1. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 13:50
    Nice tip - Shout Out Out Out. Right up my street.

In return, may I suggest Apparat Organ Quartet?

Off to see 'Holy F-Word' at the end of the month - all the reviews are positively glowing, so I'm pretty excited.

Not as excited as I am about going to see Portishead about a week later, mind...
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 14:05
    Originally posted by DrKF
    You certainly may.

Noted.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 15:08
    Nice tip - Shout Out Out Out. Right up my street.

Off to see 'Holy F-Word' at the end of the month - all the reviews are positively glowing, so I'm pretty excited.

Not as excited as I am about going to see Portishead about a week later, mind...
    You might like "Cuff the Duke"

Alot of buzz around these guys in these parts.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 15:181 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    You might like "Cuff the Duke"

Alot of buzz around these guys in these parts.
    They're more country, no?

I've never really dug these guys. They've been around for years but I've never been impressed by what I've seen or heard on more than a few occassions.

The biggest buzz in Toronto right now is over Crystal Castles whom I think are absolutely mediocre. Their sound comprised of dissonant 8-bit midi tracks with (at times) distorted atonal female vocals a la Hanin Elias.

Their new album is due any day now so keep your ears peeled for the unending fawning that will commence from all the faggy internet pundits. 😴

EDIT - JESUS, even Rolling Stone are getting on the bandwagon early.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/blogs/breaking/2008/02/breaking-artist-crystal-castle.php#
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 16:27
    Originally posted by darvlay
    They're more country, no?

I've never really dug these guys. They've been around for years but I've never been impressed by what I've seen or heard on more than a few occassions.

Countryish. I'm not a classifier though so I can't put a genre label on them. They kinda reminded me of a toned down Primus a bit.

A couple decent songs but don't know the whole history. they're opening for Blue Rodeo now.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 16:48
    Countryish. I'm not a classifier though so I can't put a genre label on them. They kinda reminded me of a toned down Primus a bit.

A couple decent songs but don't know the whole history. they're opening for Blue Rodeo now.
    They're country.
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 17:001 edit
    They're country.
    dont' think HOBO NIGHT STALKER sounds kinda primus-ish?

Country to me means Johnny Cash or Garth Brooks or Dolly parton :>

Granted though, I deleted a few other ones I thought were crap after about 30 secs of listening...don't rememeber how they sounded.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 17:05
    dont' think HOBO NIGHT STALKER sounds kinda primus-ish?

Country to me means Johnny Cash or Garth Brooks or Dolly parton :>

Granted though, I deleted a few other ones I thought were crap after about 30 secs of listening...don't rememeber how they sounded.
    More like Wilco's AM (although not nearly as good) or Son Volt type of country. I've never heard Primus anywhere in their music but then again, you are the MASTER at comparing songs and artists so I'll refer to your judgment on that.
  9. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 17:161 edit
    More like Wilco's AM (although not nearly as good) or Son Volt type of country. I've never heard Primus anywhere in their music but then again, you are the MASTER at comparing songs and artists so I'll refer to your judgment on that.
    never got into wilco or son volt. will check it out.

But I was thinking Winona's got a big brown beaver played at 33 speed instead of 45....ie slowed down.
  10. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 18:07
    Wilco's 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' is my favourite - i's their most experimental, but still has some gorgeous tunes...
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 18:56
    Wilco's 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' is my favourite - i's their most experimental, but still has some gorgeous tunes...
    I would argue that 'A Ghost is Born' is their sonic-tinkering album but I agree that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is their best. It's definitely my favourite followed by Summer Teeth.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 02:46
    Ah post-rock. It was part of the whole 90s trend when it was cool to compartmentalize music as much as possible. Thankfully those days are well over...
    I am curious as to why you would say this. What does it matter if terminology develops that helps people to communicate in very specific ways about music? I accept it might not interest you (just as it scarcely interests me) but you say Thankfully those days are well over - which is interesting. What benefit is there for you from a situation in which other people (writers and listeners) are no longer compartmentalizing music?
  13. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 05:16
    Post rock is a horrible term, particularly for a genre which encompasses some of the more beautiful music of the last while. Personally I'm a huge Mogwai fan, and a few other UK acts, check out 65daysofstatic and God is an Astronaut, both are very good.

Went to see explosions in the sky recently, they're good but nothing special. Mono however are an impressive live act, saw them a few years back.

Whoever it is saw Godspeed live..... I hate you.....

check out Battles if your leaning toward the math rock side too, they're pretty good.
  14. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 21:48
    I think I figured it out. Post rock is that bubblegum rock that came after Colbain's death. It has no connection to the roots of rock music, meaning the blues. It has more in common with The Archies than the Rolling Stones.
  15. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 22:15
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I think I figured it out. Post rock is that bubblegum rock that came after Colbain's death. It has no connection to the roots of rock music, meaning the blues. It has more in common with The Archies than the Rolling Stones.
    Way off the mark..... Like wayyyyyyyyyyyyy off.......
    In some cases it probably has more in common with classical music than rock music (Godspeed). Although Its a pretty broad genre, can also be used to describe extremely technical music using rock instrumentation.

Think rock instrumentation without the distortion. Also generally abandoning lyrics and the usual power chords and other techniques associated with rock music.

Its a silly name but heaps of impressive bands have been tagged with it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree