Angels & Demons

Angels & Demons

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

Moves
03 Jun 09

Originally posted by scherzo
OK; the Vatican, which is the center of the Catholic faith, is vilified. Why do you think everyone hates Dan Brown and Ron Howard so much right now?
Eh no it's not, what makes you think their vilified?

You seem like your one of the many many people making opinions on something without actually reading the book

The religious nuts that hate Dan Brown are people that have an IQ of less than 10, their lack of any common sense makes it impossible for them to comprehend the concept of a fictional story!

s

At the Revolution

Moves
04 Jun 09

Originally posted by Jamesqt

You seem like your one of the many many people making opinions on something without actually reading the book

The religious nuts that hate Dan Brown are people that have an IQ of less than 10, their lack of any common sense makes it impossible for them to comprehend the concept of a fictional story!

I've read the books, and it portrays most of the Vatican as being pretty corrupt. Especially da Vinci code. The movie wasn't as bad towards Catholics.

I believe you mistakenly put a "0" in front of that "1" there.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
04 Jun 09

OK; the Vatican, which is the center of the Catholic faith, is vilified. Why do you think everyone hates Dan Brown and Ron Howard so much right now?
No, it isn't. The conservative elements within it turned out to be the good guys, while the apparently progressive one was the rotten apple.

s

Moves
04 Jun 09

Why do you assume people of faith have an IQ of 10? The reason Dan Brown and company are looked upon with disdain is the overwhelming majority of people taking Dan Brown as non-fiction because it neatly fits the liberal wolrdview of religion as evil. I would love for Dan Brown to take on Islam. Too cowardly. Christians are easy targets.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
04 Jun 09

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Why do you assume people of faith have an IQ of 10? The reason Dan Brown and company are looked upon with disdain is the overwhelming majority of people taking Dan Brown as non-fiction because it neatly fits the liberal wolrdview of religion as evil. I would love for Dan Brown to take on Islam. Too cowardly. Christians are easy targets.
Let him take on scientology if he's really got balls.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
04 Jun 09

Originally posted by Palynka
No, it isn't. The conservative elements within it turned out to be the good guys, while the apparently progressive one was the rotten apple.
Not from my viewing, unless you consider the Illuminati to be progressive.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
04 Jun 09

Not from my viewing, unless you consider the Illuminati to be progressive.
There were no Illuminati. 😕

Moves
04 Jun 09

I would love for Dan Brown to take on Islam.
The last person who did that ended up in hiding for his life for 20 years because the wonderful balanced and all embracing leader of the Isalmic world placed a fatwa death warrant on his head - just because he expressed free speech. Many of his followers expressed thier distast of this freedom of expression by burning his books, burning effigies of the author and demanding his death.

Islam is a lovely religion full of peace and tollerance - - god help us when Moslems get real political power in the West....

Care to comment Scherzo?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
04 Jun 09

Originally posted by divegeester
Care to comment Scherzo?
No, not particularly.

Moves
04 Jun 09

No, not particularly.
Thought so.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
04 Jun 09

Thought so.
Take it to spirituality, or to pm. This is culture, not religious hatred.

Moves
04 Jun 09

Take it to spirituality, or to pm. This is culture, not religious hatred.
No.

It's a related sub thread (in a thread I started btw) based on a poster here asking why Dan Brown wouldn't take on Islam in a novel. I'm just pointing out the reason why based on facts, nothing more and certainly not "hatred" - you of all people should realise that.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
04 Jun 09

No.

It's a related sub thread (in a thread I started btw) based on a poster here asking why Dan Brown wouldn't take on Islam in a novel. I'm just pointing out the reason why based on facts, nothing more and certainly not "hatred" - you of all people should realise that.
Yes, I should, because of my virulent hatred of Muslims and all.

😕

J

Moves
05 Jun 09

Why do you assume people of faith have an IQ of 10? The reason Dan Brown and company are looked upon with disdain is the overwhelming majority of people taking Dan Brown as non-fiction because it neatly fits the liberal wolrdview of religion as evil.
Because their taking Dan Browns work far, far too seriously!

Well if you were to look through the catholic religion from a purely factual point of view their are some holes where quite a few of the things in the bible are at odds with what historians believe etc but the point is you either have "faith" or you don't...and if you have faith then you overlook these small holes and shouldn't be given any of Robert Langdens opinions a 2nd thought!

s

Moves
05 Jun 09

Because their taking Dan Browns work far, far too seriously!

Well if you were to look through the catholic religion from a purely factual point of view their are some holes where quite a few of the things in the bible are at odds with what historians believe etc but the point is you either have "faith" or you don't...and if you have faith then you overlook these small holes and shouldn't be given any of Robert Langdens opinions a 2nd thought!
Indeed! There is no creed, belief, philosophy without ambiguities. Even the supposed infallibilty of science hardly gets any mention. The Bible has experienced significant doubt because of the innumerable translations and misinterpretations. The Catholic faith is no different than any philosophy in that it has been a slowly evolving set of ideas. Yet it gets attacked wantonly by the Dan Browns of the world witout regard to how dear it is held by millions. The Dan Browns of this world would never take on Islam, gays, feminists and other interest groups because they fear the backlash. Christians in general do not strike back and therefore make convenient targets. Never forget Salman Rushdie's years' long plight for his writings on Islam. He is lucky to be alive. Again, please refrain from making blanket statements about the collective IQ of an entire faith because they object to being ridiculed. It says more about you than about them. But back to the alleged holes, these ar no bigger than the holes in the theory of evolution, which gets called a theory without being such as it is only a hypothesis. No one seems to have a problem with this huge hole. Yet the "theologians" of science comfortably fill these holes with conjecture, missing links and wild assumptions. Really not very different than the manner in which Catholic theologians fill in holes in the philosphy of their faith.Finally, there likely would not be science as we know it without the ancient texts being preserved by monks and the scientific method being perfected in monasteries.