1. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 00:22
    In musicianship, particularly guitars, singing, songwriting and so on country now totally surpasses rock.

I've been a life long rock fan but I can no longer deny the obvious.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 00:25
    Originally posted by badmoon
    In musicianship, particularly guitars, singing, songwriting and so on country now totally surpasses rock.

"We play both kinds of music. Country AND Western!"
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 01:25

Define 'country'.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 03:20

Define "surpasses" in a way that I will agree with.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 03:22

your getting old!
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 07:071 edit
    Rock is for posers, hipsters and queers.

Real men listen mariachi music.
  7. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 11:33
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Define 'country'.
    Now that is a tough one.

Most say its roots are from the Southern US in the form of folk or hillbilly music, although I think that a case can be made that it was comes from the Celtic sounds that were brought over.

Mostly a 4/4 beat using keying off the 1 and 3 note. It often sings about community and family and relationships. I'm winging this one so cut me some slack. Now it has broadened to include early rock and roll. It certainly has blues roots with a touch of swing. Country music now sounds more like early rock and roll than the current bunch of rockers.

It has to pass the smell test like any other kind of music - you know it when you hear it.

I'll add that this is nore of a comment to the lack of talent in modern day rock than an endorsement of the country (and western, ok) genre.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 11:59

Amen brother! I've always been quite impressed with the musicianship of both C&W and Bluegrass.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 15:34
    Both "country" and "rock" are far too broad to make such sweeping statements.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Apr '11 15:48
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Both "country" and "rock" are far too broad to make such sweeping statements.
    I'd say you are generalizing here.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '11 09:24
    Now that is a tough one.

Most say its roots are from the Southern US in the form of folk or hillbilly music, although I think that a case can be made that it was comes from the Celtic sounds that were brought over.

Mostly a 4/4 beat using keying off the 1 and 3 note. It often sings about community and family and relationships. I'm winging this one so ...[text shortened]... lack of talent in modern day rock than an endorsement of the country (and western, ok) genre.
    its just a genre, line dancing is against everything i stand for, conformity, lack of
    individuality, automated and expressionless.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Apr '11 10:10
    Now that is a tough one.

Mostly a 4/4 beat using keying off the 1 and 3 note. It often sings about community and family and relationships. I'm winging this one so ...[text shortened]... lack of talent in modern day rock than an endorsement of the country (and western, ok) genre.
    That's just the thing. If you lump everything that isn't heavy metal under the banner 'country', then, well, who wouldn't like country? For my part, I like bluegrass. I like folk. I like roots music. I like Johnny Cash and Flatt & Scruggs. But I hate the 'country' of Toby Keith or Billy Ray Cyrus.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '11 11:251 edit
    Indeed Toby Keith and Billy Ray Cyrus hardly qualify as exemplars of anyting but inane music, not much better than utube sensation Rebecca Black. Side by side with Travelling McCourys they sound even worse. Yet even popsy blue grass like Union Station does is still quite appealing because of the extraordinary musicianship of said band.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Apr '11 19:45
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Indeed Toby Keith and Billy Ray Cyrus hardly qualify as exemplars of anyting but inane music, not much better than utube sensation Rebecca Black. Side by side with Travelling McCourys they sound even worse. Yet even popsy blue grass like Union Station does is still quite appealing because of the extraordinary musicianship of said band.
    I love JJ Cale , sometimes hes got a country feel, but its not country for country's sake.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '11 21:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I love JJ Cale , sometimes hes got a country feel, but its not country for country's sake.
    Plenty of artists out there who are very good and provide us great enjoyment instead of great annoyment!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree