1. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    17 Mar '08 07:03
    Originally posted by Mexico
    God is an Astronaut - All is fragile, all is bright..... Pretty mellow and happy, but definitely worth a listen.

I agree with you on Isis, although some tracks such as "The beginning and the end" do benefit somewhat from his voice. Also you should check out the lyrics, they're actually pretty cool.

Have you heard the scottish band Aereogramme? The've do ...[text shortened]... st didn't really like them(him) beforehand.... It changed my mind to..... Very Impressive
    thanks - i'll check out 'All is fragile...'. i've seen the Aerogramme/Isis fishtank and have often thought about picking it up. another in the fishtank series is Dirty Three and Low - it's pretty good and has a cover of Neil Young's Down By The River. The only Sigur Ros i've listened to is (), which seemed to be innovative synth/vocals over a wedding reception band rhythm section. maybe i should give them another try sometime.
  2. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    17 Mar '08 07:07
    Originally posted by Iron Monkey
    thanks - i'll check out 'All is fragile...'. i've seen the Aerogramme/Isis fishtank and have often thought about picking it up. another in the fishtank series is Dirty Three and Low - it's pretty good and has a cover of Neil Young's Down By The River. The only Sigur Ros i've listened to is (), which seemed to be innovative synth/vocals over a wedding reception band rhythm section. maybe i should give them another try sometime.
    The Isis Aereogramme fishtank is well worth a listen, think Isis with aereogramme vocals (more to it than that but...).

I never got the Low/dirty three one, meant to but never got around to it.

Sigur ros are tough to get into at times and () probably isn't his best work. Check out Takk.... TBH I only gained any appreciation for them after being blown away at a live concert.
  3. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    17 Mar '08 12:48
    on the post-metal front, allow me to recommend Pelican's 'The Fire in our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw', especially the track 'March to the Sea'.
  4. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    17 Mar '08 13:33
    Originally posted by Mexico
    Haven't heard Ganger, but I did love Aereogramme, its a pity about his voice, Ill check Ganger out if I can find em.

Noodly is a good description of tortoise, I like it.

Love Mogwai too, been to see em around 8 or 9 times (5 in one year) bit excessive, but its always a good show.
    Speaking of scottish bands I have to admit, I've been listening to arab s ...[text shortened]... tlas is stupidly catchy, but both B/EP and EP/C are very impressive, and he doesn't sing.....
    Battles were mentioned above - they've been on heavy rotation for a while round my way. As you say, they are pretty close to math rock, but manage to fit in some genuinely pop moments.

Arab Strap were excellent - and both members now have solo projects that are worth checking out.

Mogwai live have to be seen (and, more importantly, heard) to be believed. Noisy, noisy, noisy boys...

Finally, I recently downl... ahem, acquired the Low/Dirty Three In the Fishtank Album, and it's great. I'm quite a fan of both bands, and they come together to marvellous effect.
  5. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 07:19
    listened to both God is an Astronaut and 65daysofstatic on myspace, and i have to say i was far more impressed with the latter. but GIAA were ok too. 65days is on tour supporting The Cure at the moment apparently.
  6. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    19 Mar '08 22:19
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Nice tip - Shout Out Out Out. Right up my street.
    So much so I bought the album. Great fun - thanks again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree