Jazz question

Jazz question

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Aug 08

Originally posted by buckky
I have been envolved with the music scene most of my adult life, as a musician, and as a booking agent. To many times I see individuals with average talent thinking they are the next big thing. A little talent is a dangerous thing. Ego can drag the best man down. Just knowing that there are tons of people out there that can play you under the rug can be somewhat depressing after years of trying to be just good.
That goes for every artistic endeavour. Knowing your limits can be hard to swallow.

What about average musicians who turn to drugs in the vain hope of adding lustre to their aura? Common?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Aug 08

Originally posted by scherzo
Yeah, Bosse wants to hear more about himself.
Ha ha.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
07 Aug 08

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Dressing the part isn't such a bad idea, you know. Think of Nick Cave, The Cramps, Iggy Pop, Sun Ra ... What would you wear -- pyjamas? Only Will Oldham could pull that off.
I don't think you have to look different in order to BE different.

When you play a cd at home or in your car, you are only listening to the music. What difference does it make how they look on a stage?

The truth is that it only makes a difference to people that THINK it makes a difference.

You may have a sexy red velvet jacket on stage but if your song sux, who cares?

Next time you go see a band play for the first time, turn around and put your back to them before they come on stage. Listen to a few songs and then turn around and look at the band. If your impression of them changes, simply by how they look, well my friend I suggest you join the other non-swimmers in the shallow end of the pool.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Aug 08

Originally posted by uzless
When you play a cd at home or in your car, you are only listening to the music. What difference does it make how they look on a stage?
Do you understand the difference between listening to a cd at home and watching a band play live?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
07 Aug 08

Do you understand the difference between listening to a cd at home and watching a band play live?
For me there is no difference. Music is music. Clothing is irrelevant.

Please explain to me what you see as the difference.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Aug 08

For me there is no difference.
You must be kidding.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
08 Aug 08

Ha ha.
Not very witty, I'll admit. But I got my point across. Take this to debates.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
11 Aug 08

Originally posted by scherzo
Take this to debates.
Who are you...The Moderator?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
11 Aug 08

You must be kidding.
No.

Explain to us how when you watch a band play live music on stage that the clothing they wear influences how good or bad you think the music is.

Enlighten those of us still left in the cave.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
11 Aug 08

No.

Explain to us how when you watch a band play live music on stage that the clothing they wear influences how good or bad you think the music is.

Enlighten those of us still left in the cave.
A show has a visual element that is favourably enhanced by a band's dress code, especially if the music is on the dramatic side. Do I need to elaborate on this?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
11 Aug 08
2 edits

A show has a visual element that is favourably enhanced by a band's dress code, especially if the music is on the dramatic side. Do I need to elaborate on this?
No, I know your kind. I know what goes on in your mind.

If you want a visual element, watch their video on mtv on your ipod while the band plays.

Are you one of those guys that used to go wild when Roger Daltry would do the windmill, or angus would do that one footed hop, or Axl Rose would run from one side of the stage to the other?

What you're talking about is performance art with a musical element to it..... not just music.

d

Moves
11 Aug 08

Bosse is talking about a live experience which is more than just the "music". Certain bands have an unmistakable element of costume and visuals as part of their live performances. The Cramps, Devo, Marilyn Manson, among thousands of others, are good examples of performers who provide more than just an aural experience at live shows - they produce spectacle which can include visual stimuli such as lights, costumes, stage design, etc. That is just the nature of performance.

While I agree that the clothes a band wears while performing is typically irrelevant and unimportant, more elaborate and dramatic performances usually have a fashion/costume component which is part-and-parcel of the experience as a whole. This cannot be denied nor judged as shallow.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
11 Aug 08

Originally posted by darvlay

While I agree that the clothes a band wears while performing is typically irrelevant and unimportant, more elaborate and dramatic performances usually have a fashion/costume component which is part-and-parcel of the experience as a whole. This cannot be denied nor judged as shallow.
Granted. But you shouldn't have to show up to your interview with the band wearing a costume....which is what this was all about.

d

Moves
11 Aug 08

Granted. But you shouldn't have to show up to your interview with the band wearing a costume....which is what this was all about.
That I agree with also.

What now?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
11 Aug 08

Originally posted by darvlay
That I agree with also.

What now?
landfill mining