Most incredible album ever...

Most incredible album ever...

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
04 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by shavixmir
The Velvet Underground & Nico

Not only is the cover already legendary (Yellow banana, signed by Andy Warhol); it was going to be a white banana, but the day before it got printed Lou Reed painted it yellow: "Bananas are yellow" and Andy Warhol never forgave him.

Not only is the whole concept of creating one of the rawest albums ever made a stroke of se put down your hands
'Cause I see you

I'll be your mirror

- Lou Reed -
I prefer White Light/White Heat for the following reasons:

1. No awful singing by Nico.
2. The sound and style of the songs on WL/WH are even rawer, more experimental and influential than the songs on VU & Nico.
3. Sister Ray - Greatest song ever written.
4. Andy Warhol did nothing for the VU except draw a banana and bring that god awful Nico into the band. WL/WH is, in my opinion, the TRUE representation of the Velvet Underground.

This being said, VU & Nico is still easily in my top 10 based on the strength of 5 or 6 songs alone but the entire WL/WH LP plays to my love of unpredictability, discord, chaos and cryptic beauty from start to finish.

d

Moves
04 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by DrKF
Not much argument against that choice - I can't think of a (non-electronic) band I love that doesn't bear their influence in some way. For me and the music I like, they are more important than the Beatles.
In my opinion, no band will ever be more important than the Beatles.

D

Moves
04 Jul 08

Originally posted by rbmorris
First impression, very good.

It doesn't grab me right away like 'Henry's Dream', but it's entirely possible that could change after several listens. Interestingly (or not), many of my favorite albums took some time to grow on me.
I'd be hard-pressed to select a favorite out of Nick Cave's earlier albums. From Her to Eternity and The First Born is Dead are great too. But I'd be even more hard-pressed to select a favorite Cave album when the more recent ones are included too. By far my favorite artist.

David

P

weedhopper

Moves
11 Jul 08

I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about music, especially my own era's, but after watching a special on the evolution of rock, I find I completely missed two bands that seem to have been very influential: Velvet Underground (which many of you have mentioned) and Roxy Music. I don't know how these 2 slipped past me in my formative years--did either of them have hit singles I should have heard?

T

Moves
12 Jul 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about music, especially my own era's, but after watching a special on the evolution of rock, I find I completely missed two bands that seem to have been very influential: Velvet Underground (which many of you have mentioned) and Roxy Music. I don't know how these 2 slipped past me in my formative years--did either of them have hit singles I should have heard?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Is_the_Drug

Moves
13 Jul 08

Originally posted by darvlay
In my opinion, no band will [b]ever be more important than the Beatles.[/b]
I'd have to second that. If you were not alive in 1967 then you couldn't possible appreciate the impact that Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band had. There was simply nothing like it at the time, and any band's "masterpiece" from then on has been referred to as their "Sgt. Peppers".