1. The sky
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 01:14
    Originally posted by Mad Mac MacMad
    Lol - I've got a game where black takes his own queen with his rook....if only
    In Game 4484427, my opponent keeps moving non-existent pawns instead of moving the king out of check. This glitch has some entertainment value.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 01:36
    Thanks for the communication and quick fix. If you do ever plan to remove historical data, please give fair warning as I will certainly need lots of time to download/email all my old games.
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 06:111 edit
    If I understand this correctly the data is completely gone, and the only way it's coming back is if we all remember what the moves were and input them into some not yet existing tool. Just in case it turns out to be no small thing to create this tool, I think it would be wise for anyone interested in having accurate PGN's to review their games and start making notes of what the missing moves are before we forget.
  4. Standard memberdrdon
    His Mateship
    Glowing in the dark
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 07:53
    Originally posted by Russ
    We hit a problem yesterday which took us completely by surprise. We did not have a database failure in the normal sense, but the problems were database related, caused mainly by the vast amount of data we now retain, for games in particular.

For well over 12 hours each move made was not being archived. This has resulted in incomplete/corrupt PGNs and gam ...[text shortened]... d before we guarantee this will happen) This should be available within 2 or 3 days.

-Russ
    Would not stopping clocks rather than suspending timeouts have been a better idea?
  5. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 09:56
    Originally posted by drdon
    Would not stopping clocks rather than suspending timeouts have been a better idea?
    I agree.
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 11:40
    Originally posted by drdon
    Actually you have to consider the people who are online only at specific times. After their window closed they come back only the next day.

But I think it would be good to announce when the timouts will work again exactly.
  7. Joined
    28 Jun '07
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 12:30
    sorry for my english, but if one of my game is corrupted, i have to wait until the tool is going out?? or i finih this game without my queen and i lose it?

tell me please🙂

game #4352112
  8. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 12:38
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Actually you have to consider the people who are online only at specific times. After their window closed they come back only the next day.

But I think it would be good to announce when the timouts will work again exactly.
    I disagree.
    My opponent had 13 days and 16 hrs to move on our game before the pgn glitch happened. We have a 7/7 timeout timebank. RHP was then down for about 20hrs or so. Now my opponent still has another 24hrs not to be timed out after already having a extra 24hrs not to be timed out.
    The clocks should have been stopped when RHP was down. That's it. Why should I be penalized because of the pgn glitch. Why should the time clock players be awarded more time to play there time clock games. This is a chess site not a time clock site. I play chess not time clock. That's why I'm here. Move it or lose it.
    If they didn't play their time clock games and moved on their games and not wait until the last minute, they wouldn't have anything to worry about. Plain and simple.
  9. Joined
    31 Mar '07
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 13:30
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    I disagree.
    My opponent had 13 days and 16 hrs to move on our game before the pgn glitch happened. We have a 7/7 timeout timebank. RHP was then down for about 20hrs or so. Now my opponent still has another 24hrs not to be timed out after already having a extra 24hrs not to be timed out.
    The clocks should have been stopped when RHP was down. ...[text shortened]... wait until the last minute, they wouldn't have anything to worry about. Plain and simple.
    Yes, but if your opponent can only log on at a specific time of day, why should he be penalised because the site was down at that time?
  10. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 14:44
    Originally posted by Humph3
    Yes, but if your opponent can only log on at a specific time of day, why should he be penalised because the site was down at that time?
    They should have moved in the prior 13 days and 16hrs they had to move, which they did on some of their other games. Or they should not have accepted a timeout time bank they could possibly be timed out in. In which case I wouldn't be playing them.
    A 7/7 is more than enough time to move on a chess game. Especially with the vacation system they have in place now for members. If they want to wait until the last minute to move on a game, then that's the risk they take if RHP has a problem and has to shut down for a bit. The clock stops while RHP is shut down, but they better keep watch for them to come back online so they don't get timed out in their time clock game.
  11. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 14:49
    They should have moved in the prior 13 days and 16hrs they had to move, which they did on some of their other games. Or they should not have accepted a timeout time bank they could possibly be timed out in. In which case I wouldn't be playing them.
    A 7/7 is more than enough time to move on a chess game. Especially with the vacation system they hav ...[text shortened]... keep watch for them to come back online so they don't get timed out in their time clock game.
    Somebody heard me. I just got my timeout wins. Thanks RHP staff. 🙂
  12. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 15:40
    If they want to wait until the last minute to move on a game, then that's the risk they take if RHP has a problem and has to shut down for a bit. The clock stops while RHP is shut down, but they better keep watch for them to come back online so they don't get timed out in their time clock game.
    I understand your sentiment but if i am playing a 7/7 game it is MY prerogative to move whenever *i* want (not when you want me to move). since RHP has a very good uptime record i think you are making something out of nothing ... you don't need the win (plus, who wants their score to go up via a timeout win?), you can't wait 48 hours? Seems like a minor point to me.
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 16:041 edit
    Originally posted by inwerds
    I understand your sentiment but if i am playing a 7/7 game it is MY prerogative to move whenever *i* want (not when you want me to move). since RHP has a very good uptime record i think you are making something out of nothing ... you don't need the win (plus, who wants their score to go up via a timeout win?), you can't wait 48 hours? Seems like a minor point to me.
    Yes it is your prerogative to move when you want as long as you stay within the timeout time bank you and your opponent agreed upon before the start of the game. How is that moving when I want you too??? No I don't need the win but our team (clan) always does. I could care unless about my rating.
    And why should I wait another 48 hrs for a move when I've already waited 14 + days. Which we agreed upon before the start of the game. I play for our clan. And I play to win. And I will take it anyway we get it. Unless you had a death in the family or something like that your gettin timed out the minute I see your clock has expired.

Most professional chess has time clocks. And they're there for a reason. And if your in a tournament and your clock runs out what are you gonna say to your opponent, Can't you wait another 48 hrs?? I can tell you their answer, HELL NO!
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 16:14
    I don't understand why this is brought up in the first place. Why have times at all if we can't time anyone out then their time is out? My win is well earned if I can maage my time and my opponent can't.

But - if my opponent ask me to not time him out of som reason, I can think of me agreeing with that. And I take my right to say no too.
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    31 Jan '08 16:28
    Yes it is your prerogative to move when you want as long as you stay within the timeout time bank you and your opponent agreed upon before the start of the game. How is that moving when I want you too??? No I don't need the win but our team (clan) always does. I could care unless about my rating.
    And why should I wait another 48 hrs for a move wh ...[text shortened]... to your opponent, Can't you wait another 48 hrs?? I can tell you their answer, HELL NO!
    If in a chess tournament, suddenly a fire breaks out in the building and everyone has to
    evacuate, should the chess clocks remain on? Of course not.

This is a correspondence chess site, which means I should be able to submit my moves whenever
    I want. The old ones used to work by email; this one has provided the sorts of features that
    remove the need for email.

Consequently, if I arrive at the site during the only period of my day (say, during my lunch break
    at work) to find that I am unable to submit my move, I am being penalized unfairly. That is,
    I knew I needed to make a move before a certain time frame, I arrived to make my move,
    and was denied the possibility. I met my obligation, the site did not meet its obligation.

This is why it is just to give 24-48 hours timeout/timebank suspension. I hope you understand now.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree