Post rock

Post rock

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
14 Mar 08

Originally posted by Mexico
Way off the mark..... Like wayyyyyyyyyyyyy off.......
In some cases it probably has more in common with classical music than rock music (Godspeed). Although Its a pretty broad genre, can also be used to describe extremely technical music using rock instrumentation.

Think rock instrumentation without the distortion. Also generally abandoning lyrics and the ...[text shortened]... ted with rock music.

Its a silly name but heaps of impressive bands have been tagged with it.
Ok...I was thinking of bands like The Killers

I was indeed way off. You're description actually sounds interesting. Do the new sounds of King Crimson fit?

M
Quis custodiet

ipsos custodes?

Moves
14 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by badmoon
Ok...I was thinking of bands like The Killers

I was indeed way off. You're description actually sounds interesting. Do the new sounds of King Crimson fit?
God I hate the Killers

Can't say I'd have heard much of it but as far as I know its a little before post rock.

If your interested some good bands to check out would be:

Mogwai
Don Cabbellero
Godspeed you! black Emperor
Tortoise
Explosions In the Sky
Battles......

They're all very different and most would get upset at being called post rock. but these and many many others are what people mean when they refer to post rock.

I find the genre title misleading at best and stupid at worst. All the bands above really have in common is that their mostly instrumental. And their songs are on average longer than 5mins.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
14 Mar 08

Post rock?

Hey Hey, My My, Rock and Roll can never die!
My My, Hey Hey, Rock and Roll is here to stay!

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
14 Mar 08

I watched 3 Tortoise songs. Kind of a throw back to early jazz fusion. Give them credit for the vibes.

M
Quis custodiet

ipsos custodes?

Moves
14 Mar 08

Originally posted by badmoon
I watched 3 Tortoise songs. Kind of a throw back to early jazz fusion. Give them credit for the vibes.
Yea tortoise are pretty good, although were kind of the start of it all.

Check out Mogwai - Auto rock if its there its pretty good.......

And if you have a spare 40 mins check out Redeemer = Motherf@@cker parts one and two by godspeed, although each is stupidly long.....

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 Mar 08
1 edit

Well, Julian Cope has been producing some good hard space rock and 'ambient metal' in various guises: Brain Donor (top album title: Drain'd Boner), L.A.M.F., and Julian Cope.

See www.headheritage.com for your own amusement. Read Address Drudion for spiritual upliftment and reviews of obscure noise.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
15 Mar 08

What I've heard reminds me of a band from the 70's called Soft Machine. A very early jazz fusion band before the term was really coined.

IM
Primal Primate

holiest of holies

Moves
15 Mar 08

i'd have to say that Mono's 'You Are There' is the best post rock album-length effort i've heard. listend to some Trans Am in the store a few days backl and wasn't all that impressed - a bit too 'math' for me in some ways. beware though - there are two Monos - the Japanese post rock band, and an English Portishead-ish band.

Dirty Three are good too. i'm going t listen to their 'Ocean Songs' once Mono are finished.

and then there's post metal: Pelican, Red Sparowes, Russian Circles, and their ilk. all very listenable.

M
Quis custodiet

ipsos custodes?

Moves
15 Mar 08

Originally posted by Iron Monkey
i'd have to say that Mono's 'You Are There' is the best post rock album-length effort i've heard. listend to some Trans Am in the store a few days backl and wasn't all that impressed - a bit too 'math' for me in some ways. beware though - there are two Monos - the Japanese post rock band, and an English Portishead-ish band.

Dirty Three are good too. i ...[text shortened]... t metal: Pelican, Red Sparowes, Russian Circles, and their ilk. all very listenable.
Not sure on Red Sparowes, I liked the first album but they kind of lost me after that. As for Metal/post metal I do like Isis quite a bit, and Neurosis at times.

I would a agree on Trans AM, they just don't appeal too much. You should definitley check "God Is An Astronaut" they're tight (Irish Too). What about Mogwai? Mr beast is an fantastic post rock album....

IM
Primal Primate

holiest of holies

Moves
16 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Mexico
Not sure on Red Sparowes, I liked the first album but they kind of lost me after that. As for Metal/post metal I do like Isis quite a bit, and Neurosis at times.

I would a agree on Trans AM, they just don't appeal too much. You should definitley check "God Is An Astronaut" they're tight (Irish Too). What about Mogwai? Mr beast is an fantastic post rock album....
yeah i'm into Isis and Neurosis too, though i think the former would e better as an instrumental band.

a couple of days ago i dusted off a disc by Bardo Pond that i haven't listened to for awhile - Amarita. it's got some great stuff on it - Yellow Turban, Rumination - and one very ordinary track - Be a Fish. recommended.

EDIT: which God is an astronaut disc would you recommend?

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
16 Mar 08

http://www.galleries.com/minerals/gemstone/citrine/cit-6.jpg

We're supposed to post a rock, right? This one's pretty cool.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
16 Mar 08

For those new to the 'genre', there's plenty of tips in the posts above - but I'd like to add Sigur Ros. Other than being Icelandic and singing in falsetto in a made up language, they're quite accessible. Honestly. The album Takk or the double EP Hvarf/Heim are probably the best place to start. (My ex recently gave her father a copy of the latter, and he quite liked it, and he's a 65-year-old classical fan).

M
Quis custodiet

ipsos custodes?

Moves
16 Mar 08

Originally posted by Iron Monkey
yeah i'm into Isis and Neurosis too, though i think the former would e better as an instrumental band.

a couple of days ago i dusted off a disc by Bardo Pond that i haven't listened to for awhile - Amarita. it's got some great stuff on it - Yellow Turban, Rumination - and one very ordinary track - Be a Fish. recommended.

EDIT: which God is an astronaut disc would you recommend?
God is an Astronaut - All is fragile, all is bright..... Pretty mellow and happy, but definitely worth a listen.

I agree with you on Isis, although some tracks such as "The beginning and the end" do benefit somewhat from his voice. Also you should check out the lyrics, they're actually pretty cool.

Have you heard the scottish band Aereogramme? The've done a cross over with Isis called "In the Fishtank" which is amazing. But their own stuff (Album; Sleep and Release) is pretty good too, if a bit aggressive at times.

As to Sigur Ros, they are amazing....... I saw them play in Belgium and to be honest didn't really like them(him) beforehand.... It changed my mind to..... Very Impressive

D
incipit parodia

Moves
17 Mar 08

Aereogramme were OK, but I *much* preferred the band from whose ashes Aereogramme emerged: another Scottish band called Ganger.

Rhythm-heavy, they were (sort of) like a Scottish version of Tortoise; less noodly and a bit more aggressive. Or like some weird Tortoise/Mogwai crossover.

On Sigur Ros, I don't think it should work - it's emotionally over-wrought (and veers towards prog moments at its worst - a constant danger for most of the bands we've been discussing), but it remains effective and engaging. And they use a variety of odd instruments, which is always nice.

M
Quis custodiet

ipsos custodes?

Moves
17 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by DrKF
Aereogramme were OK, but I *much* preferred the band from whose ashes Aereogramme emerged: another Scottish band called Ganger.

Rhythm-heavy, they were (sort of) like a Scottish version of Tortoise; less noodly and a bit more aggressive. Or like some weird Tortoise/Mogwai crossover.

On Sigur Ros, I don't think it should work - it's emotionally over-wrough ains effective and engaging. And they use a variety of odd instruments, which is always nice.
Haven't heard Ganger, but I did love Aereogramme, its a pity about his voice, Ill check Ganger out if I can find em.

Noodly is a good description of tortoise, I like it.

Love Mogwai too, been to see em around 8 or 9 times (5 in one year) bit excessive, but its always a good show.
Speaking of scottish bands I have to admit, I've been listening to arab strap a lot recently, although my Jury is still out on them.

Speaking of odd instrumentation, you listened to much Battles? There new album is almost popy in places, Atlas is stupidly catchy, but both B/EP and EP/C are very impressive, and he doesn't sing.....