1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 13:08
    http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/110411_music.htm

Staves of cognitive decline. Maybe this explains why I still have most of my marbles🙂

Played music professionally for decades. Traditional Irish and American old time music mainly, and lately started writing my own tunes. For me, getting older has made me more creative not less. Hope this holds up when I am 90!
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 17:271 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Staves of cognitive decline. Maybe this explains why I still have most of my marbles🙂

Played music professionally for decades. Traditional Irish and American old time music mainly, and lately started writing my own tunes. For me, getting older has made me more creative not less. Hope this holds up when I am 90!
    Sorry to break the bad news, but you have been posting the same thing everyday for years now. We alert the mods and they delete it quietly so as not to upset you.

😉
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 20:06

Then how do you explain Nero? His damnable fiddling doesn't seem to have done him any good.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Dec '12 20:50
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Sorry to break the bad news, but you have been posting the same thing everyday for years now. We alert the mods and they delete it quietly so as not to upset you.

😉
    Wait, I'm going to take my Alzheimer med's. AH, now I see. Oh god, I better get back to practicing my kazoo again. It's amazing how much money kazoo players make. Paid for my, no wait, I have to take my meds again.....🙂
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 01:33
    I can see how advancing age might perhaps make one's lyrics "better" although if lyrics reflect [effectively or evocatively] the ideas and feelings of a writer at whatever age they are, be it 17 or 27 or 57, then that is "good" in and of itself, and I don't see how "better" or "worse" would come into it.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 11:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    I can see how advancing age might perhaps make one's lyrics "better" although if lyrics reflect [effectively or evocatively] the ideas and feelings of a writer at whatever age they are, be it 17 or 27 or 57, then that is "good" in and of itself, and I don't see how "better" or "worse" would come into it.
    We could look at the early vs later songs by Bob Dylan. It seems to me the early ones were more powerful and the later ones more playful.

Just a quick observation.

In my own case, I don't write actual songs, at least not yet. I make up new tunes in some kind of style like Irish or Old Timey American or not like either.

I produce more tunes than I can record. If I think up a riff and don't record it, it is gone the next day.

I feel like it doesn't matter, I have the confidence newer ones will turn up.

BTW, do you listen to XM radio? There is a Grateful Dead channel, I have heard a lot of Dead I never knew existed. There used to be a folk channel, channel 62, but they chopped it and even killed the channel, there is no more 62. It was run by a folkie named Mary Sue Twohy but now I think they relegated her to a one hour show on saturdays which I have never listened to as I only listen on my daily commute. I really loved the folk channel and was devastated when it was offed.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 12:50
    We could look at the early vs later songs by Bob Dylan. It seems to me the early ones were more powerful and the later ones more playful.
    I was talking about people like you and me.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 13:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    I was talking about people like you and me.
    Well, in my case, better or worse does not come into it since I had written exactly one tune in all my years of playing in bands.

So now I start writing tunes by the dozen, it's a whole new ball game for me.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '12 14:31
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Then how do you explain Nero? His damnable fiddling doesn't seem to have done him any good.
    Nero was mentally ill. No music or poetry was ever going to heal that rotten, murderous soul. One exception does not set a precedent! Moreover, Nero was a sociopath, a rotten musician, a rotten poet and behaved more akin to today's rappers than a serious musician! Music does not immunize anyone against mental illness nor sociopathic behavior.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '12 14:33

Music is among many intellectual endeavors that staves off cognitive decline. Great that you stay intellectually active unlike many people!
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 19:001 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Nero was mentally ill. No music or poetry was ever going to heal that rotten, murderous soul. One exception does not set a precedent! Moreover, Nero was a sociopath, a rotten musician, a rotten poet and behaved more akin to today's rappers than a serious musician! Music does not immunize anyone against mental illness nor sociopathic behavior.
    Kind of an Idi Amin type, eh. He was said to have burned christians in his garden to have night lights... nice guy.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '12 00:21
    Kind of an Idi Amin type, eh. He was said to have burned christians in his garden to have night lights... nice guy.
    That's a true story! Nero descended from strange stock so it is unsurprising he was nuts. Julio-Claudian dynasty generally, but particularly the admixture of Antonian/Julian/Ahenobarbian/Aggripinan gens could never result in a normal human being! He got the worst of each gene pool! Music would have never staved off anything in this supremely cruel, wife beating, torturer, murderer, gluttunous, alcoholic, quasi musician, quasi poet. How else would he have turned out when his mother married her uncle Claudius then poisoned him with mushrooms and also poisoned the feather poor Claudius used as a vomitive.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Dec '12 12:59
    That's a true story! Nero descended from strange stock so it is unsurprising he was nuts. Julio-Claudian dynasty generally, but particularly the admixture of Antonian/Julian/Ahenobarbian/Aggripinan gens could never result in a normal human being! He got the worst of each gene pool! Music would have never staved off anything in this supremely cruel, wife ...[text shortened]... hen poisoned him with mushrooms and also poisoned the feather poor Claudius used as a vomitive.
    Well, other than that, he was a nice guy, right?
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 14:28
    Well, other than that, he was a nice guy, right?
    NO more self centered man ever existed. Nero razed part of Rome and built the Domus Aureus in his own honor, but first also had to get rid of multiple tenements to "beautify" the city and setting fire to Rome was easier then evicting people and razing the old fashioned way! Hence the great fire he then blamed on Christians, setting thousands on fire to use as torches to light his parties! Other than that I guess he was an affable nut!
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 09:44
    NO more self centered man ever existed. Nero razed part of Rome and built the Domus Aureus in his own honor, but first also had to get rid of multiple tenements to "beautify" the city and setting fire to Rome was easier then evicting people and razing the old fashioned way! Hence the great fire he then blamed on Christians, setting thousands on fire to use as torches to light his parties! Other than that I guess he was an affable nut!
    Shows you what you can do when you have absolute power and there is no media to show you for what you are. I guess most people knew exactly what he was though. He eventually got what he deserved though just 20 years too late.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree