Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. 14 Nov '17 03:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    What about his point that you could have just said, you are incorrect, that is not her or some such rather than starting another war over someone you personally never heard?

He was not challenging your superiority, he asked a question, "Could this not be her', a clear question.
    I assume this will just lead to more pejoratives against me but I am used to it by now.
    Sonhouse's an idiotic troll who's usually too arrogant or dishonest to concedes his blatant errors.

I have to say that, according to Florence Mills's biographer, Hitler seemed more open-minded,
    knowledgeable, and honestly appreciative than the (largely racist) Americans and Britons
    here about Florence Mills. Despite his racism, Hitler sometimes could appreciate the
    achievements of non-white people. So imagine being able to have a more meaningful
    conversation with Hitler about Florence Mills!
  2. Standard member Ghost of a Duke
    Zen Master
    14 Nov '17 08:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Sonhouse's an idiotic troll who's usually too arrogant or dishonest to concedes his blatant errors.

I have to say that, according to Florence Mills's biographer, Hitler seemed more open-minded,
    knowledgeable, and honestly appreciative than the (largely racist) Americans and Britons
    here about Florence Mills. Despite his racism, Hitler sometimes co ...[text shortened]... So imagine being able to have a more meaningful
    We're all worse than Hitler.

Gotcha.
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    14 Nov '17 12:34 / 2 edits

here about Florence Mills. Despite his racism, Hitler sometimes co ...[text shortened]... So imagine being able to have a more meaningful
    So the sentence 'could this not be her' is not a question. Got it, thanks for the grammatical lesson. I now undersand the meaning of the term troll: Anyone who disagrees with D64.

BTW, since you have never heard her all you are getting is second or third hand source material so you personally have no idea what that lady sounded like.

But of course, we males here are the assswipes and trolls and hypocritical craven arrogant idiotic trolls and most of the females here also.

How many friends have you cultivated here? One?

I can't wait for your next verbal blast.

BTW, I have no doubt Mills is as great a singer as the book portrays. But that part slipped right by you didn;t it? You just ASSUMED I was dissing her. So much for assumptions.
    But what do I know since I am an arrogant lying hypocritical craven idiotic troll. Can you think of any more pejoratives to add to that list?

Your reticence to even discuss artistic merit for the most part makes me wonder if you are telling the truth about your own artistic achievements. These forums are rife with trolls who say they are one thing but in reality quite another and there is nothing but your word you can sing at all. Till I started reading how your hate filled diatribes against me and others here, mostly males but several females also I just assumed you were what you said you were. Now I don't know at all. I could give you a link to my acoustic music compositions but you are MUCH too superior to even THINK there could be anything interesting in my music. Now I think there is probably not much of interest in yours either.

You NEVER post music you like in the 'what are you listening to' thread in general so I assume therefore you are just not that interested in art, only in proving your much vaunted superiority over any and all here. Quite a narcissistic attitude. But don't worry, you will NEVER hear my music if I can help it, you don;t deserve it. Besides just assuming I have nothing to offer artistically. Do you?
  4. 15 Nov '17 02:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    We're all worse than Hitler.
    Gotcha.
    The lying troll Ghost of a Duke dishonestly ignores the context.
    Evidently, Hitler was more knowledgeable than Ghost of a Duke, Sonhouse, and Mchill about Florence Mills.

According to Florence Mills's biographer, in 1932 an African American student at Heidelburg University met Hitler.
    He was impressed when Hitler spoke 'knowledgeably' about the late Florence Mills.
    As far as I know, when she had visited Germany in 1927, she not performed in public there.
    Why would Hitler have bothered to follow Florence Mills if, at some level, he did not appreciate her?
  5. 15 Nov '17 03:00
    So the sentence 'could this not be her' is not a question. Got it, thanks for the grammatical lesson. I now undersand the meaning of the term troll: Anyone who disagrees with D64.

BTW, since you have never heard her all you are getting is second or third hand source material so you personally have no idea what that lady sounded like.

But of course, ...[text shortened]... lp it, you don;t deserve it. Besides just assuming I have nothing to offer artistically. Do you?
    "BTW, since you have never heard her all you are getting is second or third hand source
    material so you personally have no idea what that lady sounded like."
    --Sonhouse

The idiotic troll Sonhouse's brain moves at a glacial pace, finally stumbling upon the obvious.
    Given that Florence Mills died 90 years ago, there are extremely few--at most--persons
    who are old enough to remember any of her live performances.

What we do know from diverse reviews by critics who heard Florence Mills sing is that her
    voice was strikingly distinctive--truly unique. Contrary to what the racist troll Mchill believed,
    "Florence [Mills] sounds like any other black lady out there." (to quote Mchill).
  6. Standard member mchill
    Green Lantern
    15 Nov '17 10:00
    "BTW, since you have never heard her all you are getting is second or third hand source
    material so you personally have no idea what that lady sounded like."
    --Sonhouse

The idiotic troll Sonhouse's brain moves at a glacial pace, finally stumbling upon the obvious.
    Given that Florence Mills died 90 years ago, there are extremely few--at most--perso ...[text shortened]... ill believed,
    "Florence [Mills] sounds like any other black lady out there." (to quote Mchill).
    I wonder if it's ever occurred to Duchess that Mchill said that simply to see what Duchess' reaction would be?? I see sonhouse has joined a very very long list of people (like myself) that had made the Duchess enemies list.
  7. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    15 Nov '17 11:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I wonder if it's ever occurred to Duchess that Mchill said that simply to see what Duchess' reaction would be?? I see sonhouse has joined a very very long list of people (like myself) that had made the Duchess enemies list.
    Wow, the pejorative list keeps growing, now I am a lying hypocritical, craven, idiotic troll, with an abysmally slow mind.
    So anyone who even vaguely disagrees with that person D64 is automatically a troll.
    I should have figured that out long ago but I am SO slow of thought.....
    I am going to need another paragraph to put the pejoratives all together soon.

But (she?) didn't deign to answer my statement 'is this not Mills?' being a question and not a oh so subtle attack on (her?) person.

(she?) thinks I never thought D64 only had heard about Mills second hand and I must have just, in my extremely slow mind had just come to that fantastic conclusion.

Of course I understood that but didn't mention it till the pejoratives started adding up.
  8. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    15 Nov '17 21:02 / 1 edit
    Here is a great pianist now mainly forgotten, Helen Hagan, born 1891, died 1964

YouTube
  9. Standard member mchill
    Green Lantern
    16 Nov '17 03:08
    Here is a great pianist now mainly forgotten, Helen Hagan, born 1891, died 1964

[youtube]EtXnYOJgFdc[/youtube]
    Very Nice.
  10. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Nov '17 14:04
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Very Nice.
    Well, since I am well known to be a lying hypocritical craven idiot with an extremely slow mind, I must have paid someone to have found this brilliant lady composer.

I get the distinct feeling D64 cares little for art or he/she would be posting favorites in 'what are you listening to' which I do regularly.
  11. 17 Nov '17 01:31 / 1 edit
    In the 2013 British television miniseries 'Dancing on the Edge', there's a reference to Florence Mills.
    Set in 1933, the Prince of Wales visits the Imperial Hotel to hear a 'coloured' jazz band play.
    He's captivated by the female lead singer (and dances with her after the performance).

His younger brother says, recalling the Prince of Wales's earlier infatuation:
    "He [the Prince of Wales] went to see Florence Mills 47 times [an exaggeration]."

Then someone says of this female singer:
    "She could be a very busy young woman [with the Prince of Wales's attentions upon her]."
    Unfortunately (like Florence Mills), this fictional singer then dies suddenly and tragically.

Of course, any secret affair between the Prince of Wales and a young black woman
    performer would, if revealed, have been a major scandal in the 1920s-30s UK.
  12. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Nov '17 12:42
    In the 2013 British television miniseries 'Dancing on the Edge', there's a reference to Florence Mills.
    Set in 1933, the Prince of Wales visits the Imperial Hotel to hear a 'coloured' jazz band play.
    He's captivated by the female lead singer (and dances with her after the performance).

His younger brother says, recalling the Prince of Wales's earlier ...[text shortened]... young black woman
    performer would, if revealed, have been a major scandal in the 1920s-30s UK.
    So a post is interesting to you only if YOU post it. Got it.