1. Earth Prime
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 14:48
    Originally posted by Russ
    Please see the leading post from this thread and use the legacy board. This should help.

-Russ
    He mentioned it's a mobile browser. Probably having the same issue I am 🙁

I couldn't move on the old board code either.
  2. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 15:39
    russ

it looks great.

one small glitch (you may know about)...
    the 'my home - site map ...etc' and copyright notice at the botton of the page sometimes appears too high up (it actually appears over other bits of information).

i got this just now looking at Game 1803940
    i'm running the latest version of firefox (on pc)
  3. Small Town Manitoba
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 15:42
    From what I have seen it looks good! Thought it may have taken a little longer to load but that may have been my flaky connection so no worries.

GV
  4. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 16:06
    p.s. it's not doing it anymore!
    i LOVE the new boards.
    thanks russ
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 16:18
    Originally posted by murrow
    p.s. it's not doing it anymore!
    i LOVE the new boards.
    thanks russ
    This appears to be an intermittent Firefox rendering bug. If you have this problem, just refresh, and it should go away.

-Russ
  6. Joined
    18 Apr '04
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 16:19
    The new board interface was released today. There are plenty of architectural changes (for reasons to be announced soon), plus a number of presentation changes and new features.

As stated before, some people with older browser may experience problems, so a legacy interface is available.

From the board settings page, click the link contained below :

[ ...[text shortened]... an upgrade your browser. (All current versions of most browsers should be compatible.)

-Russ
    I play on several other chess sites and this is the only site that has made any improvements in that last couple of years. Thanks, Russ.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 16:19
    Originally posted by Nighthawk62
    From what I have seen it looks good! Thought it may have taken a little longer to load but that may have been my flaky connection so no worries.

GV
    The first request as you load new javascript and style sheets will probably take a little longer, and then it should be as fast (if not faster) than before.

-Russ
  8. West Virginia
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 16:58
    Wow! Incredible! The new variety of board styles possible are great! The Analysis Board changes... Well done, sir!
  9. Joined
    29 Jul '04
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 17:00
    Originally posted by Drax946
    Wow! Incredible! The new variety of board styles possible are great! The Analysis Board changes... Well done, sir!
    Totally agree. Superb stuff. Hope it improves my game.
  10. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 17:31
    wonderful, thanks Russ.
    The pieces are not so beautiful anymore - did you change here anything? I use the newspaper set...
    th
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 17:56
    The new site is very welcome, especiaily the 'flip board' facility. It is amazing how often "winnng" moves look more like losers from the other side (and vice versa of course).
  12. Earth Prime
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 18:09
    Oh dear. I have a complaint, and it probably isn't easy to fix 🙁

I was thinking I could use redhotchess on my mobile to view boards in legacy mode, and redhotpawn everywhere else, but it looks like settings save between sites. Obviously I don't want to change my site settings every time I switch between a desktop and a mobile.

With the new update notes option I was going to be able to put in my notes the move I wanted to make, then be able to make it from a real computer at a later time.
  13. Gloucestershire , UK
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 18:50
    nice updates, good work sir

one thing i dont like the pieces now, i think that they are too big even when i make the board to the large size
  14. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 19:54
    The new board interface was released today. There are plenty of architectural changes (for reasons to be announced soon), plus a number of presentation changes and new features.

As stated before, some people with older browser may experience problems, so a legacy interface is available.

From the board settings page, click the link contained below :

[ ...[text shortened]... an upgrade your browser. (All current versions of most browsers should be compatible.)

-Russ
    Russ-
    I updated my browser(windows XP and OE), then gave it a try. My analyze game was still doing the same thing - loading painfully slowly each time a piece was clicked on(all pices disappear for about 5 seconds, and then reapear in ones and twos over the next 15-20 seconds).
    So I followed the instructions in your post (that I'm quoting here). Now there is no analyze board option availible what so ever. Does this mean I will no longer have that feature availible to me as long as I have to use the legacy interface?

Is this slowness on ananlyze board a browser problem, or a memory problem? In other words, if I install more memory on my pc will the analyze game work properly back on the modern browser setting?
  15. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 20:221 edit
    I liked the board, pieces and graphics just the way they were. Now the pieces are ugly and the board is ugly... and what the heck is going on with the "altering colors of the squares on the board" showing where the opponent's piece moved FROM and where to? I HATE THIS! It really, really interferes with my concentration.

Please make that a feature we can turn off!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree