1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 10:38
    We hit a problem yesterday which took us completely by surprise. We did not have a database failure in the normal sense, but the problems were database related, caused mainly by the vast amount of data we now retain, for games in particular.

For well over 12 hours each move made was not being archived. This has resulted in incomplete/corrupt PGNs and game logs (game history, analyze board) for all games that had a move made during the period leading up to the outage.

This is the first real data loss incident we have had in 7 years of operation, so it is a little disappointing for us.

So, what are we going to do about it?

Well, as you are probably aware by now, game play itself is not affected by this problem. (There could be an issue claiming a 3 move repetition draw though).

So, for those who are concerned about the incomplete PGNs we will produce a tool that will allow any missing moves to be recorded manually once the game is complete. (The feasibility of this needs to be confirmed before we guarantee this will happen) This should be available within 2 or 3 days.

-Russ
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 10:50
    Originally posted by Russ
    We hit a problem yesterday which took us completely by surprise. We did not have a database failure in the normal sense, but the problems were database related, caused mainly by the vast amount of data we now retain, for games in particular.

For well over 12 hours each move made was not being archived. This has resulted in incomplete/corrupt PGNs and gam ...[text shortened]... d before we guarantee this will happen) This should be available within 2 or 3 days.

-Russ
    Thank you, Russ.

I think we all know that you do and you've done everything you can by solving the problem. Things happen. This is not a nuclear plant. We have to deal with it. Life goes on.

We look forward to the tool.
  3. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 11:10

For well over 12 hours each move made was not being archived. This has resulted in incomplete/corrupt PGNs and gam ...[text shortened]... d before we guarantee this will happen) This should be available within 2 or 3 days.

-Russ
    This outage has made me all the more confident in RHP as the best chess site on the web. Now I know that if there is a big problem it will be dealt with as best as possible, and as soon as possible. It has put to ease all my what ifs about the site. 🙂 Great job RHP.
  4. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 11:37
    It was a plot perpetrated by terrorist and aprroved by the republican Party meant to destroy the competition and to gain control of all the oil. We all need to stand up in support of RHP and waive our flags.
  5. Wat?
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 11:38
    Is this corruption anything to do with the moron who kept spamming?

Has he been blocked from spamming the site?

-M
  6. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 11:47
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Is this corruption anything to do with the moron who kept spamming?

Has he been blocked from spamming the site?

-M
    I've already explained it, don't be silly.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 12:09

-Russ
    Why not just keep only one year or so of game history and let players download older games to their own computer ?
  8. Standard memberTychoo
    F**k the EU, IMF,WB
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 12:11
    Is it necessary to retain so much data? Can you not set a limit of say three years to store games and then simply delete. I personally store my own games that I have an interest in. The rest can go cyber heaven.
  9. Standard memberTychoo
    F**k the EU, IMF,WB
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 12:12
    Looks like some beat me to it!🙂
  10. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 12:18
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    It was a plot perpetrated by terrorist and aprroved by the republican Party meant to destroy the competition and to gain control of all the oil. We all need to stand up in support of RHP and waive our flags.
    I thought so. Damn terrorists and republicans. My flag is waving. Go RHP. 🙂
  11. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 12:24
    to delete abandoned accounts (let's say, no move for a year) would free a lot of space with no harm to actual users.
  12. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 13:212 edits
    What does this mean for RHP's openings database, assuming it will be updated?
  13. Joined
    05 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 14:28
    Oh, I was absent for a year doing work abroad with no Internet access. I would not have appreciated being deleted.
  14. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 15:11

-Russ
    This is a perfect example of the consequences of success! An interesting benchmark that signifies an excellent business model.
  15. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 15:13
    Originally posted by monteirof
    to delete abandoned accounts (let's say, no move for a year) would free a lot of space with no harm to actual users.
    Nah some people who played those people would still want their history.

I like the download idea.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree