to fix that for clan games then those same players would enter tournaments and resign those games early. The effect on their rating for clan match-ups is the same.

It doesn't matter how many moves have to be played out. If a player resigns a winning position you'll only pick that up by having human eyes look at the game (the ...[text shortened]... resign as a courtesy...who's to say?

We know it happens but it's impossible to police.
    Thread 130155 makes its possible to police.

It penalises those whose rating has collapsed below their normal ability.

It stops clans benefitting from easy points been won by higher rated players playing well below their ability.
  12. Farnborough
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 11:50
    Most of you know how I feel about the changes and how it has helped the clans who have manipulated the challenges in their favour. Using a net figure will ensure this goes on. Of course it will be harder to manipulate, as Russ has made a few changes, but I am sure some clan leaders will find a way. Any clan who features in the top section will try their best to stay there, but with net results being the method used I expect some will do their best to get imbalanced challenges in their favour. Challenges based on average last year figures would help clan leaders spot imbalanced challenges, but will that ever happen? It doesn't look like it. 🙁
  13. Farnborough
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 11:55
    Oh, and one more thing. Net figures could mean a one or two man clan could go top! And that would be daft. Gross would stop this. Or clans should be a minimum number of players, say 10.
  14. Bristol, UK
    Moves
    21 Oct '10 12:151 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Thread 130155 makes its possible to police.
    You would only replace one flawed system with another, and all I need to do to break it is ensure that my rating was always below where it should be. As I win clan games and my rating gets closer to it's true level, I sign up for an octet tournament and resign the games early.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 04:291 edit
    The draw situation: simply put, to create "preplanned" draws at 8 moves, would cost each participant its own rating, since all ratings are effected after only 3 moves. While there may be some who want to effect their personal rating for this, there are not enough to make cheating the system a viable move. 8 moves should be more than enough.

You may find those who agree to draws at move 9 to be OK, I do not. 8 moves certainly is not enough to stop pre-arranged draws! It is quite obvious in Tournaments & Clan games when this is done, certainly changes the results in both.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree