1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 15:18
    I won a game some minutes ago, and to my delight the PGN-file was complete! I thought anyway. Until I took a closer look at the game.

It's about Game 4532104. The game and its finesses, or lack of it, is not interesting here.

But there are som moves that are rather amusing indeed. Like the 31th move Ne5xe3 and perhaps a few more.

What I want to say is - The PGNs are not reliable.
  2. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 15:47
    Don't know if this is very relevent, but in one of my games, in the message log, my latest message is not there, and their reply is now where mine should be; they are going to be out of sink now...
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I won a game some minutes ago, and to my delight the PGN-file was complete! I thought anyway. Until I took a closer look at the game.

It's about Game 4532104. The game and its finesses, or lack of it, is not interesting here.

But there are som moves that are rather amusing indeed. Like the 31th move Ne5xe3 and perhaps a few more.

I like white Knight on e3 captures white Bishop on b3.
  4. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 17:20
    Yeah, my clanmate has a corrupted game history that says pawn on g3 moves to g6. A rule for random changes in how the pieces move would make for an interesting game! 😛
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 17:31
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Yeah, my clanmate has a corrupted game history that says pawn on g3 moves to g6. A rule for random changes in how the pieces move would make for an interesting game! 😛
    Is this an example of Fischer Random? Or perhaps only Fabian Random?
  6. Warszawa
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 18:41
    Some other chess site offers the game, in which with some probability (~ once every 3-4 moves) your intended move is replaced with randomly selected other correct move. But even there the substituted move is correct....

(not very playable, btw, although a fun to try once or twice)

Returning to the main subject: pgnscid from scid package is an excellent tool to "batch-verify" PGN files completeness (it can be used as "pgn compiler"😉. It may be easy to use tool to ensure patched PGNs are correct and to detect incorrect PGNs (you call pgnscid blah.pgn, check whether there is blah.err and are done)
  7. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 19:321 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    We hit a problem yesterday which took us completely by surprise. We did not have a database failure in the normal sense, but the problems were database related, caused mainly by the vast amount of data we now retain, for games in particular. . . .
    I recently noticed games as old as three years still existing in the system with the status of "in progress" -- these were games which had never progressed beyond the first couple moves but had never been deleted by the system after the timeout+timebank period elapsed. Presumably there are even older examples and I infer that since 2001 all such games by casual/temporary users have been accumulating. (There are a lot of cases, I'm sure, where someone joins only briefly and then abandons their account.) This could cause certain variables to exceed their expected limits (as represented by the variable size (max value) assigned to them initially), and this in turn could cause an overflow resulting in a stack error; and since the stack is shared by various system processes this could have repercussions elsewhere in the system.

Perhaps this is merely speculative, but I thought I would mention it here.
  8. UK
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 19:41
    If only it could have selectively lost all my poor moves 😉

I was impressed by the way that there was actually an outage screen up explaining why the site was not available. In a lot of places you do not get that.

Good job.
  9. Joined
    29 Mar '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 20:04
    Thanks, Russ.

As of this morning (Eastern Time, USA), the problem subsisted. However, the important thing is that you know about it and are doing something about it, two or three more days.

Thanks again,

Pecueca

apaezsr@aol.com
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 20:14
    Russ:

Thanks for you reply. Just knowing that you have aknowledged the problem and are doing something about is very comforting. Pleae let me know of the time-frame of 2 or 3 days will be longer.

Thanks,

Pecueca

apaezsr@aol.com
  11. Joined
    05 Apr '04
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 20:46

Lol - I've got a game where black takes his own queen with his rook....if only
  12. At Diamond Joe's
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 20:481 edit
    Hey Russ....

I just noticed something odd.....

When a piece of mine is captured it is not showing me on my me screen that a piece was taken like it used to show me.

This is on the main game screen.
  13. Joined
    03 Mar '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 21:36

HAHAHAHA
  14. Joined
    03 Jun '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 22:312 edits
    Game 4462847

These are the last movies
    from generated PGN: 15. Bd3b1 a5 16. d6 h7 1-0
    In the RHP game alanyzer it looks like blacks are moving three consecutive moves, without white to move. After white bishop move Bd3b1, the black is moving from pawn a7a5. Then black is moving again another pawn d7d6. And the last move, black moves again the pawn back in its initial position h6h7.

But correct variant, have to look like this 15. Bd3b1 a5 16. Qxf6h6 d6 17. Qh6h7 check mate
  15. At the Revolution
    Moves
    30 Jan '08 23:27
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    It was a plot perpetrated by terrorist and aprroved by the republican Party meant to destroy the competition and to gain control of all the oil. We all need to stand up in support of RHP and waive our flags.
    Hear hear for RHP!! 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree