Country music surpasses rock

Country music surpasses rock

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
08 Apr 11

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Plenty of artists out there who are very good and provide us great enjoyment instead of great annoyment!
i listened to Toby Keith, he had a song about doing ones duty, American soldier i think it was, which was rather grating. The other dude was just a poser.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
08 Apr 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i listened to Toby Keith, he had a song about doing ones duty, American soldier i think it was, which was rather grating. The other dude was just a poser.
The difference between country music and folk music is that country is right wing, while folk is left wing.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
08 Apr 11

Indeed Toby Keith and Billy Ray Cyrus hardly qualify as exemplars of anyting but inane music, not much better than utube sensation Rebecca Black. Side by side with Travelling McCourys they sound even worse. Yet even popsy blue grass like Union Station does is still quite appealing because of the extraordinary musicianship of said band.
Agree with you 100% on that one.

It seems to me that the modern day rockers don't give a rat's behind about being solid on guitar, bass, drums or keyboards. The musicians sound the same song after song with no individuality. I can hear exceptionalism in country all the time these days. toby keith? can we wipe his name off this thread?

s

Moves
08 Apr 11

Originally posted by rwingett
The difference between country music and folk music is that country is right wing, while folk is left wing.
I thought you were so anti-generalization.

rc

Moves
08 Apr 11
1 edit

lol, right wing to you guys is like fascism to us and left wing to you guys is like
moderates to us. I love folk music of every description, although i have to say that,
Toby was fairly artless, especially his 'look at me now video', which almost begged
belief. Are there no lefty rednecks in America? maybe i could start a trend!

F

Moves
08 Apr 11

I am currently getting off on Celtic music from north west Spain - Carlos Núñez and Llan de Lubel - and Brittany - Kornog and Alan Stivell. For a bit of French folk (not the same as the Breton kind) I have been sampling Malicorne. Before that I devoted some time to other 'celtic' groups that produce Irish folk - Lunasa - and Scottish folk - Dougie MacLean - and Welsh folk - Fernhill who do so with atypical instrumentation - strings, trumpet, voice. I must say a lot of English folk doesn't really appeal to me on a deep down level. But I have recently stumbled across a group making Danish folk music - Phonix - which sounds a bit English (unsurprisingly) but it carefully incorporates some eclectic elements such as jazz, so I have been enjoying it. Haven't got time for corporate "country" music from the U.S. Gave it a chance years ago. It's not a strand of musical evolution that I care for.

s

Moves
08 Apr 11

Originally posted by FMF
I am currently getting off on Celtic music from north west Spain - Carlos Núñez and Llan de Lubel - and Brittany - Kornog and Alan Stivell. For a bit of French folk (not the same as the Breton kind) I have been sampling Malicorne. Before that I devoted some time to other 'celtic' groups that produce Irish folk - Lunasa - and Scottish folk - Dougie MacLean - and ...[text shortened]... U.S. Gave it a chance years ago. It's not a strand of musical evolution that I care for.
But old country is truly great music. "Corporate" as you call it, still has better musicianship than R&R. How about Morrocan tribal music? Great stuff! Celtic music is quie appealing indeed. Rural Italian music sounds just like rural Mexican with wailing, plaintive singing.

rc

Moves
08 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I am currently getting off on Celtic music from north west Spain - Carlos Núñez and Llan de Lubel - and Brittany - Kornog and Alan Stivell. For a bit of French folk (not the same as the Breton kind) I have been sampling Malicorne. Before that I devoted some time to other 'celtic' groups that produce Irish folk - Lunasa - and Scottish folk - Dougie MacLean - and U.S. Gave it a chance years ago. It's not a strand of musical evolution that I care for.
I have Alan Stivell, Renaissance of the Celtic harp somewhere on vinyl, a truly great
listen. One of the best Scottish bands to grace the folk scene of late are a band called
The old blind dogs and who produce some sublime renditions of Lowland tunes and
even some American tunes as well, they have both traditional and modern
instruments. If you get the chance, check them out, you would like them for sure FMF.

F

Moves
08 Apr 11

F

Moves
08 Apr 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
One of the best Scottish bands to grace the folk scene of late are a band called
The old blind dogs and who produce some sublime renditions of Lowland tunes and
even some American tunes as well, they have both traditional and modern
instruments.
Sublime, robbie. I am there. I've got Old Blind Dogs - New Tricks (1992), Old Blind Dogs - Fit? (2001), Old Blind Dogs - Close to the Bone (1993), Old Blind Dogs - Tall Tails (1994), Old Blind Dogs - Legacy (1995), Old Blind Dogs - Five (1997), Old Blind Dogs - The World's Room (1999), Old Blind Dogs - The Gab O Mey (2003), and so on. Half a dozen more. The real thing. People pose about "country" and "folk". Defend corporate "country". I despair. he he.

rc

Moves
08 Apr 11

Originally posted by FMF
Sublime, robbie. I am there. I've got Old Blind Dogs - New Tricks (1992), Old Blind Dogs - Fit? (2001), Old Blind Dogs - Close to the Bone (1993), Old Blind Dogs - Tall Tails (1994), Old Blind Dogs - Legacy (1995), Old Blind Dogs - Five (1997), Old Blind Dogs - The World's Room (1999), Old Blind Dogs - The Gab O Mey (2003), and so on. Half a dozen more. The real ...[text shortened]... g. People pose about "country" and "folk". Defend corporate "country". I despair. he he.
wow you are there, yup, that band rocked! like you say, the real thing, i love their rendition of the twa corbies, its just captures the essence of the wind blowing over the dead knights body, the arrangement both boran and interspersed with a flute of some description, its too much, i gotta listen to it now! 🙂

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
08 Apr 11

I thought you were so anti-generalization.
Why do people keep saying that?

F

Moves
09 Apr 11

That's a broad brush you're using.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
09 Apr 11

Originally posted by badmoon
In musicianship, particularly guitars, singing, songwriting and so on country now totally surpasses rock.

I've been a life long rock fan but I can no longer deny the obvious.
Music is an art form. There is no such thing as one "surpassing" the other. 🙂

s

Moves
09 Apr 11

Because you frequently accuse others of that very issue so I was just surprised you would make such a sweeping statement. THat's all.