Most incredible album ever...

Most incredible album ever...

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
10 Jun 08

Nice choon by Beirut, which I hadn't heard before.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kjeh6P4sRfw

D

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
10 Jun 08

There is only one album that all must own - Kind of Blue

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
10 Jun 08

"Dummy" by Portishead

m

Moves
10 Jun 08

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=enuPkr1VxJw
That's the first example I thought of as well. Mike Oldfield also famously played most of the instruments on that.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10 Jun 08
1 edit

In the folk world, there is this guy, Bert Jansch. He was pretty famous with the 70's folk supergroup Pentangle, along with John Renbourne, Jaqui McShee, Danny Thomas, among others. Well in 1963 Bert came out with a barnstorming original for the time, an album that in the US at least (it may have had a differant name in the UK) called 'Lucky Thirteen'. It had so many absolute knockout guitar tracks and songs, I buy a copy whenever I am in a vinyl record store when I come across it. There is one tune on there that was imitated by everyone who was an up and coming folk guiitarist, famously covered by Paul Simon even, called Angie, not to be confused with the Rolling stones song Anji. For the time period back then and even now, Bert's version of Angie is a great guitar piece. I found this link on youtube, his version:

a

Moves
12 Jun 08

illmatic

k

Out To Lunch

Moves
13 Jun 08

This was all before I was born, or in my very young childhood [1993 baby], but if anybody would like to take a chance with the album: "It Won't Be Soon Before Long" by Maroon 5, I highly suggest it. Very good stuff 🙂

-K

P.S. If anybody does try it out tell me how you like it!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Jun 08

Originally posted by kfennessy
This was all before I was born, or in my very young childhood [1993 baby], but if anybody would like to take a chance with the album: "It Won't Be Soon Before Long" by Maroon 5, I highly suggest it. Very good stuff 🙂

-K

P.S. If anybody does try it out tell me how you like it!
Well, I found a couple of cuts on youtube, I got a kick out of turning off the sound and just watching the show.🙂

H

Moves
25 Jun 08

Originally posted by aristotleaposill
illmatic

Illinois

Moves
25 Jun 08

Iron & Wine's, The Shepherd's Dog, is probably the most incredible, most satisfying album I've heard in ages. I recommend tossing the CD in right as you're driving into a wicked looking thunderstorm. I can't explain the effect, but if you ever try it out, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Bottom line, buy this album; it's already an American classic.

P

weedhopper

Moves
25 Jun 08

Originally posted by badmoon
There is only one album that all must own - Kind of Blue
Is that the artist or the album title?

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
25 Jun 08

The Velvet Underground & Nico

Not only is the cover already legendary (Yellow banana, signed by Andy Warhol); it was going to be a white banana, but the day before it got printed Lou Reed painted it yellow: "Bananas are yellow" and Andy Warhol never forgave him.

Not only is the whole concept of creating one of the rawest albums ever made a stroke of genius, but it was created at the height of the peace, love and happiness orgy of the mid to late sixties.

The first time I heard it I fell instantly in love with it. It's just so different to anything ever made.

Lyrics range from hangovers, to drug deals, through sado-masochistic sex and even shooting heroin is touched upon. Touched upon? Well... it's one way of putting it.

The songs range from sweet melodies to arguably the roughest sounding guitar arrangements ever made on a non-live album. Electric violins and monotonous drum beats. Ecstatic build-ups and shocking interruptions.
And really some of the best lyrics you'll ever have the joy of listening to.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=0cWzxJvgWc8

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=AwzaifhSw2c

'll be your mirror
Reflect what you are, in case you don't know
I'll be the wind, the rain and the sunset
The light on your door to show that you're home

When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind
Please put down your hands
'Cause I see you

I find it hard to believe you don't know
The beauty you are
But if you don't let me be your eyes
A hand in your darkness, so you won't be afraid

When you think the night has seen your mind
That inside you're twisted and unkind
Let me stand to show that you are blind
Please put down your hands
'Cause I see you

I'll be your mirror

- Lou Reed -

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
25 Jun 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Is that the artist or the album title?
Really?

P

weedhopper

Moves
26 Jun 08

Originally posted by bbarr
Really?
Yes---I've never heard of "Kind of Blue"

Illinois

Moves
26 Jun 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Yes---I've never heard of "Kind of Blue"
It's the album title. You'd probably be interested to know that Miles Davis' chord progressions in Kind Of Blue influenced Richard Wright's keyboard work in the song "Breathe" from DSOTM.