1. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 04:23
    Originally posted by Chris
    We've just put up an initial version of the new Games Explorer.

It is not yet available from a link on the site but can be accessed via

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer

It is populated with games up until the start of November 2006 and about 200,000 Grandmaster games. It also has personal databases for all subscribers (also including all their ...[text shortened]... ttention should it show itself to be something that people would like to use.

Thanks,
    Chris
    This is fantastic! Thanks to all who helped make this happen!
  2. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 07:04
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    This is fantastic! Thanks to all who helped make this happen!
    Fabulous! What a great dimension to an already brilliant site.
  3. U.S.A.
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 20:101 edit
    oohh soo cool! 🙂
    Now i can find out how the experts play my favorite openings and maybe can learn a few tricks. heh,heh. 🙂
  4. U.S.A.
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 20:113 edits
    I just finished visiting there and love the layout and stuff but was confused about finding all the games there, though.
    For example, when i pick the opening 1.c4 1. e5, 2. g3 and it says "37 games have progressed beyond this position" but it only shows 3 ? Does anyone know how i can find those other 34 games? Is this because i'm an nonsubscriber and only subscribers can see all the games?

-- Paul (Pavlo87)
  5. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 21:072 edits
    Originally posted by Pavlo87
    I just finished visiting there and love the layout and stuff but was confused about finding all the games there, though.
    For example, when i pick the opening 1.c4 1. e5, 2. g3 and it says "37 games have progressed beyond this position" but it only shows 3 ? Does anyone know how i can find those other 34 games? Is this because i'm an nonsubscriber and only subscribers can see all the games?

-- Paul (Pavlo87)
    I don't think so. It only shows individual games when they are the only examples of a particular move in the position.

For instance in the 1400+ database, if you look at 1.e2 e5, there are over 47,000 games in that line. The main move 2.Nf3 was played in 35,809 games. The next most popular move 2.Bc4 was played in 3,635 games.

However at the bottom of the list several strange moves have been played: For instance 2.a4 has been played in 6 games. 2.g4 in 3 games. 2.Qe2 and 2.b4 have each been played twice.

Finally there are 2 moves that have only been played once: 2.Na3 and 2.Qg4. These are the games which are shown at the bottom of the screen.

If you want to browse through the database just click on any of the listed moves. You should be able to keep going forward until there are no more games in a particular line. Also there's a button to go back a move.

I'm assuming that the basic features work for non-subscribers in the same way that it does for subscribers. Have any one else experienced problems using this?
  6. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 21:172 edits
    ... pick the opening 1.c4 1. e5, 2. g3 and it says "37 games have progressed beyond this position" but it only shows 3...
    I don't know.

When I tried these moves I had to switch to the "1900+" tab to see a similar message, "37 games between players rated 1900 or over have progressed beyond this position", and above that message I saw this broken down as 20 games with Nf6, 6 with Nc6, and so on.

What was the exact wording of your "37 games" message? What was displayed above it?

Anyone?

Edit: I must learn to type my posts into the "post" box and not the "previous post" box.
  7. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    10 Dec '06 22:36
    Fantastico, Chris! A great feature. Especially for researching your performance in various openings and, of course, the performance of your opponents.

I agree with David Tebb. Rather include the engine user games.

In the 1400+, 1900+ rated sections, does this filter on the current rating, or the ratings at the time the game was completed?

I find I only have 644 games listed out of about a 1000. For what reason other than banned players and less than 5 moves would games be excluded?
  8. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 02:44

It is populated with games up until the start of November 2006 and about 200,000 Grandmaster games. It also has personal databases for all subscribers (also including all their ...[text shortened]... ttention should it show itself to be something that people would like to use.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Only now I see this post..........

The feature is excellent, you guys are doing a great job!
  9. Jerusalem
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 08:23

Thanks,
    Chris
    Thank u!🙄
  10. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 14:00
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Chris, who would see any written notes?
    The notes can be seen by anyone. There is a rating system, and any notes with an average rating that is below a certain threshold will be hidden by default for casual viewers (those not logged in). Logged in viewers will be able to set a preference as to the average rating a note needs to achieve in order to be visible.
  11. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 14:03
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    Any particular reason that the search is done using a move list rather than by FEN? I would assume that using the move list is why thematic tournaments are excluded?
    Behind the scenes it's all based on FENs, so two positions reached via a different order of moves will both be considered the same, but it was felt easier to allow people to enter a position by entering a series of moves.
  12. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 14:04
    Originally posted by more guinness
    Chris,
    I've just subscribed within the past week. Is there a way to get one's past games (played as a non-subscriber) added?
    Thanks,
    mg
    The games included at the present time are those completed as of the beginning of November. We will be updating the database regularly starting at some point in the new year.
  13. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 14:09

-- Paul (Pavlo87)
    Although there are 37 games that reached that position, the only games you can access via the explorer are those where the next move was unique. Where there is a move that was used in more than one game, that game will be discovered as soon as it becomes unique in the tree.
  14. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 14:37
    Absolutely amazing! Were I not subscribed, this would force me to pony up $30 😵

My only questions are about the ratings...

1. I assume the RHP 1400+/1900+ excludes master games.
    2. Are my games included at my current rating? or my rating when I finished the game? I honestly believe you will see a marked differnce between what I played when I started here, and what I play now?
    Note that this won't make a differnce yet as my first non-provisional rating and current rating are both between 1400 and 1900, but I intend to break that barrier.
  15. Joined
    18 Jun '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 02:28
    Awesome stuff!!!

It keeps getting better and better😲😲😲

Thanks!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree