Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 21:302 edits
    In the latest issue (4) of 'American Chess Magazine', the editors regretted mixing up
    two Asian American junior female players. In the previous issue, the magazine had 'identified'
    Jennifer Yu by attaching a photo of Carissa Yip. While both girls are of Chinese ancestry,
    they really don't look alike; at least people familiar with Chinese faces don't think they look alike.

I suspect that some white readers would shrug and say, "Who cares? They all look alike anyway."
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 21:33
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Interesting how you try to deflect from the main points I tried to make. I was not trying to prove you wrong, I made a shallow search and got it wrong. So now you think I must be in some kind of battle of wills to prove you wrong. That assumption tells a lot more about your personality than you would wish to show.

Why don't you answer what I actually ...[text shortened]... nger, an artist, that you are not interested enough in art to actually show other people's work?
    Sonhouse keeps projecting many absurdities onto me. Sonhouse prefers to cling to
    an absurd stereotype of me, which is far from who I am or what I think.
    I don't care any more about Sonhouse eagerly believing all that nonsense than I do about
    him believing that he's watching the real Florence Mills in Ghost of a Duke's cited video.
  3. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Nov '17 22:421 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Sonhouse keeps projecting many absurdities onto me. Sonhouse prefers to cling to
    an absurd stereotype of me, which is far from who I am or what I think.
    I don't care any more about Sonhouse eagerly believing all that nonsense than I do about
    him believing that he's watching the real Florence Mills in Ghost of a Duke's cited video.
    Do you seriously think I still believe I was watching the real Mills? Why do you keep bringing that up? Like Trump keeps bringing up Hillary's emails, enough already, Bernie said.
    So why don't you put up artists you admire? If I stereotype you, like saying you hate the US and keep attacking things 40 years in the past, why not go to the Salem trials? Surely there is some grist for you there. It matters little what I say, it's always wrong in your eyes.

Because I posted the link to Nina Simone and Buffy, you don't watch it because you are not interested in someone else's POV? Those women dislike whitey as much as you. Well maybe not quite as much.

When I mistakenly asked for friendship, all I was asking for was to understand you a bit better, look at music posts you would post on people you admire artistically. That was it. There was no idea of stalking you.

I wanted to see another side of you, the artistic side, that was all. Too bad you don't seem to be able to show that side, instead only your arrogant acerbic pejorative laden superiority that you constantly need to prove.

You don't need to prove your superiority to me, it is obvious.

It is just as obvious you consider 99% of us here at RHP to be sub human.

That is not really the way to have people come over to your POV.

All that generates is contempt.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Nov '17 00:331 edit
    Florence Mills died on 1 November 1927, almost exactly 90 years ago.
    There may be no one alive who can remember her perform as an actress, dancer, or singer.
    Unfortunately, no audio or video recordings of her are known to survive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Mills

"Florence Mills (born Florence Winfrey; January 25, 1896 – November 1, 19 ...[text shortened]... s's singing voice has become a legend and, as such,
    will remain beyond comparison or criticism.
    Florence sounds like any other black lady out there, I listened to the YouTube songs. Not impressed. JMHO - Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, and Carol King were 100 times better (each)
  5. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 12:341 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Florence sounds like any other black lady out there, I listened to the YouTube songs. Not impressed. JMHO - Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, and Carol King were 100 times better (each)
    Who are you talking about? If no audio exists, you didn't listen to Florence Mills. I made the mistake of thinking I had found a Mills tape but it was Hill not Mills. Fully castigated for it of course.
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 13:39
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    So very very silly.

I'm rather embarrassed to be seen speaking to you.
    I have it. I have found the solution to the mystery.

It's obvious once you see the pattern: calling people "the <deplorable adjective> <name>", accusing others of persecution and lying every second post...

Only one conclusion is possible. Duchess is a nom de plume of Donald Trump.
  7. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 15:51
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    I have it. I have found the solution to the mystery.

It's obvious once you see the pattern: calling people "the <deplorable adjective> <name>", accusing others of persecution and lying every second post...

Only one conclusion is possible. Duchess is a nom de plume of Donald Trump.
    Not sure about that. Here is that person's own words:

"If you assume that you know who I am after reading this, you are foolish.
    If you are foolish enough, you will keep making that assumption."

That alone says 'arrogant' but seems a bit above the vocabulary or compositional capabilities of said Trumpf.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Nov '17 00:282 edits
    Florence sounds like any other black lady out there, I listened to the YouTube songs.
    Not impressed. JMHO - Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, and Carol King were 100 times better (each)
    Mchill keeps showing that he's an idiotic racist troll.

"Florence [Mills] sounds like any other black lady out there."
    --Mchill

How could Mchill possibly know what Florence Mills's singing voice sounds like?
    Florence Mills died on 1 November 1927. The first 'talkie' (feature film with sound),
    'The Jazz Singer' was released in October 1927.

There's a common racist stereotype about all black (or Asian) persons of the same gender
    supposedly looking (or perhaps even sounding) alike.

http://www.theroot.com/no-neither-asians-nor-blacks-all-look-alike-1790896079

"No, Neither Asians nor Blacks All Look Alike"
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Nov '17 00:492 edits
    _Florence Mills: Harlem Jazz Queen_ by Bill Egan is the best biography of her to date.

Did Florence Mills ever sing for the public other than in live performances?
    Evidently, she sang on a few radio broadcasts (which were not preserved) in the USA.
    There's evidence that, while performing on stage in London, she negotiated to appear
    on BBC radio, but it's unknown whether that ever happened.

Most people today are ignorant of how much of a celebrity Florence Mills was, particularly to black Americans.
    For her funeral, a reported 5000 mourners packed into a church designed to hold about half that number.
    Tens of thousands (at least) of people lined the streets (stopping traffic) outside the church.
    By all accounts, Florence Mills had the grandest funeral that Harlem had ever seen.
    Many black families apparently felt almost like they had lost one of their daughters.

Indeed, Florence Mills attracted the attention (perhaps even the admiration?) of Hitler!
    In 1927, Florence Mills had visited Germany, partly as a tourist and partly to see a friend in Berlin.
    (Pre-Nazi Berlin was a very cosmopolitan city, including non-white performers in its cultural life.)
    In 1932, Hitler met a black American who was studying at Heidelberg University.
    He was impressed when Hitler (who was widely read) spoke knowledgeably about several
    black Americans, including the late Florence Mills. (Despite Nazi propaganda condemning
    jazz as 'Negro music', there were some Germans with a secret passion for jazz and
    admiration for the black artists who performed it so well.) So Florence Mills might have
    even impressed Hitler (who probably never heard her sing) despite his racial prejudice.
  10. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Nov '17 08:43
    Mchill keeps showing that he's an idiotic racist troll.

"Florence [Mills] sounds like any other black lady out there."
    --Mchill

How could Mchill possibly know what Florence Mills's singing voice sounds like?
    Florence Mills died on 1 November 1927. The first 'talkie' (feature film with sound),
    'The Jazz Singer' was released in October 1927.

T ...[text shortened]... er-asians-nor-blacks-all-look-alike-1790896079

"No, Neither Asians nor Blacks All Look Alike"
    Dear Duchess - Music is an art form. Much like theatre, painting, or sculpture. One cannot prove mathematically what form of music is better than another. You have your taste in music, and I have mine, and if I don't care for yours, all the ugly and abrasive comments won't change that.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Nov '17 22:04
    Dear Duchess - Music is an art form. Much like theatre, painting, or sculpture. One cannot prove mathematically what form of music is better than another. You have your taste in music, and I have mine, and if I don't care for yours, all the ugly and abrasive comments won't change that.
    The idiotic racist troll Mchill tries diversionary nonsense to cover up his blatant errors.

"Florence [Millls] sounds like any other black lady out there."
    --Mchill

So when Mchill has heard one black woman sing, he feels that he has heard all black women sing.
    They all sound as well look alike, don't they?

"I listened to the YouTube songs."
    --Mchill

Whoever Mchlll listened to was *not* Florence Mills. Her career took place before the 'talkies'.

"Not impressed."
    --Mchill

Even after Ghost of a Duke and Sonhouse had (grudgingly) conceded that they were wrong to
    believe that they had found videos of Florence Mills, Mchill's still idiotic enough to believe that he did so.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Nov '17 22:07
    _Florence Mills: Harlem Jazz Queen_ by Bill Egan is the best biography of her to date.

Did Florence Mills ever sing for the public other than in live performances?
    Evidently, she sang on a few radio broadcasts (which were not preserved) in the USA.
    There's evidence that, while performing on stage in London, she negotiated to appear
    on BBC radio, bu ...[text shortened]... ht have
    even impressed Hitler (who probably never heard her sing) despite his racial prejudice.
    According to her biographer, Bill Egan, even Hitler (who spoke 'knowledgeably' about her)
    may have showed more appreciation than some white men here of Florence Mills.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    11 Nov '17 12:25
    The idiotic racist troll Mchill tries diversionary nonsense to cover up his blatant errors.

"Florence [Millls] sounds like any other black lady out there."
    --Mchill

So when Mchill has heard one black woman sing, he feels that he has heard all black women sing.
    They all sound as well look alike, don't they?

"I listened to the YouTube songs."
    ...[text shortened]... hey had found videos of Florence Mills, Mchill's still idiotic enough to believe that he did so.
    My preference is to ignore your posts, so would appreciate it if you avoided mentioning me by name, as it is something of a chore to rebuff your false statements.

I did not 'grudgingly' concede that the video i linked to wasn't Florence Mills. My very first post in this thread was a question to you - "Is this not her singing and dancing?"

All that was required from you was a 'no' and I would readily have accepted that, having never heard of her before or seen any images of her. A cursory search brought up an old black and white video clip of a woman singing and dancing while the narrator spoke enthusiastically about Florence Mills. I point out again that it was not an unreasonable (or racist) consideration that the woman I saw singing and dancing was Florence Mills, hence my opening question to you as to whether the woman was indeed her.

I conceded nothing, I begrudged nothing. I merely asked a question that triggered your tiresome defence mechanism putting you in attack mode.
  14. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 13:011 edit
    qOriginally posted by @duchess64
    First of all, Ghost of a Duke arrogantly presumed that he could disprove my original statement
    by doing a 'cursory search', as though I had no reason to make that statement in the first place.

On YouTube, it's easy to claim that something is what it's not.
    Ghost of a Duke shows his extreme gullibility.

"It was not unreasonable for me to assume ...[text shortened]... rence Mills?
    They were both black American women, but they don't look like Doppelgängers to me.
    What about his point that you could have just said, you are incorrect, that is not her or some such rather than starting another war over someone you personally never heard?

He was not challenging your superiority, he asked a question, "Could this not be her', a clear question.

I assume this will just lead to more pejoratives against me but I am used to it by now.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 03:361 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    My preference is to ignore your posts, so would appreciate it if you avoided mentioning me by name, as it is something of a chore to rebuff your false statements.

I did not 'grudgingly' concede that the video i linked to wasn't Florence Mills. My very first post in this thread was a question to you - "Is this not her singing and dancing?"

All ...[text shortened]... rely asked a question that triggered your tiresome defence mechanism putting you in attack mode.
    The dishonest Ghost of a Duke goes back on even his earlier apparent concessions.

The extremely arrogant Ghost of a Duke cannot bring himself to admit cleanly his ignorant errors.
    The sneering Ghost of a Duke also shows his extreme gullibility in trusting YouTube, which has no editorial control.

"If any other poster had said about any other historical character or performer that no footage of them existed,"
    --Ghost of a Duke

"Again, my search was cursory."
    --Ghost of a Duke

On the basis of his admitted 'cursory search', Ghost of a Duke jumped to the conclusion that I must be wrong.

"Is this NOT her [Florence Mills] singing and dancing?"
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgrpViU5L_k
    --Ghost of a Duke

*If* Ghost of a Duke had asked "Is this her singing and dancing?"--a neutral question--I would have written 'No'.
    Instead, his words "Is this NOT her..." imply that Ghost of a Duke believed that he was watching the
    real Florence Mills and therefore that I must be obviously wrong about such a basic matter of fact.