1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 22:41
    @wolfe63 said
    This is not a "Donations Only" site.
    I do not believe that subscribers should be rendered to mere donor status.

It's fair and good business for non-subscribers to have access. It's fair that they can play chess for free and may post in the forums. But it's not fair that they become habitually abusive and taunting while others are paying the bills.

Ultimately, it's abo ...[text shortened]... tutions. Additionally, by doing so, I am not excluding others' their right to choose lesser options.
    Ads bring in money, If everyone subscribed there’s be no ads. Non-subs get 12 games and that’s it, I don’t think the forums should have any subscriber only features. If someone calls you a stupid cracker, you’d want to alert that.
  2. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 22:45
    Don't you need to click on ads for revenue?

Nobody clicks on ads.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 22:47
    No, just by being there they generate revenue.
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 22:49
    @no1marauder said
    I see you holding your breath until you turn blue, not any "obvious flaw".

If you pay for something, it has value for you. You would tend to keep the value of the thing as high as possible to get your money's worth.

There's no countervailing incentive for someone using a site for free. If they thought the site was valuable, they'd pay for it.

Limiting subs post ...[text shortened]... eally thought unlimited posting here had worth.

It's good economics not to encourage free riders.
    I'd like to see a $20 per year plan here that simply unlocks all forum privileges, and nothing else. No extra chess games, no tournaments, etc. I'd readily pay for that.
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 22:52
    @uglytoproll said
    Don't you need to click on ads for revenue?

Nobody clicks on ads.
    It's the same principle as other advertising, such as TV commercials or billboards. You pay for access to eyes and ears, nothing more.
  6. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 22:52
    @trev33 said
    No, just by being there they generate revenue.
    Live and learn I guess.

I want this site to succeed, always have.
    That is why I buy multi memberships.
    When small sites started to close due to chess.com I got angry.
  7. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 22:53
    @soothfast said
    I'd like to see a $20 per year plan here that simply unlocks all forum privileges, and nothing else. No extra chess games, no tournaments, etc. I'd readily pay for that.
    You haven't paid for shyt...enemy.
  8. RSA
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 22:581 edit
    @no1marauder said

If you pay for something, it has value for you. You would tend to keep the value of the thing as high as possible to get your money's worth.

There's no countervailing incentive for someone using a site for free. If they thought the site was valuable, they'd pay for it.

Limiting subs post ...[text shortened]... eally thought unlimited posting here had worth.

So you have no point. Good to know.

The whole point of your idea to limit non-subs was to act as a natural filtration mechanism to prevent overwork of the mods re banning and moderation. In order for banning of subs to be any kind of deterrent (i.e. be effective at changing behaviour due to the risk of loss), there would have to be enough banning to set a precedent. In other words, they would have to invest more anyway, at which point the whole sub/non-sub thing becomes pointless - they have the resources to moderate on an individual basis. That's not to mention that any deterring effect that had would have to counteract the sense of confidence that subscribers get from the knowledge that banning them is a financial loss to the site, which non-subs do not get.
  9. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 23:02
    Ashiitaka and No1 going at it.

Love it 🤗
  10. RSA
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 23:081 edit
    @no1marauder said

Limiting subs posting would give them an incentive to pony up if they really thought unlimited posting here had worth.

Ahh, so now you are pivoting away from your evident belief that discriminating against non-subs would improve the quality of the forum (it wouldn't) and instead are saying that everyone should have to pay. I'm sure the site managers know their model better than you do, and that there exists a non-sub option for a reason. And there's no reason to believe that trying to force people into paying would actually lead to a positive outcome for the site - how many people would they lose once the forums (the self-described "heart of the community" ) started becoming depopulated because of absurd and illogical posting rules?
  11. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 00:01
    A recess for the warriors...
    To be continued...
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 00:52
    @no1marauder said

I was a sub to this site for almost a decade between 2008 and about 2016.

I canceled my sub when my interest in chess waned. If and when it comes back, I'll consider re-subscribing.

Self-serving though it may sound, it's clearly in the best interest of RHP to keep people like me as part of the community.

I'd sub for the benefit of a better chess experience. But to sub for better posting rights? I don't think so. If the site made it not worthwhile for non-subs, I'd simply find another of the 12 zillion message boards out there and be less likely to sub if my chess interest every strengthens.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 01:121 edit
    @russ said
    When it returns, the process for alerting posts will be improved and open to all, rather than just subscribers.

I would encourage all to alert posts that they find objectionable when it returns.
    Seems like censorship to me. What is objectionable is a matter of opinion. What is the criteria for objectionable? I'm sure you could find at least one person that found my "Lying Fauci" thread objectionable because of partisan leanings alone. Despite the fact that I voted for Jill Stein rather than Trump I was falsely accused of being a Trumpite or some other weird term. I have never been a Trump supporter. As soon as I found out he picked Pence as his Veep I knew he was told who to pick just like Obama was told to pick Biden, the guy who overtly said he would resort to a constitutional amendment to end busing.

Why is the debates forum suspended? Poor taste has been there forever. Why now?

https://www.citadelpoliticss.com/exclusive-robert-f-kennedy-jr-drops-bombshells-on-dr-fauci-for-medical-cover-ups-and-fraud/

Why have RFK jr.'s allegations been ignored by the corporate news media? They are very serious allegations. Is RFK jr. right or wrong?

Don't we all deserve the answer? If it is true we need to know. If it is not true we need to know RFK jr. is wrong. This at least deserved mention and a fact check. Why didn't we get that? Why are we still not getting that?
  14. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 01:25
    I would like to see a three-strike rule.
    three flags gives you a 3-day suspension. Reset the flag counter.

Suspensions may increase for the habitual offender and/or the severity of the transgression(s)

This way you don't lose customers via the BAN
  15. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    03 Jul '20 01:271 edit
    @Earl-of-Trumps

Who decides?
    A leftist?
    They ignore facts to save face lest they be called racist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree