1. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 18:29
    We have changed the rules for tournament entry so that it now takes into consideration your highest rating in the last 365 days rather than the last 30 days.

There are many times when a player's rating falls from a short absence from the site and they are then unable to enter the tournament bands that their rating has previously allowed.

The reasoning behind this has also been discussed in more detail in the Tournaments forum.
  2. Joined
    06 Feb '04
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 19:52
    Been waiting a long time for you guys to do this.It should go a long way in making a fair playing field in the banded tourneys.My compliments to the chefπŸ™‚
  3. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 20:11
    Read Thread 57817 if you want more information.
  4. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 22:20
    Originally posted by Chris
    We have changed the rules for tournament entry so that it now takes into consideration your highest rating in the last 365 days rather than the last 30 days.

There are many times when a player's rating falls from a short absence from the site and they are then unable to enter the tournament bands that their rating has previously allowed.

The reasoning behind this has also been discussed in more detail in the Tournaments forum.
    that stinks!!! For honest people!!!

I'm going to subscribe soon, and I have been 1630, when I was preliminary. So I won't get to play against people my level :'(

Can you make it to last 2 months?
  5. Joined
    22 Oct '03
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 22:46
    Was there a "consultation vote" .......... did I miss it?
  6. Joined
    22 Oct '03
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 22:47
    How about having one?
  7. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 22:521 edit
    Originally posted by Ramned
    that stinks!!! For honest people!!!

I'm going to subscribe soon, and I have been 1630, when I was preliminary. So I won't get to play against people my level :'(

Can you make it to last 2 months?
    some revision should happen. Something. Because although it stops great players from ruining tourneys (it doesn't do that 100% ) it stops a lot of the users from playing people in their levels.
  8. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 23:03
    Originally posted by Ramned
    some revision should happen. Something. Because although it stops great players from ruining tourneys (it doesn't do that 100% ) it stops a lot of the users from playing people in their levels.
    The system was changed to make it more likely that players will face correct opposition in banded tournaments - certainly it is not intended to make it less likely!

As the rule applies to every player on the site, you will surely find that you are actually playing pretty much the same players as before but hopefully there will be a decrease in the number of players entering tournaments that are way below their real strength.

The scary players that are lying in wait in the band above (where many people will now find they have to play), will probably themselves now be playing at a higher level.

I'll make more tournaments with irregular bands (for example 1425 - 1525) which should help people who are one point over a band limits which will help for people who have, for example, a rating of 1501.

No matter what system is put in place, it will always be possible to find examples of players who you would rather not face and who fortuitously find themselves in a favorable position with regards to the entry criteria (for example, this always applies to someone with a rating of 1699 who can enter a 1500-1700 tournament), but it's pretty tough to design a system that allows every player on the site to win at least one tournament each πŸ™‚
  9. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 23:051 edit
    The system was changed to make it more likely that players will face correct opposition in banded tournaments - certainly it is not intended to make it less likely!

As the rule applies to every player on the site, you will surely find that you are actually playing pretty much the same players as before but hopefully there will be a decrease in the number of to design a system that allows every player on the site to win at least one tournament each πŸ™‚
    yeah keep it challenging.

I just am a bit skeptical of playing 1600s constantly because I'm not there.

I'll take it. Maybe bumb it down to highest rating in last 4/5 months though
  10. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 09:411 edit
    Chris I hope this means that you will have more bands at higher levels in tournaments now. i know some people have complained about things like 1700+ tournaments when 1700 players are supposed to compete with 2300 players. Due to your revision more people will be in this band, even though they may genuinely not be 1700+, so it is massively unfair on them.

e.g. 'Xmas '06 Grouped Random 1700+'

There should be a 1700-1900 band for this tournament, then possibly 1900-2000, then 2000+.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 09:45

As the rule applies to every player on the site, you will surely find that you are actually playing pretty much the same players as before but hopefully there will be a decrease in the number of ...[text shortened]... to design a system that allows every player on the site to win at least one tournament each πŸ™‚
    You need to exclude p ratings from this 365 day rule.

D
  12. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 14:00
    great news - thanks
  13. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 14:05
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    You need to exclude p ratings from this 365 day rule.

D
    Provisional players have always been excluded from banded tournaments.
  14. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 14:072 edits
    I will shortly make a slight amendment to this 365 day rule, so the new tournament entry critieria will be:

(MAX(CurrentRating,HighRating-100) + HighRating) / 2

This will mean that it is possible to entry tournaments that are 50 points below your highest rating, if you rating has dropped 100 points or more from its height.

Where it has dropped fewer than 100 points, your eligibility will be based on the average of your current rating and your highest rating.
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 14:20
    Provisional players have always been excluded from banded tournaments.
    I know, but if I was a p1600 player 300 days ago, I may be only a 1200 player today.

Somebody posted this guy already...User 311042 The highest rating is a rating he achieved while provisional.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree