1. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 14:09
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You didn't miss a post, but you missed giving it a bit more thought.

Why does he call for the exclusion of non-voters?
    It is not without precedent. Many of the forum competitions in the past required the participants to vote (the music and photo competitions are just two examples). They also required that participants do not vote for their own entires.

It is a fair set of rules that encourages participation, the validity of the results and the success of the competition.

A competition that has more entrants than voters is just plain sad.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 14:21
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    It is not without precedent. Many of the forum competitions in the past required the participants to vote (the music and photo competitions are just two examples). They also required that participants do not vote for their own entires.

It is a fair set of rules that encourages participation, the validity of the results and the success of the competition.

Commonsense reply from a cool head rec'd.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 14:26
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher

Why is it sad? What matters is the total number of people who enjoy it. Maybe you enjoy the pats in the back more than the creation and sharing process itself, I don't.

Raven said I could only have one of my two entries to submit for voting and asked me which one I would pick. I replied simply "Yes." because I don't really care about the competition beyond the sharing involved. If I was disqualified for that, so be it. I prefer posting more and not be a part of the official competition than submit only one just so I have a chance of winning.

But, hey, I didn't vote so I must be doing it to put others at a disadvantage, right? Whatever.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 14:27
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Commonsense reply from a cool head rec'd.
    You always liked the holier-than-thou types.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 14:42
    You always liked the holier-than-thou types.
    Mistaken identity.... I've always valued hardnosed, insightful individuals (oblivious

to groupthink holier than anybody outside the herd) with both feet on the ground.

6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 14:45
    Mistaken identity.... I've always valued hardnosed, insightful individuals (oblivious

to groupthink holier than anybody outside the herd) with both feet on the ground.

When you look in the mirror the reflection is reversed. Which herd are you talking about here? I seem to be pretty much alone in my defense of these accusations.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 14:54
    For me too.

But apparently not voting is grounds for exclusion in Gatecrasher's mind. Can you take a guess as to why he thinks it's grounds for exclusion?
    When I read '0 points' I thought he was joking, in a mildly rebuking sort of way. Well, this has already attracted more attention than the sentence contest.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 15:001 edit
    When you look in the mirror the reflection is reversed. Which herd are you talking about here? I seem to be pretty much alone in my defense of these accusations.
    Since time began, there's only ever been one herd for whom the view never changes.

Gate's not part of it. Read his brief comments, thoughtfully, again for the first time.

9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 15:11
    I don't take any leap. He posted that non-voters should be excluded. On what grounds do you think he means if not cheating?
    Failure to comply to his view of how people should vote? People can be disqualified from any given sport, competition, or activity for reasons other than 'cheating'.

Remember, it's opinion. Why let it bother you so much? Who cares what he thinks? Do you feel perhaps he's right?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 15:14
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Failure to comply to his view of how people should vote? People can be disqualified from any given sport, competition, or activity for reasons other than 'cheating'.

Remember, it's opinion. Why let it bother you so much? Who cares what he thinks? Do you feel perhaps he's right?
    Objectivity rec'd.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 15:211 edit
    Objectivity rec'd.
    Quit picking scabs... If you agree expand on it with your view. All you are doing is shoving a big fat Nah Nah in Plank's face. Don't be an ass.

P-
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 15:292 edits

Why do you keep avoiding the question? You just keep pushing the real question up one level. The fact is that there wasn't any such rule and there is no reason for there to be a retroactive disqualification unless he feels it's cheating.

Do you feel perhaps he's right?
    What do you think, genius? Or is that an indication that YOU feel he's right? It's always bemusing when people ask others why do they care. Why don't you tell me why you care first?
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 15:30
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    When I read '0 points' I thought he was joking, in a mildly rebuking sort of way. Well, this has already attracted more attention than the sentence contest.
    He posted earlier than non-voters should be excluded.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 15:332 edits
    Quit picking scabs... If you agree expand on it with your view. All you are doing is shoving a big fat Nah Nah in Plank's face. Don't be an ass.

P-
    Rec'd your reply simply because I agreed with your point of view. My opinion had

already been expressed. There was no compelling reason to 'expand' on yours.

Edit: Remember you posting at an earlier time, "That's how I roll." Other Red

Hot Pawn Member/Subscribers may possibly roll with a slightly different style.

15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 15:37
    He posted earlier than non-voters should be excluded.
    Banteringly, I thought.

I wonder how tone works in situations like this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree